Is it safe to give a your sort code and acc number to a stranger?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
taylorg292
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm a blogger and media companies have been contacting me recently to place ads on my blog, and I thought the safest way to be paid for this was to use my paypal. However even though it wasn't an ebay transaction, paypal is taking an annoying chunk of what I'm earning.
Would it be safe to give my sort code and acc number to the media companies and ask them to do a direct transfer? Is there anyway this could result in me being scammed?
MJ1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Unless you know the company very well it is not safe to give this kind of information out.
py0alb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Perfectly safe. here's mine 12-34-56 12345678. Your turn now.
dknt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe Jeremy Clarkson believed it was perfectly safe and put his in his news column and a diabetic society helped themselves to something like £500 :awesome:
Palatial Veranda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As safe as rowing to Bermuda on a wheelie-bin lid.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can't pull cash out of an account with just that info... But otoh people leak a lot of information on sites like facebook, tsr etc that could be used for identity fraud. If someone knew your bank account numbers plus birthday, where you live, mothers maiden name, first pet etc which is often used as backup id by banks they might be able to rip you off.
The pro way of doing it would be to set up a no overdraft account just for recieving money and transfer any balance in there to your main account every day.
ily_em
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cheques have the sort code and account number on them, don't they?
miser
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's supposed to be safe, but whether it is in practice is in reality just to rely on bank staff insisting on protocol.
mimx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
The pro way of doing it would be to set up a no overdraft account just for recieving money and transfer any balance in there to your main account every day.
In some countries banks have an online service where you can generate temporary account/credit card numbers that are linked to your main account e.g. for a one-off purchase online. I always thought that was pretty cool.
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In theory, the details can be used to set up a direct debit, however my bank at least text me whenever any direct debits or standing orders are set up, and as long as you check your bank details often, and notice any unauthorised payments in the 'processing' stage where you can cancel them you should be fine.

(Original post by ily_em)
Cheques have the sort code and account number on them, don't they?
I believe so, yes. I know some bank cards do as well (printed on), so the details could in theory be written down if you used the card in a shop.
taylorg292
Rep:
?
(Original post by MJ1993)
Unless you know the company very well it is not safe to give this kind of information out.
The media company seems legit, they've paid me once before so I don't think they'd see a reason to scam me seocnd time round :confused:
PaperBoy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Perfectly safe. here's mine 12-34-56 12345678. Your turn now.
Thanks a lot. *Runs to the bank now*
fuzznbass
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Couldn't you ask them for their details first ? and then you could check to see if they are legit.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dknt)
I believe Jeremy Clarkson believed it was perfectly safe and put his in his news column and a diabetic society helped themselves to something like £500 :awesome:
That was after they found out his address aswell though.

So long as they dont have your address aswell theres really not much they can do with it, except give you money
jacketpotato
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It should be OK as long as you monitor your bank account.

Many businesses - even very large ones - spread their details quite widely. When I was invoiced for my laptop the account number and sort code appeared at the bottom of the invoice even though I wasn't paying by bank transfer. A fraudster could set up a direct debit if he forged your signature and the bank accepted the forgery, but you should be refunded if that happens.
MJ1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by taylorg292)
The media company seems legit, they've paid me once before so I don't think they'd see a reason to scam me seocnd time round :confused:
But if they asked for your account number and sort code that is kinda dodgy :/
taylorg292
Rep:
?
(Original post by MJ1993)
But if they asked for your account number and sort code that is kinda dodgy :/
They didn't ask me for it, they asked for my paypal account. But paypal is taking a chunk out of it each time I get paid.
Rhonut
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Talk to your bank?
MJ1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by taylorg292)
They didn't ask me for it, they asked for my paypal account. But paypal is taking a chunk out of it each time I get paid.
PayPal take a chunk of the money?! I did not realise that, I'm sure there are other ways of receiving the money without giving out information which could mean you getting robbed

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
DazA
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ever heard of a cheque?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed