Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People keep saying GCSE's are easy, but the amount of coursework is just stupid, especially (sp?) when you go to a stupid like mine where is all comes at once e.g in the space of 3 weeks I have my art exam, maths coursework in (v.long stats one), media practical (filming, editing etc), science coursework, my drama exam... the list is endless. And it's really evil because I have my drama exam then art the next day! I'm a bit stressed about it... but my friend who has less than me to do broke down in tears today because she couldn't do the maths (cos we got a crap teacher), so when most people would've hugged her I taught her maths seemed to do the trick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    People keep saying GCSE's are easy, but the amount of coursework is just stupid, especially (sp?) when you go to a stupid like mine where is all comes at once e.g in the space of 3 weeks I have my art exam, maths coursework in (v.long stats one), media practical (filming, editing etc), science coursework, my drama exam... the list is endless. And it's really evil because I have my drama exam then art the next day! I'm a bit stressed about it... but my friend who has less than me to do broke down in tears today because she couldn't do the maths (cos we got a crap teacher), so when most people would've hugged her I taught her maths seemed to do the trick...

the amount of subjects is too much, some subjects are unecessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    the amount of subjects is too much, some subjects are unecessary
    I like most of my subjects but the amount of coursework is stupid e.g geography 2 projects averaging at 60+ pages each, maths statistics at least 50 pages...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I like most of my subjects but the amount of coursework is stupid e.g geography 2 projects averaging at 60+ pages each, maths statistics at least 50 pages...
    Isn't that like way OTT. I did around 50 pages in total for both my geog coursework projects at GCSE and got full marks. For stats i did about 20. I think your school must be making you do way too much. Remember it's quality not quantity!!

ReputationRep:
    thats rubbish giving up is just way to easy for some people move your arse and start thinking positive. everyone has to do it and has the same fears as you about any exam.

ReputationRep:
    This boy in my school has committed suicide cos he got a B in his maths coursework when he wanted an A*. I can't really blame him. Poor guy. GCSE's must be the meaning of life. If not them then what is?

ReputationRep:
    A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    A levels
    As long as you have a C in subjects like English, Maths especially, and science..then you'll be fine to get a job..

I know how It feels to be disappointed. My mum could not believe I was upset because I got a B in Art at AS level, although I had A's in my other 3 subjects. ( I wasnt even expecting A's or B's!)

I know that GCSE's seem like they're all you;re focussed on doing, but they are not worth suicide. I tell you there are a lot worse things than a D grade in this world.

You could be dying of cancer, you could be in a poverty stricken area of the world, Your whole family could have just been blown up in a terrorist attack. Exams are important, Your life/future is important, But in the grand scheme of things..a D is not big deal when you can have a second chance, and you have all the resources open to you.
    I know people sometimes find exams hard, and find working hard difficult. But Everyone has to go through the same thing.

It's sad that so many people have committed suicide over exams, because the government force these things....
    Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtyboy02)
    Would anyone here commit suicide if they failed their gcse's and by that i mean c or less. Life wouldn't be worth livin would it?
    No, not for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    Exams aren't even marked properly.

ReputationRep:
    ''Exams aren't even marked properly.''

LEAST of all Art.
    a) How can you mark art.
    b) They will not (they being edexcel) allow remarks. Pathetic.

The exam system is very shoddy, and is responsible for many suicides.
    It just makes me sad that the supposed ''best times''of teenagers lives are spent angsting over exams, and being judged in later life by letters.
    Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    "Would anyone here commit suicide if they failed their gcse's and by that i mean c or less. Life wouldn't be worth livin would it?"

There are some people that would, yes. Although I doubt failed gcse's is ever the reason they top themselves. Without GCSE's you can still do loads of things, like resits and apprenticeships etc. Apprenticeships are better for some people as they teach skills and give jobs more easily than a-levels and stuff, which is competitive. The pay is usually less though, unless you work yourself up. My mate did a welding course and he's on #300-350 a week, and only 18 (19 this year). Yes, the pound sign is broke.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many options if you fail your GCSEs anyway. Basically if your willing to work you can acheive good things.

At some point along the line people stumble, I only just scraped 5 GCSE C's, but now I've got BBC at A Level and I'm currently taking Physics A-Level and Photography AS before going to UNi in Sept.

But even if you failed ALL your GCSEs then theres allways resits in the core subjects and college or an apprentership (sp)!

ReputationRep:
    y do u feel like tht? ok 1, im nt v clever and i used 2 b in bottom sets and middle sets 4 everything so all i cud get was a C or below. so count urself lucky tht u have the abillity 2 get tht. and also i managed sumhow 2 get into do 3 Alvls so if i can do it then basically ne1 can. and employers don't really look 2 grades like tht ne more they r mch mre interested as 2 wot actual experience u have as they r starting 2 realsise tht tht is jst as if not mre important at the end of the day all they want is sum1 who is realiable and who can do the job properly grades dun nessisarrilly mean tht u will b gd at ur job. u need HOPE ppl! how do u think i survived after i got a U yes an ungaded in my soc as paper the other day? i have HOPE and i jst keep believeing tht things will get better. if u do start 2 feel dwn jst remind urself or all the achivements tht u have done.

ReputationRep:
    noone would ever kill themselves purely because they failed their exams. they might do it on the day they get their results, but thats just the trigger, the confirmation that their life is worthless. people do not just commit suicide on the spur of the moment, a successful suicide takes weeks of planning and desensitisation to the idea in order to override the survival reflexes. suicide is nearly always caused by something deeper, long term, and not a single event. anyone who does kill themselves come august would most likely have ended up killing themselves @ some point in the near future anyway, results just provided the trigger. if theyd passed their exams and lasted till september, starting 6th form or splitting up with their girl/boyfriend could provide the same trigger. so on the plus-side an august suicide would probably mean that the funeral would be sunny... and your mum could sell her story to the papers and sue the exam board/school... bargain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    noone would ever kill themselves purely because they failed their exams. they might do it on the day they get their results, but thats just the trigger, the confirmation that their life is worthless. people do not just commit suicide on the spur of the moment, a successful suicide takes weeks of planning and desensitisation to the idea in order to override the survival reflexes. suicide is nearly always caused by something deeper, long term, and not a single event. anyone who does kill themselves come august would most likely have ended up killing themselves @ some point in the near future anyway, results just provided the trigger. if theyd passed their exams and lasted till september, starting 6th form or splitting up with their girl/boyfriend could provide the same trigger. so on the plus-side an august suicide would probably mean that the funeral would be sunny... and your mum could sell her story to the papers and sue the exam board/school... bargain.
    good point, I agree completely... and if it is a long-term cause which is related to getting Cs then it probably has to do with this kid not having a decent childhood. if his/her parents feel disappointed just because their child didn't get above Cs (anf force them to stay at home all day to study and tell them they're stupid just coz they don't get 11 A*s), none of their friends are telling them that there's a lot more important things in life and their school is putting loads of pressure on them... Then clearly it isn't the just C grade results that cause suicide, it's everything put together.

Plus, there are worse things to commit suicide for: being abused or molested by your parents and having no one to tell it to, being bullied at school for being disabled or racially different... Similarly, I know people who have gone through a lot worse than getting unsatisfactory grades. They may not get great grades or particularly talented at anything but are worth a lot just by the way they aren't tempted to commit suicide r give up with all the crap that happens to them.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.