The Student Room Group

Why don't women do the decathlon?

I've always wondered this.

Why do women do a heptathlon and men a decathlon?
Why don't both do both? Or why even have a heptathlon just a decathlon for each?
Reply 1
Women do do a decathlon, it's just not an Olympic event. And it's also fairly new - a lot of what goes on in track and field is there purely for historical/traditional reasons.
And, indeed, there is also a men's heptahlon, but that's primarily an indoor event.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Why do the women do 100 metre hurdles and not 110 metre hurdles?
Reply 3
Original post by TimHuak
women are weak and can't handle it. That is why mens sports will always be better to watch

I would neg you but you already have 3 bars xD
Reply 4
Original post by TRS-T
Why do the women do 100 metre hurdles and not 110 metre hurdles?

Ridiculous historical reasons.
Reply 5
Wonder why the womens' amateur boxing is also only 2 minutes per round.
Reply 6
Original post by danny111
I would neg you but you already have 3 bars xD

Which part upset you?

Original post by 419
Wonder why the womens' amateur boxing is also only 2 minutes per round.

They would struggle with anything more. Their performance would dip too much
Reply 7
Original post by TimHuak
women are weak and can't handle it. That is why mens sports will always be better to watch

They can't handle 10 more metres?!? Shut up dude
Original post by TimHuak
They would struggle with anything more. Their performance would dip too much

Equality. They should get fitter. Women don't run a shorter marathon, I don't see why they cant play more sets in tennis or longer rounds in boxing. You want equality, then step up-- they're competing against other women not men so i really don't see the problem!
Reply 9
Original post by silent ninja
Equality. They should get fitter. Women don't run a shorter marathon, I don't see why they cant play more sets in tennis or longer rounds in boxing. You want equality, then step up-- they're competing against other women not men so i really don't see the problem!

They can't handle it because they are women. They are at their fittest but because they are women they cannot handle it.
Reply 10
Original post by TimHuak
They can't handle it because they are women. They are at their fittest but because they are women they cannot handle it.

what's your evidence for this?
Original post by TimHuak

So even though women are able to run marathons, if you put some hurdles on the track, 100 metres is the maximum women can cope with?
mmmm... because they belong in the kitchen?

Quick Reply

Latest