Fight Club - Modern Existentialism or Nihilsm?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hmm - what do you think?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Just a top movie, I don't read too much into it.

It deals with both themes though doesn't it?
it does but which one is more explored - i think nihilism - yes it was a top film - great twist
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What happens in the end to fight Club? Everyone dies? If so then it imght be a case of nihilsm.

A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know very little about philosophical thought, so can't really comment - its not a bad movie though
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my ill-informed opinion its anti-existentialism - the members of Project Mayhem are brainwashed and have no freedom of choice, and are very irresponsible.
wheras tyler is clearly the exact opposite.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
wheras tyler is clearly the exact opposite.
but he is led by his alter-ego - compelled to act the way he does by his other personality
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Loved the movie.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
Loved the movie.
agreed
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you mean Tyler or 'Jack'?
Jack? is that his name? i dont believe that it is ever specified unless you are referring to 'this is jacks screaming revenge' or wotever the kick ass quote is . and i mean tyler, who is clearly 100% in control.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Never thought of it like that actually, good call.
thanks - you also have some excellent points
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Hmm - what do you think?
Has someone been watching university challenge?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Jack? is that his name? i dont believe that it is ever specified unless you are referring to 'this is jacks screaming revenge' or wotever the kick ass quote is . and i mean tyler, who is clearly 100% in control.
Tyler 'is' Jack as such though. I think the a real question the film poses is 'what is identity', what makes a 'person'. Something brought out by quotes such as 'I am Jack's pounding temples' etc etc. The idea that one can become detached from one's self, to be made up of many unordered parts which in this case DON'T (as we automatically assume they always do) make up a coherent whole. I think the question of who or what is 'Jack' (is there a 'Jack' in all of us? is there a bit of all us in Jack?) is the one which dominates the film
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Well he's credited as 'narrator' I think but I'm pretty sure Jack is his name... we never actually get told as a bus goes past just as he's about to tell Marla... a big clue if you were looking!

At what point did people spot the twist? I have to say it was very very late on, in fact it was the hotel room scene for me!
same here - it all maked sense that he was two different people until then - then all the scenes where he fights with him look really weird - however the penny began to drop for me when he knowingly beat himself up to get a big pay-off from his job
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
Has someone been watching university challenge?
ah - u have uncovered my fiendish scheme
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Tyler 'is' Jack as such though. I think the a real question the film poses is 'what is identity', what makes a 'person'. Something brought out by quotes such as 'I am Jack's pounding temples' etc etc. The idea that one can become detached from one's self, to be made up of many unordered parts which in this case DON'T (as we automatically assume they always do) make up a coherent whole. I think the question of who or what is 'Jack' (is there a 'Jack' in all of us? is there a bit of all us in Jack?) is the one which dominates the film
no, i think piginapoke was reffering to the difference in character between Tyler and the narrator. but nice use of fancy words there
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well he's credited as 'narrator' I think but I'm pretty sure Jack is his name... we never actually get told as a bus goes past just as he's about to tell Marla... a big clue if you were looking!

At what point did people spot the twist? I have to say it was very very late on, in fact it was the hotel room scene for me!
I think the brilliance of the film, for me at least, was in the way the question of who or what exactly each character is or represents is a 'live' throughout the film, yet we don't spot the 'twist' as such until right at the end, so it still hits us with full force.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no, i think piginapoke was reffering to the difference in character between Tyler and the narrator. but nice use of fancy words there
It's the same (similar) issue.
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's the same (similar) issue.
naw, because the question was pivotol on the characters of the two. narrator is not in control wheras tyler is. that was my point anyway.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
naw, because the question was pivotol on the characters of the two. narrator is not in control wheras tyler is. that was my point anyway.
Yes but the key question (which I was alluding to) is 'who is tyler'?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What do you think of the ending? Is there any significance to the '****' frame that flashes up or is that just a joke?
I think the **** frame gives us a glimpse of what is to come and tries to make us consider the possibility of something outside the realm of realism. It's also just a bit of a comedy as it links to the part of the film where he describes his job at the cinema.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads