The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sly Blade
This is in reply to Scounter also. Ok i tripped myself up in my second reply so i'll admit my mistake. However my point is they could of quite likely(easily) only put on 3lbs in 4 months considering the body naturally shifts (on average) 4 lbs.

yes, 3lb of muscle if you are new to lifting is attainable, but again with perfect nutrition and routine.. for a guy.
Reply 41
Original post by ellieabyrne
Muscle weighs more than fat - exercises like weights and higher gradients on an exercise bikes will make you more muscley therefore maybe gain weight. To lose weight in terms of numbers on the scale cardiovascular stuff is the way to go!
:smile:

I don't get it. This nonsense has already been dispelled in this thread, not to mention anyone with half a brain knows the numbers the OP is talking about obviously don't constitute 7lbs of muscle gain. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it is more dense than fat - by approximately 18%. Most people vastly overestimate weight gain due to muscle because when people hear "weighs more" they think "weighs a lot more" (per unit volume ofc). Also, you say an exercise bike will make you more "muscley" when unless you're doing sprints (which is not what you imply) it's cardiovascular, which is what you then say (correctly, but not restricted to) losing weight.

Original post by 1337camper
i cant gain weight no matter how much i eat, and i eat craploads

Living in a dream world.
i cant gain weight no matter how much i eat, and i eat craploads

You can eat "craploads" of vegetables and not put on any mass.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Bubblyminty

Pretty sure they weren't referring to vegetables.
Reply 45
Original post by Bubblyminty

i get fed loads of meat to make me put on weight, ofcourse i still have to eat veg
i get fed loads of meat to make me put on weight, ofcourse i still have to eat veg

I avoid meat (with the exception of fish) because of the saturated fats and whatnot in them. If you want to put on weight then go to the gym, workout and drink protein shakes along with a nutritous diet. Start bulking and build some muscle, you will gain weight for sure.

But if you want to do it the easy way...10 pizzas and a couple of chocolate bars should do you :biggrin:.
Reply 47
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You're eating more. Nothing to do with muscle gain. If it was that easy to gain 7lbs of muscle, every other guy would be massive and ripped.

I'm sorry but are you denying that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. You do realise that is a fact?
Reply 48
Original post by Enigma7
I'm sorry but are you denying that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. You do realise that is a fact?

It is not a fact. Muscle is denser than fat. It does not 'weigh more than fat'. The sentence 'muscle weighs more than fat' makes no sense, if you take a look at it properly. That is what people are trying to point out here. A kilo of muscle weighs the same as a kilo of fat. Surprise!
Original post by Ronove
It is not a fact. Muscle is denser than fat. It does not 'weigh more than fat'. The sentence 'muscle weighs more than fat' makes no sense, if you take a look at it properly. That is what people are trying to point out here. A kilo of muscle weighs the same as a kilo of fat. Surprise!

You could say using this logic that lead weighs the same amount as feathers. Of course a pound of anything equals a pound of something else, but if the two took up the same physical amount of space, the muscle would be heavier.
Reply 50
How long did it take before the gain turned into a loss?
Dude the thread is four years old.
Reply 52
Original post by W3mee
How long did it take before the gain turned into a loss?

I'll answer your question even though the thread is ancient and was dead:colonhash:

Muscle weighs more than fat, if you ain't got much fat to burn you'll only gain weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I'll answer your question even though the thread is ancient and was dead:colonhash:

Muscle weighs more than fat, if you ain't got much fat to burn you'll only gain weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not how calories work
Reply 54
Original post by Angry cucumber
That's not how calories work

At what point did I even imply calories? If you're doing exercise (like going to the gym) as part of your diet, there's a point where you start gaining muscle quicker than you're burning fat, thusly, you gain weight. Or at least that's what I got taught.
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is denser. it doesnt weigh more.

It wasnt muscle anyway for the OP it was most likely water retention and weight fluctuation.
Reply 56
Original post by 999tigger
It is denser. it doesnt weigh more.

It wasnt muscle anyway for the OP it was most likely water retention and weight fluctuation.

That's what I meant

I wasn't answering OPs question - just the user that revived this ancient thread.
Original post by Andy98
That's what I meant

I wasn't answering OPs question - just the user that revived this ancient thread.

It would be nice if some of these zombie threads were deleted.
Reply 58
Original post by 999tigger
It would be nice if some of these zombie threads were deleted.

Or just closed once the issue was dealt with
Original post by Andy98
At what point did I even imply calories? If you're doing exercise (like going to the gym) as part of your diet, there's a point where you start gaining muscle quicker than you're burning fat, thusly, you gain weight. Or at least that's what I got taught.

It's all about calories. You can only gain weight if your in a calorie surplus. You can only lose in a calorie deficit. As a natural you can only lose fat in a calorie deficit. You can't gain weight and lose fat.

Latest