Watch
This discussion is closed.
need_help
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Question:

Electronic photographic flash guns usually involve a capacitor being charged to a relatively high voltage, then discharged through a flash tube containing a very small quantity of xenon gas.

If a discharge is to produce a flash equivalent to a 1000W bulb lit for 1ms, calculate the voltage to which a 100 micro F (10-6) capacitor should be charged.

State any assumptions you have made.

................................ ...........................

I would appreciate any ideas. I'm currently working on a few methods but as of yet haven't reached a satisfactory answer. Cheers.

Please explain any workings you use to get your answers
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You can calculate the energy using E = Pt = 1000*1*10^-3

You can then use E = (1/2)CV^2 to calculate the voltage across the capacitor. Rearrange in terms of V and then substitute your value for E in.
need_help
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
You can calculate the energy using E = Pt = 1000*1*10^-3

You can then use E = (1/2)CV^2 to calculate the voltage across the capacitor. Rearrange in terms of V and then substitute your value for E in.
ahh....cunning - cheers
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by need_help)
ahh....cunning - cheers
No prob. Assumptions: I think you say you're assuming that exactly half of the energy stored in the capacitor is used to produce the flash, the other half will be wasted. Not 100% sure on that though.
Rustyk1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
No prob. Assumptions: I think you say you're assuming that exactly half of the energy stored in the capacitor is used to produce the flash, the other half will be wasted. Not 100% sure on that though.
no, i think this last bit is wrong. you are assuming that 100% of the energy stored in the capacitor is used to produce the flash. in reality this ofcourse is wrong as energy is lost as heat, sound (a bit) etc.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (18)
38.3%
Take autumn exams (18)
38.3%
Look for a job (1)
2.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (1)
2.13%
Take a year out (6)
12.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
6.38%

Watched Threads