The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Aay
Nah i did read it wrong, can't properly recall what i misread and why, but sod it, its life.

You studying much today? I eventually brought myself to study lol..

eh I studied from about 4:15 until 7 then I took the night off as I got distracted then watched 24 hours in a/e :colone: you?
Reply 181
Original post by CSM1996
eh I studied from about 4:15 until 7 then I took the night off as I got distracted then watched 24 hours in a/e :colone: you?

I watched that aswell, like the perfect job for me man yet impossible to get into uni for it !

Did an english pastpaper, physics pastpaper. Studied some maths, like the logs/exponentials and biology revision questions- reasonable but ye im way too tired, gonna get an early night.

You find in class your doing much? We are doing like nothing in most its so pointless being there, watching the bbc production of hamlet in english -.-
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by Aay
I watched that aswell, like the perfect job for me man yet impossible to get into uni for it !

Did an english pastpaper, physics pastpaper. Studied some maths, like the logs/exponentials and biology revision questions- reasonable but ye im way too tired, gonna get an early night.

You find in class your doing much? We are doing like nothing in most its so pointless being there, watching the bbc production of hamlet in english -.-
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if I could deal with the stress of working as a Doctor, with people's life at risk and all :frown:

I haven't even really started past papers, in maths I'm doing prelim papers and like all my other subjects I'm making notes on things I struggle with. I feel like if I start past papers now, I'll have done them all by the time of the exam then I'll just be redo'ing them, which is sort of cheating as you know the questions already :tongue:

In chemistry, my teacher just sits at his desk and lets us get on with studying, we can basically do whatever we want. It is the same in most subjects really, it is just revision apart from biology where we still need to finish the course. However, we only have endotherms/ectotherms (or something) and 1 more booklet to go and we finished the course!

I'm so nervous for my second prelims though. In maths, our paper one is Tuesday and paper two Thursday. But my chemistry one is wedged inbetween on the Wednesday :frown: Our maths teacher bought in our prelim and done it yesterday and said paper one is harder than paper two :frown: I was hoping for an easy paper one :frown:
Reply 183
Original post by CSM1996
I don't know if I could deal with the stress of working as a Doctor, with people's life at risk and all :frown:

I haven't even really started past papers, in maths I'm doing prelim papers and like all my other subjects I'm making notes on things I struggle with. I feel like if I start past papers now, I'll have done them all by the time of the exam then I'll just be redo'ing them, which is sort of cheating as you know the questions already :tongue:

In chemistry, my teacher just sits at his desk and lets us get on with studying, we can basically do whatever we want. It is the same in most subjects really, it is just revision apart from biology where we still need to finish the course. However, we only have endotherms/ectotherms (or something) and 1 more booklet to go and we finished the course!

I'm so nervous for my second prelims though. In maths, our paper one is Tuesday and paper two Thursday. But my chemistry one is wedged inbetween on the Wednesday :frown: Our maths teacher bought in our prelim and done it yesterday and said paper one is harder than paper two :frown: I was hoping for an easy paper one :frown:

I passed, got 24/30, mistakes were missing hydrogens at the end of molecules and basic errors when naming so imma happy chapp.

Yeah with physics she sits and lets us do our own personal studying, same with chem although she does go over A/B type questions on the board, watching hamlet in english and not finished the human bio course yet.

Finished the maths course, crap :frown:

I have three prelims next week, no man :frown: My maths and physics days haven't been decided but they are defos next week, and my chem is next thursday. I'm really worried, I tend to panic etc like ALOT during an exam and then mess up which is what i did during prelims i think. Because I study a reasonable amount and know my stuff, my mate was like yeah erm you shouldnt really be worried..

Unlucky, I bet my maths will be solid, guaranteed.
(edited 11 years ago)
During our double English period today we had a lecture on close reading by one of the teachers from the English department who marks for the SQA. She gave us some really good tips of what to do and what not to do.

I need to focus on writing my answers in bullet point instead of paragraphs.
Reply 185
Original post by ManicPumpkin
During our double English period today we had a lecture on close reading by one of the teachers from the English department who marks for the SQA. She gave us some really good tips of what to do and what not to do.

I have always preferred to answer with bullet points, straight to the point without any added unnecessary info within my answers.
Original post by ManicPumpkin

Silly question, but even if we put our answer in bullet points, it still means we have to write in grammatical sentences, does it?
Reply 187
Original post by Aay
I passed, got 24/30, mistakes were missing hydrogens at the end of molecules and basic errors when naming so imma happy chapp.

Yeah with physics she sits and lets us do our own personal studying, same with chem although she does go over A/B type questions on the board, watching hamlet in english and not finished the human bio course yet.

Finished the maths course, crap :frown:

I have three prelims next week, no man :frown: My maths and physics days haven't been decided but they are defos next week, and my chem is next thursday. I'm really worried, I tend to panic etc like ALOT during an exam and then mess up which is what i did during prelims i think. Because I study a reasonable amount and know my stuff, my mate was like yeah erm you shouldnt really be worried..

Unlucky, I bet my maths will be solid, guaranteed.

Well done! And yeah, I always make silly mistakes like that :tongue:

The maths course isn't that bad, I thought it would have been a lot harder than it is. Saying that, there is some quite challenging stuff in it already :frown:

My biology one is two weeks away as we still haven't finished the course. Right now, I'm sort of happy we haven't finished otherwise I could of had two in the one days :smile:

you will be fine with your prelims, you are studying well so it will pay off! And our teacher didn't sound too optimistic when he was saying paper 1 was hard :frown:

Original post by ladymarshmallow
Silly question, but even if we put our answer in bullet points, it still means we have to write in grammatical sentences, does it?

I think when you are doing understanding and like the second part of analysis. But you don't have to write all the crap like "The writer uses word choice in lines blah" I just write "word choice - word" then go on to analyse it and I don't get any marks deducted or anything.
Reply 188
Original post by CSM1996
Well done! And yeah, I always make silly mistakes like that :tongue:

The maths course isn't that bad, I thought it would have been a lot harder than it is. Saying that, there is some quite challenging stuff in it already :frown:

My biology one is two weeks away as we still haven't finished the course. Right now, I'm sort of happy we haven't finished otherwise I could of had two in the one days :smile:

you will be fine with your prelims, you are studying well so it will pay off! And our teacher didn't sound too optimistic when he was saying paper 1 was hard :frown:

Why thenksss, yeah no matter how hard we try not to, we are gonna make them regardless lol :tongue:

The maths course is fine, I did think it would be alot harder aswell to be fair, it's just the type of questions that come up is where I go wrong :smile:

With bio, I have 3 chapter left, its more geography now than biology so quite basic. My bio is a week on tuesday.

I hope I am man, if i get crappy marks it will put me into a wee depressed mode for the exams haha!

Uch with your prelim mark earlier this years maths will probably be a breeeeze.
Reply 189
Original post by Aay
Why thenksss, yeah no matter how hard we try not to, we are gonna make them regardless lol :tongue:

The maths course is fine, I did think it would be alot harder aswell to be fair, it's just the type of questions that come up is where I go wrong :smile:

With bio, I have 3 chapter left, its more geography now than biology so quite basic. My bio is a week on tuesday.

I hope I am man, if i get crappy marks it will put me into a wee depressed mode for the exams haha!

Uch with your prelim mark earlier this years maths will probably be a breeeeze.

You are welcome :smile:

Like last years log question omg. You know the person who wrote the maths papers quit this year because he refused to accept that the last question last year was a bad question? Even though the average mark was 1/8 :tongue:

Yeah I've got like population or something left and something to do with plant succession so yeah geography.

You will do fine! And plus, my maths prelim was reasonably easy, I'm just hoping paper two makes up for the hard paper 1. And I'm praying the optimisation is so easy. I can't even do the easy ones never mind the really hard ones :frown:
Reply 190
Original post by CSM1996
You are welcome :smile:

Like last years log question omg. You know the person who wrote the maths papers quit this year because he refused to accept that the last question last year was a bad question? Even though the average mark was 1/8 :tongue:

Yeah I've got like population or something left and something to do with plant succession so yeah geography.

You will do fine! And plus, my maths prelim was reasonably easy, I'm just hoping paper two makes up for the hard paper 1. And I'm praying the optimisation is so easy. I can't even do the easy ones never mind the really hard ones :frown:

Yeah I heard about that guy, don't know whether that means we will get a harder or easier one hahaha, should be easier but yeno it's the sqa we're dealing with here :L

Cool, I was like erm i thought this was meant to be human biology and we're sitting there learning about birth and death rates which I learn't about in standard grade history..

Yeah we will see, will these affect my original prelim marks, even though they were unbelievably useless?

With optimisation, I just leave a of the question and do b, more marks to be picked up and its just differentiation, nature table etc.
Reply 191
Original post by nerd434
Does anyone else feel as if they would get more work done simply working from home rather than trecking into school each day? We spent two whole periods in Maths working on the multiple choice section of one paper...

Couldn't agree more, I'm only in for the completion of the human bio course, after that, ill either only come in for prelims and stop once they are done. I'm officially off for leave on the 3rd of may.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Original post by Aay
Yeah I heard about that guy, don't know whether that means we will get a harder or easier one hahaha, should be easier but yeno it's the sqa we're dealing with here :L

Cool, I was like erm i thought this was meant to be human biology and we're sitting there learning about birth and death rates which I learn't about in standard grade history..

Yeah we will see, will these affect my original prelim marks, even though they were unbelievably useless?

With optimisation, I just leave a of the question and do b, more marks to be picked up and its just differentiation, nature table etc.

The guy who writes the maths paper will have wrote ours before he left as you write them way in advance, so hopefully he was kind to us :frown:

Haha, is human biology any good? My school don't offer it, they only offer biology.

Do you mean the second prelim for maths? If so, then you only submit the second prelim in maths not the first as it is a whole course one!

I do the same for optimisation but I always try part A and hope for at least 1 or 2 marks but meh in my prelim I ended up with 4/10 because i messed up the second bit of part b as well as part a :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 193
Original post by CSM1996
The guy who writes the maths paper will have wrote ours before he left as you write them way in advance, so hopefully he was kind to us :frown:

Haha, is human biology any good? My school don't offer it, they only offer biology.

Do you mean the second prelim for maths? If so, then you only submit the second prelim in maths not the first as it is a whole course one!

I do the same for optimisation but I always try part A and hope for at least 1 or 2 marks but meh in my prelim I ended up with 4/10 because i messed up the second bit of part b as well as part a :frown:

Aw :frown:

Yeah it's really interesting, my favourite subject :smile: Essays are hard in the exam though but yeah what can we do.

I have a prelim on unit three next week, its a 45 minute one so Im not sure if the whole course can be put in it?

You learn from your mistakes, wouldn't bother letting it get to you.

I'm trying to get work experience/volunteering for medicine, not the right time to try and get it however I have actually nothing to put down apart from the reach programme and applications go out in october, What am I going to do :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 194
Original post by Aay
Aw :frown:

Yeah it's really interesting, my favourite subject :smile: Essays are hard in the exam though but yeah what can we do.

I have a prelim on unit three next week, its a 45 minute one so Im not sure if the whole course can be put in it?

You learn from your mistakes, wouldn't bother letting it get to you.

I'm trying to get work experience/volunteering for medicine, not the right time to try and get it however I have actually nothing to put down apart from the reach programme and applications go out in october, What am I going to do :frown::frown::frown:

SQA'ing a human biology paper right now to see what it is like. It probably has some of the same material as biology when we do stuff linked to human biology. Oh the essay questions are similar to ones in biology!

In maths we have a full course prelim :frown: We are doing paper 1 on tuesday and paper 2 on thursday :frown: But in chemistry and biology it is only a unit 3 prelim (thank god)

Oh I know, I'm just not going to be happy if like the optimisation question is the marks I am off an A or something and that is the reason I don't get an A :frown:

Focus on doing stuff over Summer, you will have more time to look etc :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by CSM1996
SQA'ing a human biology paper right now to see what it is like. It probably has some of the same material as biology when we do stuff linked to human biology. Oh the essay questions are similar to ones in biology!

In maths we have a full course prelim :frown: We are doing paper 1 on tuesday and paper 2 on thursday :frown: But in chemistry and biology it is only a unit 3 prelim (thank god)

Oh I know, I'm just not going to be happy if like the optimisation question is the marks I am off an A or something and that is the reason I don't get an A :frown:

Focus on doing stuff over Summer, you will have more time to look etc :smile:

Yeah its quite similar, time management is key methinks in the exam.

For maths, oohh that's bad :frown: In a way its good cos you'll study the whole course etc. You'll get it, its just working with the diagram they give you, im no pro myself but thats how to do it.

I had planned to but im pure worried that Ill have nothing. Do you do physics btw? How are you gonna study for your chem prelim, pastpapers?
Reply 196
Original post by Aay
Yeah its quite similar, time management is key methinks in the exam.

For maths, oohh that's bad :frown: In a way its good cos you'll study the whole course etc. You'll get it, its just working with the diagram they give you, im no pro myself but thats how to do it.

I had planned to but im pure worried that Ill have nothing. Do you do physics btw? How are you gonna study for your chem prelim, pastpapers?

Time management is only key in my English exam. When I do past papers I hardly take any time. And in the prelim in my biology and chemistry exam I was finished after an hour and 30 minutes when the exam is 2 hour 30 :frown:

I suppose, also less chance of getting more than question on logs! God I know, but I've always hated shapes, i still don't know how to find out volumes and areas of shapes so I usually just times and add random numbers :colone:

Nah I don't do physics, my school only let you do 2 sciences in 3rd/4th year as it is a small school and they don't have enough teachers to add an extra column of science :smile: For chemistry I plan work from past papers and textbook, but my teacher gave us a perfect papers paper and omg it was so hard. I scraped 30.5/50 and my teacher was like... what happened. Then today he told us that he bought our second prelim from then. I wanted to greet.
Reply 197
Original post by CSM1996
Time management is only key in my English exam. When I do past papers I hardly take any time. And in the prelim in my biology and chemistry exam I was finished after an hour and 30 minutes when the exam is 2 hour 30 :frown:

I suppose, also less chance of getting more than question on logs! God I know, but I've always hated shapes, i still don't know how to find out volumes and areas of shapes so I usually just times and add random numbers :colone:

Nah I don't do physics, my school only let you do 2 sciences in 3rd/4th year as it is a small school and they don't have enough teachers to add an extra column of science :smile: For chemistry I plan work from past papers and textbook, but my teacher gave us a perfect papers paper and omg it was so hard. I scraped 30.5/50 and my teacher was like... what happened. Then today he told us that he bought our second prelim from then. I wanted to greet.

Same with me with pastpapers, you should of slept :laugh:

And I hate logs lol, we are bound to get one though... Adding random numbers seems to have worked for you, might try it some time aha,

Aw ok, I've brought my three sciences up standard grade, nightmare though. Unlucky with the chem prelim, i'm sure you'll be fine, our school are too skint to buy prelims in, in a way its reassuring :laugh:

Ive did like unit three questions for physics from 1999-2006, can't do anymore, might just stick to notes for these prelims because who's saying they will be similar to pastpapers...
Reply 198
Original post by Aay
Same with me with pastpapers, you should of slept :laugh:

And I hate logs lol, we are bound to get one though... Adding random numbers seems to have worked for you, might try it some time aha,

Aw ok, I've brought my three sciences up standard grade, nightmare though. Unlucky with the chem prelim, i'm sure you'll be fine, our school are too skint to buy prelims in, in a way its reassuring :laugh:

Ive did like unit three questions for physics from 1999-2006, can't do anymore, might just stick to notes for these prelims because who's saying they will be similar to pastpapers...

I should have, but I would be scared in case I fell or started talking in my sleep or something stupid :lol:

I know but hopefully it is a multiple choice question or something :frown: And it has never worked, I never get a optimisation question right in prelim/tests :frown:

I was thinking of doing physics next year but my guidance teacher convinced me to pick an easy subject so she was like PICK PE (she is a pe teacher). I am just hoping there is a lot on Hess's law/equilibrium and hopefully I'll be fine :smile:

For chemistry I have some older past papers that I have found, so I will do some of the unit 3 questions to get practice but meh. I'll hope for the best!
Reply 199
Original post by CSM1996
I should have, but I would be scared in case I fell or started talking in my sleep or something stupid :lol:

I know but hopefully it is a multiple choice question or something :frown: And it has never worked, I never get a optimisation question right in prelim/tests :frown:

I was thinking of doing physics next year but my guidance teacher convinced me to pick an easy subject so she was like PICK PE (she is a pe teacher). I am just hoping there is a lot on Hess's law/equilibrium and hopefully I'll be fine :smile:

For chemistry I have some older past papers that I have found, so I will do some of the unit 3 questions to get practice but meh. I'll hope for the best!

All im doing next year is my three AHs hopefully. Dont really wanna do adv maths but i had nothing else to pick, they refused to give me free columns unless i picked three AHs. I obviously needed at least a free for my investigations for bio and chem.

I was thinking about sitting the ukcat this year for medicine over summer, but dont know ? Like what if i sat it then in august i dont get the grades for medicine....

Practice should sort it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending