Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will a firm take away a TC offer if they discover you did not disclose one of your GCSE grades?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you not disclose it? It's a C (i.e. you passed it) ... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Some firms will ask for GCSE transcripts but not most, I THINK. I haven't disclosed a U in Graphics (overslept through the exam, oops) but my justification is that it doesn't count as one of my obtained GCSEs. I really can't see that affecting my chances. I wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is also on rollonfriday. You'll only encounter problems if you lie about grades - you don't have to disclose something if you don't want to. I failed an 'Advanced Extension Award' in French (so it's graded U) and obviously did not disclose that..

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't disclose an A-level that would be taken seriously. Failing to disclose a GCSE is a bad idea, but I think you will get away with it. Before I started my TC I had to provide original A-level certificates, original degree certificate and account for everything I'd done in the last few years (including time spent sititng on my butt at home), but I don't think they asked about GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Mine asked for my GCSE certificates but they don't seem to be too anxious about those. A-Level and Uni transcripts were a must though.

As for non-disclosure...I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy.

ReputationRep:
    What about non-discosure of general studies? I don't put this A-Level on my applications because I know no one cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    If you didn't disclose an A-level that would be taken seriously. Failing to disclose a GCSE is a bad idea, but I think you will get away with it. Before I started my TC I had to provide original A-level certificates, original degree certificate and account for everything I'd done in the last few years (including time spent sititng on my butt at home), but I don't think they asked about GCSEs.
    Is this the norm for when you start a training contract?! Or was it some sort of outsourced operation? Was your offer conditional upon you accounting for everything you'd done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    Is this the norm for when you start a training contract?!
    Sounds like someone's in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the norm for when you start a training contract?! Or was it some sort of outsourced operation? Was your offer conditional upon you accounting for everything you'd done?
    This was outsourced, but I think all the large firms outsource. The offer was expressed vaguely, on satisfactory background checking or something like that. I think they covered the past 2 years in detail and the key qualifications from A-level up. If there was a problem I imagine the outsourcer would escalate this to the firm who would decide what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevity)
    Sounds like someone's in trouble.
    Not at all, but I took a gap year where I worked full time, but have had jobs since then, I just wondered whether firms would want to contact all the previous employers? I imagine it's just a check for dates worked rather than a character reference.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, but I took a gap year where I worked full time, but have had jobs since then, I just wondered whether firms would want to contact all the previous employers? I imagine it's just a check for dates worked rather than a character reference.
    Yeah like obtaining a reference from my previous employer wouldn't be a problem but it would for my employer up until July 2011 as the management has completely changed!

ReputationRep:
    When I qualified, the firm outsourced the checking function and they checked all dates for the last two years or so. It was purely a date check not a character reference. If there was a problem verifying what you were doing for a period longer than 2 or 3 weeks (e.g. employer can't be contacted, or you were travelling) you had to sign a declaration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    When I qualified, the firm outsourced the checking function and they checked all dates for the last two years or so. It was purely a date check not a character reference. If there was a problem verifying what you were doing for a period longer than 2 or 3 weeks (e.g. employer can't be contacted, or you were travelling) you had to sign a declaration.
    Did they still ASK for your GCSE grades in the form you filled out with the company it was outsourced to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.