Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i really need some help from you guys. i really don't know which uni to go to for psychology!

untill recently i was pretty sure about putting st andrews down as my first choice, but recent thinking (a bit too remote, not any opportunity of a job really or work experience) has put me off it and now i really don't know what to do. i have my favourite, namely edinburgh, but while it's still a good uni i'm predicted 5 A's and parents/careers advisers all want me to go to an oxbridge alternative uni such as Durham or St Andrews. anyway these are my options:

1. Edinburgh - BBB
    i really liked edinburgh when i visited it in september, the department was brilliant along with the city being great for student life etc. a big advantage of edinburgh is that it's the only uni that does the doctorate course in clinical psychology that i want to do. i'd also be able to get work experience which is really important if you're interested in clinical psychology.

2. Durham -ABB

durhams all well and good for reputation and the course is quite good but i don't really like it that much.

3. St Andrews - ABB
    i really liked st andrews when i went up to go and see it a couple of weeks ago. the department was good but in general overall i think it isn't for me. its a bit remote so i'd never be able to get home for weekends during term, i wouldn't be able to get a part time job or any much needed work experience.

4. Bath - AAAB
    bath does a great course this a years work experience included but i'm really not keen on the city itself.

5. Newcastle - AAB
    newcastle has a relatively good course but once again i didn't like the city when i visited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i really need some help from you guys. i really don't know which uni to go to for psychology!

untill recently i was pretty sure about putting st andrews down as my first choice, but recent thinking (a bit too remote, not any opportunity of a job really or work experience) has put me off it and now i really don't know what to do. i have my favourite, namely edinburgh, but while it's still a good uni i'm predicted 5 A's and parents/careers advisers all want me to go to an oxbridge alternative uni such as Durham or St Andrews. anyway these are my options:

1. Edinburgh - BBB
    i really liked edinburgh when i visited it in september, the department was brilliant along with the city being great for student life etc. a big advantage of edinburgh is that it's the only uni that does the doctorate course in clinical psychology that i want to do. i'd also be able to get work experience which is really important if you're interested in clinical psychology.

2. Durham -ABB

durhams all well and good for reputation and the course is quite good but i don't really like it that much.

3. St Andrews - ABB
    i really liked st andrews when i went up to go and see it a couple of weeks ago. the department was good but in general overall i think it isn't for me. its a bit remote so i'd never be able to get home for weekends during term, i wouldn't be able to get a part time job or any much needed work experience.

4. Bath - AAAB
    bath does a great course this a years work experience included but i'm really not keen on the city itself.

5. Newcastle - AAB
    newcastle has a relatively good course but once again i didn't like the city when i visited.
    go to edinburgh then- its obvious thats the one you like the most.. suppose then you wouldn't have an insurance choice tho- but its only BBB you should be fine!!! pick 1stly by course then by place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    go to edinburgh then- its obvious thats the one you like the most.. suppose then you wouldn't have an insurance choice tho- but its only BBB you should be fine!!! pick 1stly by course then by place...
    Yeah Edinburgh is the only city you seem to like - it's as good a choice as the others are as far as reputation and the psychology department is concerned as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    Edinburgh!!

ReputationRep:
    edinburgh is 25th on the times tables for psychology- so it has a good rep...

(Original post by VoodooDoll)
    all want me to go to an oxbridge alternative uni such as Durham or St Andrews.
    firstly this is *your* decision and its your three years, you have to choose where you would be happiest.

secondly edinburgh is arguably better than both of those unis :confused: what has your careers advisor been telling you? st andrews?? haha

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you want to go to edinburgh, just have that as your firm and don't bother with an insurance

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have the same problem with your counsellors as me! Mine wants me to go to Durham or St. Andrews for Psych as well. I'm going to Nottingham though because it seems like the perfect place for me!

If you want to go to Edinburgh go with it!! It has a great reputation~. You'll be much happier too Charles Darwin went there too (for awhile, I don't think he graduated), tee hee.

ReputationRep:
    Daisy Donovan also went to Edinburgh! I would go to Edinburgh - your not that far from St Andrews should you wish to visit there and it is a good university. It also has some really good accommodation - namely Chancellor's Court.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for you're thoughts on the subject, very much appreciated . i think i'm gonna put edinburgh down as my firm choice now. its the best option for me, good course, great city and the best for my clinical psychology career. now i've just got to tell the careers advisors, but well, they know nothing, one told my friend to pick bradford over nottingham for christ sake! :rolleyes: they seem to think that edinburgh hasn't got as good rep as the others, but i think it's a great uni so in the end i guess thats all that matters

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.