The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sconter
no you didnt :smile:
xxx

:smile:

... In 2 months i have visibly lost fat and gained what appears to be muscle. :smile: I have increased by 6lbs on average taking into account natural fluctuation. :smile: 7lbs is not a lot and it is also dependent on varying biological factors unique to the person. My cousin gained an average of 12 then topped. Whilst my other cousin has after 2 years only gained an average of 2... Anyway my weight isn't whats in discussion :smile:
Original post by HFerguson
but you weighed yourself with a different scale didn't you? :rolleyes: lights on but nobody home

No I didn't....same scales...
It is really difficult to gain 7lbs of muscle- especially if you are a female who doesn't guzzle protein shakes all day. It may be muscle- but for muscle to show through then you have to lose fat. And if you have been working out for a couple of months then your waist and hip measurements are bound to change. Maybe you are putting on weight...what is your diet btw?

Scales cannot determine your body fat percentage- impossible.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
But if that were the case surely I'd have bigger measurements? I have always found it very hard to gain weight, seems a bit weird that suddenly I'd gain 7lbs. I don't look muscly...but maybe it's more internal...I dunno.

You only gain noticiable muscle when you have lost the fat...therefore it may just be fat.
Original post by Bubblyminty
It is really difficult to gain 7lbs of muscle- especially if you are a female who doesn't guzzle protein shakes all day. It may be muscle- but for muscle to show through then you have to lose fat. And if you have been working out for a couple of months then your waist and hip measurements are bound to change. Maybe you are putting on weight...what is your diet btw?

Scales cannot determine your body fat percentage- impossible.

Haha, I know, friggin stupid scales...guess it was just a false gimmick to make people buy them? I trust the weighing part of them though. I don't think I've gained 7lbs of muscle either, it would be strange, I'm just wondering why increasing my exercise while my diet stays the same would result in essentially getting heavier. My measurements really haven't changed much, which is why it seems odd. My diet is good, hard to explain my entire eating pattern in a sentence...I never eat fast food (never have), any carbs are usually wholegrain, try to eat more protein than carbs...basically generally healthy.
Reply 25
Original post by Sly Blade
... In 2 months i have visibly lost fat and gained what appears to be muscle. :smile: I have increased by 6lbs on average taking into account natural fluctuation. :smile: 7lbs is not a lot and it is also dependent on varying biological factors unique to the person. My cousin gained an average of 12 then topped. Whilst my other cousin has after 2 years only gained an average of 2... Anyway my weight isn't whats in discussion :smile:

im not goig to argue this, you haven't gained anywhere near that amount of muscle. nor did your cousin.. 7lb of MUSCLE is alot. increasing your carbs increases water retention, and going from no exercise to a fair bit will result in glycogen stores increasing in size.

it isnt up for debate you havnt gained anywhere near that amount of MUSCLE, weight sure.
I wouldn't worry. I've put on about the same lately while dropping a dress size. I think weight's a bit of a silly thing to go by really when you're exercising that frequently, just go by how your body looks rather than a number on the scales :smile:
Haha, I know, friggin stupid scales...guess it was just a false gimmick to make people buy them? I trust the weighing part of them though. I don't think I've gained 7lbs of muscle either, it would be strange, I'm just wondering why increasing my exercise while my diet stays the same would result in essentially getting heavier. My measurements really haven't changed much, which is why it seems odd. My diet is good, hard to explain my entire eating pattern in a sentence...I never eat fast food (never have), any carbs are usually wholegrain, try to eat more protein than carbs...basically generally healthy.

Sounds to me like something to do with the diet. Most of the time when losing weight I find that 60% of the work is from keeping a strict diet and 40% is exercise. If you lose a couple say 400 cals in a workout then go and guzzle a sugary energy drink and have a large meal then you are putting probably more weight back on. If you have worked out for that amount of time you should be feeling more toned and slim surely.

Do you eat at regular intervals or is it just come and go?
Original post by sconter
im not goig to argue this, you haven't gained anywhere near that amount of muscle. nor did your cousin.. 7lb of MUSCLE is alot. increasing your carbs increases water retention, and going from no exercise to a fair bit will result in glycogen stores increasing in size.

it isnt up for debate you havnt gained anywhere near that amount of MUSCLE, weight sure.

I agree. Builidng up muscle is really difficult to do and maintain. You have to be really strict.

And to gain muscle many people start "bulking" which means to put on fat before they gain muscle. This doesn't count as the muscle at all.
Sounds to me like something to do with the diet. Most of the time when losing weight I find that 60% of the work is from keeping a strict diet and 40% is exercise. If you lose a couple say 400 cals in a workout then go and guzzle a sugary energy drink and have a large meal then you are putting probably more weight back on. If you have worked out for that amount of time you should be feeling more toned and slim surely.

Do you eat at regular intervals or is it just come and go?

Meh, I'm not trying to loose weight. As I said, I welcome the weight gain as I was (and still am by doctor's standards) underweight. I was just wondering whether the gym would have resulted in the weightgain itself...I don't drink energy drinks, I sometimes have a protein shake after a work out, but usually just water.
Meh, I'm not trying to loose weight. As I said, I welcome the weight gain as I was (and still am by doctor's standards) underweight. I was just wondering whether the gym would have resulted in the weightgain itself...I don't drink energy drinks, I sometimes have a protein shake after a work out, but usually just water.

Oh sorry about that. Yes going to the gym to intentionally put on good weight will make you heavier. You sound fine to me but just make sure that you keep a good diet and you will have nothing to worry about.

What is your height?

Hahah, I think you mean 6lbs of fat. It is only possible to gain 1-2 pounds of muscle a months. Anybody going 3 or over is on steroids or wrecking their body.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh sorry about that. Yes going to the gym to intentionally put on good weight will make you heavier. You sound fine to me but just make sure that you keep a good diet and you will have nothing to worry about.

What is your height?

About 5ft7 :smile: that's cool, I think I am just a bit suprised that after about 5 years of desperatley trying to gain a few pounds I seem to be piling them on rapidly haha..if I continue to gain I will have to review my diet but for now I'm happy.
Reply 33
Original post by sconter

I was going to argue then i realized i had tripped myself up in my second reply :smile: However that's horribly Arrogant you have no idea what my cousins have done nor the time frame in which things occurred. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Hahah, I think you mean 6lbs of fat. It is only possible to gain 1-2 pounds of muscle a months. Anybody going 3 or over is on steroids or wrecking their body.

This is in reply to Scounter also. Ok i tripped myself up in my second reply so i'll admit my mistake. However my point is they could of quite likely(easily) only put on 3lbs in 4 months considering the body naturally shifts (on average) 4 lbs.
This is in reply to Scounter also. Ok i tripped myself up in my second reply so i'll admit my mistake. However my point is they could of quite likely(easily) only put on 3lbs in 4 months considering the body naturally shifts (on average) 4 lbs.

Yes 3lbs of MUSCLE over a four month period sounds realistic. The rest is fat and water retention for the muscle gain.
Reply 36
i cant gain weight no matter how much i eat, and i eat craploads
Muscle weighs more than fat - exercises like weights and higher gradients on an exercise bikes will make you more muscley therefore maybe gain weight. To lose weight in terms of numbers on the scale cardiovascular stuff is the way to go!
:smile:
Original post by 1337camper
i cant gain weight no matter how much i eat, and i eat craploads

Are you eating the right stuff? And are you really eating craploads, you might think you are but do you have a rough idea of many calories you take in a day?
Reply 39
Original post by Converse Rocker
Are you eating the right stuff? And are you really eating craploads, you might think you are but do you have a rough idea of many calories you take in a day?

i eat chinese food so probably not the best for gaining weight, but i get given BIG portions, like massive cooking bowl portions