Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My mum says that girls/women should always wear a skirt to interview - just in case the person interviweing you might be an old-fashioned kind of person who doesn't think women should wear trousers (yes, they do still exist!).
    lol, my mum says that too Though my legs did feel numb from walking outside to get to my interviews as it really is freezing cold when you're there, so invest in a good pair of tights if you do opt for a skirt

ReputationRep:
    Yup, smart casual. Im a girl, and i wore a blue long sleeved fitted shirt, and pin striped trousers. I saw one girl in a hoody and jeans. To be honest, she stood out and looked abit like she didnt care much. Your trying to put across and image, so show your bothered.

ReputationRep:
    well, i wore a suit and got an offer... it wasnt painfully smart though, and i wore a great (but slightly too low cut, eek) shirt under my jacket. i bought the suit specially, but it was bargainous and i wear the trousers and jacket a lot anyway, much to me mum's distress (hehe). um, i dont wear them together, by the way, the jacket is good with jeans!

of my two friends that got in, one wore a suit a lot like mine, the other wore smart trousers, top and smart cord jacket. oh, the friend who wore a suit and i both wore really nice shoes, but i think she carried hers off better than i did, my heels weren't too appropriate for the cobbled streets! i reckon the most important thing is whatever is comfortable, but for me that was a suit, i quite liked wearing it and even though i was the 'smartest' of the female applicants i saw at my college, i still felt i'd made the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt wear a suit, or even a tie for that matter. Just simple shirt and pants. Got an offer from Magdalen.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't wear a suit and got an offer. I haven't worn one for over four years and to be honest, I'd have felt really uncomfortable had I done so for my interview. Instead, I chose to wear a white shirt, black trousers.

My friend who didn't get an offer went to New Hall in a pinstripe suit. She told me afterwards that she was the only one dressed so formally.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest I don't even own a suit.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    to be honest I don't even own a suit.
    Every man needs a suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Every man needs a suit.
    Well - I need (and have) one now, but I certainly didn't wear one to my interview. That would've been pretentious and completely unnecessary - they're looking at the person, not the clothes. Most academics are complete tramps (slight generalisation, but true nonetheless)!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Well - I need (and have) one now, but I certainly didn't wear one to my interview. That would've been pretentious and completely unnecessary
    I didn't feel pretentious in mine. Tis just what I would wear to an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I didn't feel pretentious in mine. Tis just what I would wear to an interview.
    Aaaah, well - different people. Wear what you feel comfortable in. Maybe pretentious people feel comfortable in suits...
    (j/k)

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I wore a suit to my interview, but I felt really self conscious walking around cambridge wearing it so I wore a coat over the top right until I got into the interview room.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, I have to wear a suit evverryy day for school, so I took advantage of not having to wear one for once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKeen)
    Just wondered how many of those who got accepted wore suits etc for their interview? Coming from an all-boys school this is what we're encouraged to do! Had a bad year this time round, although one guy turned up to his interview wearing jeans and a T-shirt and still got an AAA offer for Engineering. I know that the official line is that the admissions tutors don't care- but supposedly a suit etc makes a better impression. On the other hand, i suppose you risk looking like a ponce. Any thoughts?
    Really doesn't matter. When i went for my interview at Ox they really were just concerned with my potential for the subject (physics). I wore my jimi hendrix T-shirt and jeans that still smelt of **** after going into the city and sampling the local liquor the night before. I still got an offer of 3As, n I really wasn't the cleverest or best there, I just kept eye contact and showed them how much i loved the subject

ReputationRep:
    All you need is clothes you are comfortable in. Just a shirt and smartish trousers for me and got an offer for maths at Trinity (comp school guy). Not being used to a suit (I have only worn a suit three times in my life), I would have felt completely out of it and it would have just been another thing to worry about. I had enough on my plate already.

However, as many people have said, your clothes should not be so high on anybody's priority list. Just revise and read around your subject (and other academic extras), as this is far more important. My interview was fairly informal anyway (admittantly, it was a maths one where I talked through answers to a test I'd just done and there was no general interview - the only question they asked about me was "how many students are there in your maths group?") with the two tutors (both fairly young) offered me tea and a biscuit then sat down on their sofas around the table.

ReputationRep:
    Wear what your comfortable in:

I wear a suit every day for school so i feel normal in a suit. I was in a suit read for my interview about 20 minutes before and suddenly decided I would be even more comfortable in jeans and a T.

I got into (smart) jeans and a zip-up fleece thing, felt comfortable, (had an awful interview) and got a place for PPE.

ReputationRep:
    i wore a normal outfit, completely casual... with converse etc... and the interview guy and i ended up having a conversation about how people overdress and aren't themselves!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.