The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Medicine AS Results Advice & Discussion Thread

Use this thread for any discussion and questions related to AS results you have received.

CashingAs of last year, state schools have to cash in AS results or risk big fines. This means you will have to declare your AS results on your UCAS application, and so you won't be able to hide poor AS results behind good A2 predictions. Medical schools take your AS grades into consideration or use them as an indicator of how accurate your A2 predictions are. Generally, a prediction above AS grade + 1 would be considered excessive.

Private schools have the choice of cashing in or not; however, note that most private schools do cash in AS grades. Schools also put on their references whether or not it is their policy to cash in AS grades, and if you decide not to declare your AS grades but it is your school policy to declare them then that is not going to reflect well on your application.

Not
Bad AS grades will not necessarily kill your medical application. It is still unclear how many universities use AS grades and as long as your school can predict you A*AA/AAA (and you can ACHIEVE A*AA/AAA) then your application stands a chance. You can resit AS modules in your A2 year in order to pull your grades up.

Carrying
You're expected to carry on a minimum of 3 subjects to A2. To maximise the number of schools that you meet the entry requirements for, ensure that these three include Chemistry and Biology.
If you wish to carry on all 4, make sure that this will not be detrimental to your overall grades - AAA is always better than AABB, and if you enter 4 subjects on your UCAS form the medical school can make you an offer based on all four grades. If you subsequently drop a subject after your UCAS form is submitted, you need to inform UCAS and the medical schools, and any offer made can be rescinded since you would be changing the information that they made your offer based on.

Scroll to see replies

not looking forward to tomorrow...
Reply 2
Great, so I can't even uncertify them any more? Fantastic.

Thanks for the info, terrifed about tommorow and not sure that my results (or me) are going to be good enough. How come private schools get the choice and us state schoolers don't?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Use this thread for any discussion and questions related to AS results you have received.

CashingAs of last year, state schools have to cash in AS results or risk big fines. This means you will have to declare your AS results on your UCAS application, and so you won't be able to hide poor AS results behind good A2 predictions. Medical schools take your AS grades into consideration or use them as an indicator of how accurate your A2 predictions are. Generally, a prediction above AS grade + 1 would be considered excessive.

Private schools have the choice of cashing in or not; however, note that most private schools do cash in AS grades. Schools also put on their references whether or not it is their policy to cash in AS grades, and if you decide not to declare your AS grades but it is your school policy to declare them then that is not going to reflect well on your application.

Not
Bad AS grades will not necessarily kill your medical application. It is still unclear how many universities use AS grades and as long as your school can predict you A*AA/AAA (and you can ACHIEVE A*AA/AAA) then your application stands a chance. You can resit AS modules in your A2 year in order to pull your grades up.

Carrying
You're expected to carry on a minimum of 3 subjects to A2. To maximise the number of schools that you meet the entry requirements for, ensure that these three include Chemistry and Biology.
If you wish to carry on all 4, make sure that this will not be detrimental to your overall grades - AAA is always better than AABB, and if you enter 4 subjects on your UCAS form the medical school can make you an offer based on all four grades. If you subsequently drop a subject after your UCAS form is submitted, you need to inform UCAS and the medical schools, and any offer made can be rescinded since you would be changing the information that they made your offer based on.

When you say cashing in AS-levels, what if I'm in a special situation re: modules? I've taken 8 modules for maths, and you need 3 for an AS, 3 for an A2. Does it matter that much how I cash them in - will my teachers guide me on how to do it?
Reply 4
Original post by Junaid96
When you say cashing in AS-levels, what if I'm in a special situation re: modules? I've taken 8 modules for maths, and you need 3 for an AS, 3 for an A2. Does it matter that much how I cash them in - will my teachers guide me on how to do it?

Your exam board will sort it automatically - your results slip will have your individual module grades and an overall grade for your AS/A2. They pick the modules for each qualification to give you the best possible grade, so long as it meets the requirements of e.g. C1 & C2 for AS.
Original post by Junaid96

Your exam board should decide what modules exactly to cash for you to give you the best possible grade in maths and if you are taking it FM.
Reply 6
Original post by myyrh
You are in an unusual situation because most who resit do so after A2. So some of the circumstances may be different. The following Universities accept resitters. They each have certain criteria which needs to be met.

UEA- BBB in first sitting and then A*AA in resat subjects

Liverpool- CCC in first sitting and then AAA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in personal statement.

Lancaster - CCC in first sitting and then AAA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in personal statement.

Soton - Only allowed to resit one A level subject

BSMS- Required to have achieved AAB first sitting then A*AA

Keele- AAA/A*AB must apply with achieved grades.

Manchester - AAB in first sitting and then A*AA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on need to resit in personal statement .

Peninsula - AAB first sitting then AAA/A*AA

As you can see there are a fair few who consider resitters but on the basis of resitting after A2. So you would have to ask each university if they would consider you. Out of the unis I have mentioned, Keele would consider you, but that would be after your 3 years of A levels. Hope this helps.
Peninsula -
Well Keele accept resitters but you are required to achieve your grades first and then apply.

So basically i got my grades today and i didn't do to well im in A2. Should i retake the exams and apply next year or apply this year saying im going to retake? Should i then book my ukcat?
thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kurdabora
So basically i got my grades today and i didn't do to well im in A2. Should i retake the exams and apply next year or apply this year saying im going to retake? Should i then book my ukcat?
thanks

It would depend on what grades you've got firstly. You would apply this year filling in your UCAS with the achieved grade as well as the predicted grade for the resit. You would also need to sit the UKCAT this year.
Reply 8
There are some universities who have lower grade boundaries for people who come from a disadvantaged background. I know UEA and Southampton have a 6 year course, but the subject requirements are like the normal 5 year course ones

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Hi guys, sorry to bother you but I was wondering whether I still have a chance to apply for medicine at nottingham, keele and leicester. I got abbb, b in chemistry maths and english and a in biology. Im predicted (for my a2) a*aa , and I was wondering, based solely on grades, do I still have a chance to apply for medicine? By the way, I got 8 A* and 4 A's for my gcses. Thanks :smile:

Reply 10
Original post by Wwalagb
Hi guys, sorry to bother you but I was wondering whether I still have a chance to apply for medicine at nottingham, keele and leicester. I got abbb, b in chemistry maths and english and a in biology. Im predicted (for my a2) a*aa , and I was wondering, based solely on grades, do I still have a chance to apply for medicine? By the way, I got 8 A* and 4 A's for my gcses. Thanks :smile:

ABBB is not a particularly bad set of AS results, don't worry. You still have a good chance for medicine as long as your school predicts you AAA, which you say they have. You can resit AS modules in your A2 year to pull up your UMS average.
Original post by kurdabora
thanks

It's up to you, If you do decide to retake A levels outside of the 2 year time frame then you should check out this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies in order to see where you are eligible to apply
Original post by Beska
ABBB is not a particularly bad set of AS results, don't worry. You still have a good chance for medicine as long as your school predicts you AAA, which you say they have. You can resit AS modules in your A2 year to pull up your UMS average.

If you get AAB , but Predicted A*AA , what are my chances?? Which ones would the Uni take more into consideration? Also i missed the A (:frown:) by 2 ums?? Remark?
Original post by The Unique Bloke
If you get AAB , but Predicted A*AA , what are my chances?? Which ones would the Uni take more into consideration? Also i missed the A (:frown:) by 2 ums?? Remark?

Are you talking about AS results, or A2 results? :smile:
Reply 14

AAB at AS and predicted A*AA? That should be fine.

Talk to your teachers about the remark, it sounds like that might be a good idea. If worst comes to worst you can always resit AS modules in your A2 year.
Reply 15

Predictions (so long as they're realistic) count for a lot. You can resit AS modules in your A2 to bring up your UMS.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Are you talking about AS results, or A2 results? :smile:

Original post by Beska
AAB at AS and predicted A*AA? That should be fine.

Talk to your teachers about the remark, it sounds like that might be a good idea. If worst comes to worst you can always resit AS modules in your A2 year.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Predictions (so long as they're realistic) count for a lot. You can resit AS modules in your A2 to bring up your UMS.

Yeah AS results.
How does a resit help? Since we have to submit actual AS grades in our UCAS form by October.. Does writing resit pending make a difference?
Reply 17
Yeah AS results.
How does a resit help? Since we have to submit actual AS grades in our UCAS form by October.. Does writing resit pending make a difference?

No, doesn't help in that way but it might make it easier to meet your predictions.
The Unique Bloke
Thank you so much for helping me.

So i want to apply for Medicine , i got my AS grades as AAB , i knew i messed up Chemistry , and i missed the A in that by 2 UMS , do you think a remark would help?? I am planning on sending both unit 1 and 2 for it. My predicted are mostly going to be A*AA or a more unlikely A*A*A. Which will the uni take more into consideration , my predicted or actual AS grades.
So if hopefully i do well enough on my UKCAT exam , do i have a good chance of offers? Also since i have to enter my grades into my UCAS , will writing resit pending for one chemistry module make a difference?

Replying to your PM here so that others can use the same advice if it applies to them.

A remark could help, or it could potentially lower your marks also. That's the risk. However it might be worth it, and you can always resit modules from AS in your A2 year if you so desire.

Which the uni takes into consideration more depends on the medical school, Cambridge will place a lot of emphasis on your AS results, whereas BL will look more at your predictions, to name a few examples.

You can check A level requirements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

It may make a difference, but you should aim to make sure that the rest of your application makes the medical school want to interview you and offer you a place anyway :tongue:
Reply 19
Yeah AS results.

The end result - your A2 grades - is what matters to get you into medical school or not. If you're resitting an AS module, you're doing something that's likely to improve your final grades. The fact that you're resitting shows that you don't think that result reflects your ability in that subject, which is what they're trying to assess when they look at your application.

Quick Reply

Latest