Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Official thread for higher English for when we have questions or need help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
liamb109
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A in my Higher English this year so I'd be happy to help people, when required.
girlinpinkscarf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can anyone tell me a good way to introduce a quote? Mine seem a bit immature a repetitive, thanks

TheLightBulb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Below
TheLightBulb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by girlinpinkscarf)
Can anyone tell me a good way to introduce a quote? Mine seem a bit immature a repetitive, thanks

"Mr Graham snorted in disbelief, "me?" " shows how Mr Graham refuses to believe that anything could possibly be his fault. ...

That's one of the ways how I do it anyway...

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice on the iPad/iPod app

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice on the iPad/iPod app
Andrew217
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by girlinpinkscarf)

Integrated quotation!

You basically write a normal sentence except a word or phrase is a quote from the text. I'll try and get and think of a good example if you want.
girlinpinkscarf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aaah, thank youuu helpful

TheFOMaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yo, want this watched. This year will be hell. English sucks, I don't wanna do Higher
RosaFreya
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can do things like..

The author writes, "Mr Graham snorted in disbelief, "me?", highlighting the idea that...
Mr Graham refuses to believe that anything could possibly be his fault, an idea that is supported/developed/integrated by the line, "Mr Graham snorted in disbelief, "me?".

By doing things like altering the sentence order, and subtly changing words- I seriously abused my thesaurus- you can say exactly the same thing without sounding repetitive It worked for me!
n x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was in a general/foundation class last year but for my exam I got a 1 in my writing, 2 in my reading (idk how that's even possible) and a 3 for the talk so I could do higher my teacher last year recommended me to do it, it sounds like torture though :l
liamb109
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say give it a go. I got a 3 in everything in English except the talk which I got a 1 in and managed to get an A at Higher. Apply yourself and you will do well, I'm sure.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RosaFreya)
You can do things like..

The author writes, "Mr Graham snorted in disbelief, "me?", highlighting the idea that...
Mr Graham refuses to believe that anything could possibly be his fault, an idea that is supported/developed/integrated by the line, "Mr Graham snorted in disbelief, "me?".
Avoid directly introducing the quotes. Just make a general statement and provide your evidence. I have no idea what text this quote is from, so the following is completely made up:

Mr Graham throughout the novel is completely incapable of accepting responsibility for his actions. His child-like avoidance of this emphasises the shame he feels for his actions.

"Mr Graham snorted in disbelief, 'me?' "

Mr Graham lies to the face of other characters and even seems to have started convincing himself of his innocence as evidenced by his bodily reaction indicating genuine surprise of accusation. His "shock and horror" (integrated quote) only serves to cause his neighbour to distrust him more, which ultimately leads to the character's downfall.

Never, ever say "This shows" after a quote, nor any variant of it such as "highlighting the idea that". It becomes repetitive and will probably annoy the marker, and it can come across very patronising at times.
beach5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Looking like the teacher is favouring Withering Heights:eek:,anyone else studying/studied this?
Elizormi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are studying MacBeth and Great Gatsby this year at the same time. it's so full on:/

girlinpinkscarf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not looking like we will be doing withering heights. I did Macbeth last year and it wasn't too bad. We are looking at doing the tigers bride. The great gatsby and Romeo and Juliet

Aay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are studying 'youll take a bath' a poem in english higher at the moment.

We are doing a critical essay under exam conditions tommorow morning

Ive written the essay any ideas or help as to how i remember it ?

Any help appreciated.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
TheFOMaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aay)
We are studying 'youll take a bath' a poem in english higher at the moment.

We are doing a critical essay under exam conditions tommorow morning

Ive written the essay any ideas or help as to how i remember it ?

Any help appreciated.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Coming from Int.2: Don't memorize the essay, instead memorize the poem and the ideas it contains. Because while you may know your essay question tomorrow, you won't know it come May.
Simarilli
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I suppose I could help with some things in Higher English - I did get an A but I never liked the subject. If anyone is doing Romeo and Juliet, Home, My Last Duchess, Afternoons, or At Grass I could probably help with them - particularly My Last Duchess and the Larkin poems; I loved them.
n x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
update: decided to be brave and just go for higher but if i fail the first nab or struggle i'm dropping to int1

anyone got any tips for higher english?
Aay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheFOMaster)
Coming from Int.2: Don't memorize the essay, instead memorize the poem and the ideas it contains. Because while you may know your essay question tomorrow, you won't know it come May.
Thanks man, you doing ah's or highers? Seen you around alot !
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.44%
No (68)
75.56%

Watched Threads