The Student Room Group

So few graduate jobs around ...

Anyone else finding this issue?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
???
Reply 2
No. In Aberdeen graduate jobs are aplenty if you're mad for working in oil.
I don't know what sort of work you're looking for, But I would speak to recruitment agencies and to your university career department. Also the internet is big, look for magazine tailored to your specific industry they will give you an idea of where you should be looking for jobs. Be prepared to have to an Internship unpaid, but with expenses. But there are jobs, you just have to look. You could try the grad job route, but there is a lot of competition there. Start smaller, look for entry level work where they offer training. Call up companies and ask if they have work schemes or internships. I think it depends on what you're looking for, but you have to remain pro-active. I want to go in to marketing/PR in the media industry and I've realised that best way to do through sales. I'll progress in the company and do a sideways move to that department or move abroad internationally to one of their offices. There are a quite a few sales jobs around. I'm based in London, so I'm lucky to be close to everything in terms of jobs.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:
Reply 4
@serious.sam, tell us of your experience then we could perhaps relate / try and help you! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Are you looking now for 2012 positions? That might be the issue.
Original post by M1011
Are you looking now for 2012 positions? That might be the issue.

2012 positions implies that he's looking for ONLY graduate schemes. Graduate jobs that offer an immediate start or a September start are a different matter entirely.

I agree, OP. Graduate roles are scarce right now. I can only hope that there are more graduate job opportunities with immediate starts in October. Failing that, hopefully in January. If not, I think I'm screwed.
Reply 7
As long as your willing to be flexible and not stick to just one dream job as you could work for any company doing nearly anything and are willing to possibly change where you live then nope. There are many graduate jobs around the world for graduates.
Reply 8
Original post by wanderlust.xx
2012 positions implies that he's looking for ONLY graduate schemes. Graduate jobs that offer an immediate start or a September start are a different matter entirely.

I agree, OP. Graduate roles are scarce right now. I can only hope that there are more graduate job opportunities with immediate starts in October. Failing that, hopefully in January. If not, I think I'm screwed.

So missing all the graduate scheme dates doesn't hurt ones chances at finding a graduate job? They didn't seem to be scarce when I was looking in January.
Reply 9
I am a bit confused between graduate jobs, and graduate schemes. as I thought they were the same thing? jobs that are specifically targeted at 'graduates' tend to be schemes that open around october - december, a lot of them it is advised you apply before november as competition is high. any starting october 2012 will be full no doubt, there are a few that have both september and january starts though so some january ones may still have places.

If you mean 'graduate' job as in a 'job' where you require qualifications, then its really just a job, as so many 'normal' (ie: not a 2 years contract scheme) jobs require a degree etc.

from my graduating year summer 2011, the ones who struggled to find work are the ones who were restricted for where they could live (ie: family commitments), but all the others who were willing to move and stretch the comfort zone found good jobs
Reply 10
Original post by Twinkle1
I am a bit confused between graduate jobs, and graduate schemes. as I thought they were the same thing? jobs that are specifically targeted at 'graduates' tend to be schemes that open around october - december, a lot of them it is advised you apply before november as competition is high. any starting october 2012 will be full no doubt, there are a few that have both september and january starts though so some january ones may still have places.

If you mean 'graduate' job as in a 'job' where you require qualifications, then its really just a job, as so many 'normal' (ie: not a 2 years contract scheme) jobs require a degree etc.

from my graduating year summer 2011, the ones who struggled to find work are the ones who were restricted for where they could live (ie: family commitments), but all the others who were willing to move and stretch the comfort zone found good jobs

Graduate schemes are usually 1 or 2 year schemes where you are rotated between different departments in a company to see what you are best at.
This is my knowledge anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by Laalalala
@serious.sam, tell us of your experience then we could perhaps relate / try and help you! :biggrin:

No experience as I have only just graduated, I have only really had part time jobs as a waiter that are not related to what I'm looking for. (Marketing type jobs)
Reply 12
Original post by serious.sam
Graduate schemes are usually 1 or 2 year schemes where you are rotated between different departments in a company to see what you are best at.
This is my knowledge anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

yeah, I know this - I was just wondering what you/others saw as the difference between these and graduate jobs? As I see them as the same thing.
I am a bit confused between graduate jobs,

A graduate scheme is usually run by a large company that has a once or twice per year bulk entry of graduates. They then either rotate these graduates through a series of different departments, or they have a structured training packages in a single work stream that was part of the selection process. Graduate schemes have traditionally been very competitive and seen as a good thing to get on to. This is because large employers are able to hold national recruitment campaigns so they can be highly selective and they have an internal structure where they can fast track graduates into more senior roles.

A graduate job is simply a job where the employer has decided the person they recruit needs a degree.

The problem with both these terms is that they have no protection. Anyone can use the term to describe anything. So in particular employers will describe their entry as a 'graduate scheme' when in fact it is not very selective, there is no well thought out training programme and there is no chance of accelerated promotion. In fact all it is is bulk recruitment, not unlike the start of term at uni.

Similarly an employer can say a job is a graduate job, but that doesn't mean it is. It may be something you could perfectly well have done with A levels. But employers know the job title will appeal, and there are so many grads out there, they aren't really limiting their recruitment pool.

So be very cautious when you are looking at jobs, especially through volume recruitment agencies like Monster, Reeds, Fish4jobs etc etc etc. Anyone can call anything a Grad scheme and anyone can say they have a graduate job vacancy.
Reply 14
i think one thing that puts people off also is the word graduate as often people think they need to of graduated that year to be eligible but not always the case!
i think one thing that puts people off also is the word graduate as often people think they need to of graduated that year to be eligible but not always the case!

Well there's no accounting for idiots. Seriously, if people think they can get a professional career with as little research and engagement as a mistake like that would require, then they deserve whatever they don't get.

It is thinking like this that makes employers moan about spoon fed A level students and graduates who expect everything delivered to them with full revision notes, a transparent marking scheme and the ability to retake modules forever until they get what they want. Employment just isn't like that, and part of joining the adult world is taking control of your own destiny because no-one else will.
Reply 16
Original post by threeportdrift
Well there's no accounting for idiots. Seriously, if people think they can get a professional career with as little research and engagement as a mistake like that would require, then they deserve whatever they don't get.

It is thinking like this that makes employers moan about spoon fed A level students and graduates who expect everything delivered to them with full revision notes, a transparent marking scheme and the ability to retake modules forever until they get what they want. Employment just isn't like that, and part of joining the adult world is taking control of your own destiny because no-one else will.

I agree, have been to plenty of assessment centres where people were shocked they got through as they thought they didn't have good enough grades, or hadn't worked enough, or were too old. when they had find grades, had worked a bit but more importantly were able to demonstrate the competencies needed for the job.

Right because, with the exception of unlimited module retakes, this isn't exactly what happens in say a tough and respected accountancy professional qualification like the ACA? Are you saying employers don't pack graduates (and now employees) off to college to be spoon fed everything, word by word, with a complete set of ready made notes on day 1, past papers and detailed marking schemes with feedback to the extent of actively pointing out where to drop difficult marks and gain the easiest marks?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Darth Vader.
Right because, with the exception of unlimited module retakes, this isn't exactly what happens in say a tough and respected accountancy professional qualification like the ACA? Are you saying employers don't pack graduates (and now employees) off to college to be spoon fed everything, word by word, with a complete set of ready made notes on day 1, past papers and detailed marking schemes with feedback to the extent of actively pointing out where to drop difficult marks and gain the easiest marks?

It is a commercial qualification, not an academic one. It is structured, like the GDL etc to take as much money from you as possible. It isn't a 'respected' or particularly 'tough', it's just a fairly dull slog and a mandatory requirement for a very narrow spectrum of specific careers. Most people who have successful in careers post AC(C)A demonstrate very many skills beyond the hoop jumping of that qualification.
It is a commercial qualification, not an academic one. It is structured, like the GDL etc to take as much money from you as possible. It isn't a 'respected' or particularly 'tough', it's just a fairly dull slog and a mandatory requirement for a very narrow spectrum of specific careers. Most people who have successful in careers post AC(C)A demonstrate very many skills beyond the hoop jumping of that qualification.

And this has what to do with your point about employers disliking and moaning about spoon fed graduates and their expectancy to have everything delivered to them on a platter? My rebuttal was clear: this moaned about practice is used beyond university and within the realm of employment itself. Employers, some with a lot of influence over course content governed by professional bodies (ICAS etc), may dictate the structure of a course (those that don't, aren't completely oblivious about the course and qualification that they pay for), and pack off their graduates to been spoon fed every single thing about a qualification during their 3 year training period, giving them complete notes on day 1. So employment can be like that.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending