Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just discovered this rather helpful looking website, and so I thought it would be an appropriate place to talk about my concern and see if any strangers out there would be able to give their much appreciated opinion and advice on my problem.

I've applied for University, 2004 entry to study either pure english literature, or joint honours english literature and music. Throughout high school I always excelled at English Literature (music i've been doing since I was about 5 so it doesn't really count) and after much encouragement and suggestion from English teachers, towards the end of Year 11 I was pretty confident I was going to study English Lit at Uni. I'm now currently studying English Lang and Lit (combined), Music and Art at A-Level and ever since the beginning of this whole UCAS application process I become more doubtful and depressed about my choice of study/degree and university choice. Although I was encouraged by various people to study the combined English A-Level, I feel it's been a mistake as far as universities go.

The English combined course I feel has been much harder than studying pure Lit or Lang and at the end of the summer holidays I was advised not have too much hope in applying for universities with top English Lit courses, as they apparently don't favour the combined course as much as they do the English Lit course. Of course it makes perfect sense now, but back when I was choosing my A-Level studies, I thought English combined would be the better, more rounded study to do if I was serious about English. So this scared me and as a result I only applied to a few top courses and stuck to more safer options: york, warwick (English literature), leeds, durham, york and oxford brookes (English Lit and Music). I've yet to hear from warwick but have received offers from all except Durham.

I like the combined course, but I discover now that I'm better at the literature side of it than I am the language side, and as a result I'm not as good as I'd quite like to be, and after all the trouble I've had with subject choices and my application. I'm really getting myself depressed and down when I question myself if I really do want to study English Literature (ideally i'd just study the pure subject). It's like I'm losing faith in my ability. I still love the subject but I'd like to be on the best course I can possibly find for me and I would like to enstilled with confidence knowing that I could be really successful on the course I get on to.

I'm seriously thinking about withdrawing my application and reapplying next year. Perhaps to study something other than English Lit. Music is my other love and strong subject and I am also considering Japanese. It might seem like a rather random choice but I have spent quite some time researching and considering it as I have a ridiculously immense passion for the country and culture, and have a great desire to learn the language, my only worry is whether I will enjoy studying it for four years, as you don't study it pre-uni (no prior knowledge is required) and I haven't studied a modern foreign language at A-Level which Universities apparently like to see in their applicants for the subject.

I'm very sorry for this rant, I've spoken to a few friends about it but some aren't keen on the idea of me taking a year out to reapply. I do have some decent offers but I just don't know if I'm happy with my options right now and some advice, help or any suggestions would be much appreciated. I need to make up my mind soon.

Many thanks to anybody who replies - this is quite a big decision so I'd like all the comments I can get before I make up my mind!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, maybe I can help - I've also applied to do English Lit at Durham, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick, York and Southampton. Can I just point out that ALL the unis you've applied to are top unis, except for Oxford Brookes, and the fact that you've got into 4 is a sure indicator that you are more than capable to deal with the demands of the course.

I think you can stop worrying about doing combined Lit and Lang A level, as it doesn't seem to have stopped the unis from accepting you does it?

Personally I think everyone gets a bit of a confidence wobble in their final A level year - I know I have, you just have to remember what you're good at and why you'd be much happier studying that than any other subject.

Edit - if you fancy chatting about English and the like feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you applied to Warwick to study English Lit and haven't had an interview, the last interview date was on Friday

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I decided upon that in about January when I looked at the interview dates. It only increases my anger towards these snobbish universities who don't look too favourable on English combined applicants. I kick myself for choosing English combined over English lit, but then back when I was choosing them, what did I know?! I didn't care for university degrees then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzanova)
    Yeah I decided upon that in about January when I looked at the interview dates. It only increases my anger towards these snobbish universities who don't look too favourable on English combined applicants. I kick myself for choosing English combined over English lit, but then back when I was choosing them, what did I know?! I didn't care for university degrees then!
    To be honest I wouldn't blame your combined A level - my friend and I both applied there for English Lit (we're doing the straight Lit A level) with AAAA predicted grades, and have both been rejected without interview, lol Warwick are clearly insane!

ReputationRep:
    With predicted AAA grades I wish they'd at least taken a bit of time to interview. Mind you I can understand they're probably inundated. I just wish I could inform them and similiar institutes that they have helped to provoke a slight dislike towards English Literature. With ABRSM Grade 8 and numerous musical experiences under my belt I think it will be just best to go with my safest option.

ReputationRep:
    If you are doubtful then dont do it is my advice. This is only in my experience but I did English because I wasnt 100% set on what I wanted to do, by the end of my first year I hadnt done enough modules in the other subject I wanted to change to and as a result was stuck with English I didnt want to dump it after a year so i finished my degree. I was bored and as a result didnt do as well as I would have liked. i got a 2.1 but I think I could have done better than that if i had felt like giving 100%. I loved my uni experience but not my course and as a result am now doing another course putting myself further in debt instead of having a nice flat and a cat and a decent job which is what I really want. If you are in doubt I would advise taking a year out - defer which will give you chance to come to some sort of decision and then if you are sure you dont want to do it you can withdraw and reapply for another subject.
    If you are interested in Japanese how about doing a TEFAL and spending a year in Japan?

I dont think that Eng lang/lit is a disadvantage I did it and didnt have any trouble with the unis in fact some that I contacted said that they regarded it as being harder than straight lit and took that into consideration, but then it has been 7 years (god I feel old now) since I applied so maybe its all changed.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll end up taking a year out. I'm sorry - Is a TEFAL similiar to the Socrates/Eramus whatever it is kinda idea?

ReputationRep:
    Teaching English as a Foreign language qualification. They advertise them in the back of the job section in saturdays guardian all the time.

You are best going through somewhere well regarded if you do it. Such as BUNAC
    http://www.bunac.com/UK/ You normally need to be 18 and be in a gap year in some kind of education to apply to something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Teaching English as a Foreign language qualification. They advertise them in the back of the job section in saturdays guardian all the time.

You are best going through somewhere well regarded if you do it. Such as BUNAC
    http://www.bunac.com/UK/ You normally need to be 18 and be in a gap year in some kind of education to apply to something like this.
    Which uni did you do English at viviki?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    To be honest I wouldn't blame your combined A level - my friend and I both applied there for English Lit (we're doing the straight Lit A level) with AAAA predicted grades, and have both been rejected without interview, lol Warwick are clearly insane!
    Amen! Well I haven't been rejected yet, but it's only a matter of time. Their loss!

Group hug..?

ReputationRep:
    One piece of advice that I hope helps - if you are unsure about your degree before you go, if you have niggling doubts about the place or course, take a year out, decide what you want to do and then do it. These doubts will probably only get worse while you are in the confusing and initially overwhelming surroundings of uni, and then you will be in a far worse situation (I have been there trust me). if however the only doubts we are talking about are small ones that you are getting just out of nerves, or due to the imoprtance of the decision ahead of you, don't worry. If however, they are serious and real and there for a good reason, you would do well to reconsider your options.

ReputationRep:
    Hi jazzanova,

I too took the English combined A Level without knowing it wasn't that respected. later on I was told not to bother applying to Oxbridge because of it! (I chose not to regardless).
    I applied for English at uni last year as I didn't know what else I wanted to do - I was told it was the most sensible option because my other possible choices (Law and Psychology) were a bit vocational and English fitted best with career ideas I had. I therefore applied, not becuase I loved it, but because i felt it was "for the best".
    I ended up accepting an offer at nottingham uni. Getting closer to the results and after going to open days I realised I was dreading it - I shouldn't be feeling like that. Slowly I started to realise my real passion was psychology - I could sit and read a text book of that without being asked but if it was English I'd have put it off till the cows came home! I loved reading novels and writing - I just didn't fully comprehend what english would involve around that.
    During my A levels I even thought about walking out of a few like todd in Corrie just so I didn't have to go and study English (I was also unsure about my choice of Nottingham over Durham).
    My friends were all quite supportive but I'm sure they got sick of me talking about it.
    On the night before the results I finally told my parents in a rather blubbery fashion that it wasn't what I wanted.
    Come results day i was ringing round Nottingham and Durham to try and get a Psychology place but was told they were all full. I could have tried somewhere else but what was the point of going somewhere I'd never visited when I could take a year out and, with my grades, get in to somewhere I liked?
    So I'm now on a year out reapplying - still waiting for my first choice Durham. I've worked a bit but struggled to get a job since Christmas. However, this is definately the best thing I could have been - seeing in to the world of work is an eye opener and I feel so much more grown up and actually excited about my education.
    Pulling out of nottingham for basically nothing was the scariest thing I've ever done but definately the wisest choice for me.

PM me if yuo want to talk. My friend is doing japanese!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.