The Student Room Group

Oxford 2012 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by such_a_lady
:hi:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Go German and Spanish! Well done on the A* in Span btw! Put your mind at rest?:smile:
Original post by stinkerbelll
Go German and Spanish! Well done on the A* in Span btw! Put your mind at rest?:smile:

It's given me slightly more confidence, in any case. All these triple and quadruple A*s are making me :K: though :getmecoat:

Also, I now need to design a snazzy new signature. Ideas on a postcard, please.

my results night was pretty crap :sad:
Reply 83
Original post by medbh4805

:hugs:

sorry to hear it...after waiting so long and getting such a great result you deserved better. Hope when you wake up it's something that you can let go of, and distract yourself by thinking about having a whole new cohort of compatriots who are interested in the same things that you are! That, and how many packets of Taytos to bring with you.... :tee:

So was mine, instead of going out I ended up falling asleep on the sofa at around 9pm :laugh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AnimalSpirit
Filling out my University contract and I have to append a passport-sized photo.. It says: "Staple firmly but do not obscure your face". Does that mean I have to actually use a STAPLER? Can't I glue it? Sorry about this seemingly ridiculous question :biggrin:.. I don't want to make any mistakes with it :colondollar:

Most people I know stapled. I know this because on our bod cards you can see the staples, which they couldn't be bothered to take off before scanning :s-smilie: You should be able to glue it as long as you're sure it won't fall off.

Why? :frown: was I the only one who didn't go out partying?!
(apart from confused dot com, obviously :redface:)

Reply 87

but everything turned out alright, DIDN'T IT? :unimpressed: yayyy, medbh will be prancing around Oxford town :awesome:
Original post by Frey
but everything turned out alright, DIDN'T IT? :unimpressed: yayyy, medbh will be prancing around Oxford town :awesome:

Trying to imagine Grainne prancing :tongue: it's not easy :tongue:

It wasn't good for many reasons, but mainly because the club we went to (the only one open tonight! :fuhrer: ...or we could have gone to the gay club but most people didn't want to :colonhash:) is a tiny place with only one floor, and the beer garden. It also has no air con, and because it was results night was packed! Took ages to get served at the bar, nearly crushed to death when my friend and I went to the beer garden so he could get a cigarette; and the place also is a bit rough so at least twice we had to get out of way while the bouncers ran in to break up fights on the dancefloor. Also I think I offended someone - they came up and said 'Congratulations' to me; I could have sworn I read on fb she got into uni too, and said the same thing, but it turned out she missed her offer! :facepalm2: On the other hand the first two hours spent in spoons beforehand were actually quite good. Also, minimal hangover so far considering how much I had to drink :borat:

:colonhash: Why do I always get dragged to scummy clubs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by neek123
Another lurker heading for Keble - I've posted in the other thread too but to cover all bases has anyone else from Keble heard anything since the accommodation stuff a while ago?

I'm going to keble and I haven't heard anything.

Anyway, I've been reading the Keble Freshers Page, and I notice it mentions a lot of things involving formal clothes and sub fusc* and such. How expensive/optional are those things? I've been given money to live on by my parents and could probably ask for more in a pinch, but I'm not going to be rich and I don't really want to spend all of it on fancy clothes and stuff like that.

*What does that even stand for? The website explains what it is, but fusc looks like a nonsense word to me.
and now I can submit my PS to the library here :woo:
Reading each other's personal statements could be really weird...
Reply 92
Original post by Will D F

Anyway, I've been reading the Keble Freshers Page, and I notice it mentions a lot of things involving formal clothes and sub fusc* and such. How expensive/optional are those things? I've been given money to live on by my parents and could probably ask for more in a pinch, but I'm not going to be rich and I don't really want to spend all of it on fancy clothes and stuff like that.

*What does that even stand for? The website explains what it is, but fusc looks like a nonsense word to me.

As well as a dark lounge suit for subfusc, most people also have black tie -- given the number of black tie events, it's surely cheaper to buy than hire. The gown, mortarboard and white bow tie you need to supplement your subfusc suit can be bought together for probably £25 from various Oxford shops -- Shepherd and Woodward usually do a deal, for instance. That's probably all you'll need unless you end up going to one of the other colleges' Commemoration Balls, in which case you'd need evening tails for the night.

Nah, I didn't. I was raving it up playing badminton in Centerparcs. :awesome: :holmes:
Original post by Will D F

Sub fusc means something along the lines of black and white I think??

But yup, it's not optional. They don't judge your suit choice so get some Primarni if you're struggling for money. But gown, tie/ribbon and mortarboard are compulsory.

As for formal clothes you wont need any of it really until at least second term. Bring a cheap suit and that'll do you :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by pinkpenguin
Sub fusc means something along the lines of black and white I think??

But yup, it's not optional. They don't judge your suit choice so get some Primarni if you're struggling for money. But gown, tie/ribbon and mortarboard are compulsory.

As for formal clothes you wont need any of it really until at least second term. Bring a cheap suit and that'll do you :smile:

I would disagree about your formal clothing provision advice, having worn black tie more than once in Michaelmas; though of course I bow to your greater knowledge of Keble dress codes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BJack
I would disagree about your formal clothing provision advice, having worn black tie more than once in Michaelmas; though of course I bow to your greater knowledge of Keble dress codes.

Well it depends what you need it for. Generally, your subfusc suit will do you fine (+ a couple of smart shirts?) for any dinners or whatever in the college. Keble doesn't do 'formal' properly - every night but Saturday is 'formal', but formal just means normal clothes + gown. Black tie is never necessary.

Keble have 1 black tie subject dinner a year, but they're normally during HT.

Obvs if people want to go to other black tie events in MT then yeah they'll need it, but tbh you can get away with your subfusc + a shirt and bowtie/tie at most of them.

It's only balls where things are slightly different?
Magdalen just sent their Ts and Cs :biggrin:

Reply 98
Magdalen just sent their Ts and Cs :biggrin:

You might want to read them before you pull such a happy face. :pierre:
Original post by BJack
You might want to read them before you pull such a happy face. :pierre:

I have had a skim through them. Anything I should be aware of? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest