Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A root of the equation e^x-7x=0 lies in the interval N<x<N+1 where N is an integer. Find 2 values for N.

I thought maybe iteration would do the trick, but I certainly didn't get the answers in the book with it...
    So I figured hey maybe I can log both sides, but well you get ln 7x which is weird as after ln 7 + ln x I am stuck...
    Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    A root of the equation e^x-7x=0 lies in the interval N<x<N+1 where N is an integer. Find 2 values for N.

I thought maybe iteration would do the trick, but I certainly didn't get the answers in the book with it...
    So I figured hey maybe I can log both sides, but well you get ln 7x which is weird as after ln 7 + ln x I am stuck...
    Any ideas?
    first consider the graphs of y=e^x and y=7x and from there x must be >0,then let f(x)=e^x-7x and start with x=0 until u get a sign change....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
    first consider the graphs of y=e^x and y=7x and from there x must be >0,then let f(x)=e^x-7x and start with x=0 until u get a sign change....
    you mean put x=0 in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    you mean put x=0 in??
    yea, cos f(x)=e^x-7x
    f(0)=1-7=-6
    then since its asking for an integer take (f1)
    f(1)=-11.3
    still negative so lets try x=2
    f(2)=-6.61
    still negative so.........
    f(3)=-0.91 hmmm
    f(4)=26.59
    wolla! a sign change so 1 value for N is N=3. Now get the other 1.....

ReputationRep:
    woops my mistake f(0)=1 and f(1)=-4.28.
    a sign change so N=0 and N=3

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.