The Student Room Group

Young, Bright, and on the Right

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by morecambebay
Both of them went to state school, and one of them was definately working class (single mother, dad in prison).
One was studying law
They werent socially inept, they just werent part of the 'in' crowd. Mainly down to other students' attitudes.

Did I watch a different show to everybody else? I thought that it improved the conservatives image. It showed that there are exceptions.

There are the naked facts and then there is the general impression. Unfortunately the general impression is that it enforces the torie stereotype. Ask a laborer from Croxteth what he thinks of those chaps :tongue:

This is similar to a problem with party politics, in that political candidates assume the public will be interested in 'clear-cut' facts only. All you need to do is look at the UK's top 3 papers to realise that it doesn't work out like that!

That's politics, a load of bull**** :cool:

P.s. As an aside I think Oxford guy pretty much shot his metaphorical party politics foot clean off. Yes the concerns were legitimate, but were they raised and dealt with directly in the society first? Nothing screams rebel backbencher more than discrediting your branch and resigning before you even have a job!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by levellingmcs
I disagree! I am a member of the Conservative Party and I can honestly say that I am not, in any way shape or form, like that. I am a member as a hobby and, unlike some of the people on that program, I still need a very normal life...p

Conservative party, or OCA? OCA give conservatism in general a very bad reputation and is not at all representative of right-wingers in general, but Joe is in fact representative of OCA as a body.

Original post by DazA
It scares me to think these people may be running the country one day. It scares me even more that there ARE people running the country that were once like that!

Neither of them have the faintest chance of running the country. They didn't before this broadcast, but they certainly don't now. Joe has shown himself as untrustworthy and a potential liability to the party, and Chris as weak.

Original post by lbsf1
This is why I don't want to go to a prestigious university, would rather go to one which is good now, not just based on its past.

Oxbridge are still great universities now, still the very best. And please don't think that either of these two represent anything about Oxbridge in general, the BBC had to dig deep to find these two and cover their tracks very well to film this, what you're seeing is the result of an agenda.

Original post by morecambebay
They werent socially inept, they just werent part of the 'in' crowd. Mainly down to other students' attitudes.

I know Chris on a personal level and can tell you that yes, he is socially inept. The programme was not in fact edited to show him in too bad a light, in fact if anything it flattered a bit, just stand near him for long enough and you'll get the same impression. I say that very safe in the knowledge that I am not part of the "in crowd" either.
Reply 22
The Cambridge dude was like a mini Boris Johnson
Reply 23
Original post by anna-chipie 95
I saw this... They were definitely trying to live up to the Oxbridge stereotype- walking round in suits all the time, talking in ridiculously posh accents (kind of glad i had subtitles on when I saw it on iPlayer!), etc. It was kind of crazy. One of the weirdest programmes I've ever seen.

The fact that it was on BBC2 makes it even more bizarre! At this rate the Daily Mail may as well have their own TV station. Now I have given myself nightmares...
Reply 24
Original post by dinrah04
I don't understand why everyone is so anti-Conservative, I'm very borderline middle class but it's incredibly beneficial, things have just gotten better since Labour. I don't see so much hate on the working class :s

Wait what?

Don't know why people are so anti-tory
You say you are middle class and what is benefiial
Things have gotten better since labour (strange, coming from someone who doesn't understand anti-conservative partyism).

And I hate on the working class doesn't exist, not even comedy has gone there. Its OK to joke about the underclass, council estates, benefits, chavs, and Lidl (even though a lot of middle class people go to Aldi and Lidl now, or atleast they do in the north). But, say someone, amongst your friends (these have happened to me haha), "omg, are you eating a burger with a knife and fork, so middle class haha" (FYI the burger was a microwavable rustlers and it was too hot to pick up), now if you turn round and say, "ha, look at you with your pot noodle, working class scumbag" .... reaction would be different.
Original post by ForKicks
The fact that it was on BBC2 makes it even more bizarre! At this rate the Daily Mail may as well have their own TV station. Now I have given myself nightmares...

Oh God, the Daily Mail with their own TV station. :eek:
I don't go to Cambridge/Oxford, but I do know that they mostly wear hoodies and jeans. Not suits and a tie. It was so odd seeing them walking around the two places while their fellow students were wearing casual clothes...
Reply 26
Original post by prog2djent
(Though I would say I fit strictly on the right anymore)Its Anti-right wing propoganda.

Lets think of some stereotypes about Tory's and the right in this country

Middle class and above
Oxford and cambridge
Politics Degrees
Socially inept

And what did they feed us with .......

Since the Cambridge mafia no one major has come out of Cam.

Also, you're probably closer to meeting one of the participants than you realise.
Original post by roh

Also, you're probably closer to meeting one of the participants than you realise.

Cambridge mafia? What is this exactly?
Original post by roh

What do you mean by this?
Reply 29
Original post by anna-chipie 95
Cambridge mafia? What is this exactly?

Just a name given to a group of Tory politicians who were Cam graduates, rather than the more usual Ox, who were in top positions in the 80s and 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Mafia
Reply 30
Original post by Chief Wiggum
What do you mean by this?

I know which college Prog2djent goes to, one of the guys in it also went there.
Reply 31
Original post by roh

Which participants.
Original post by Budgie
I just made a cheeky appearance. And I'm not a Tory. Terrible scenes

Cool, who were you/what were you doing?
Reply 33
Party politics is not a cool kids game and no-one does it for the money, lol. However, I think the show is purposefully slating the tories. It's like doing a show on student Labour supporters and choosing the social activists, or hippie lib dems. :tongue:

Lol I don't think hippie lib dems exist.
Reply 34
And I hate on the working class doesn't exist, not even comedy has gone there. Its OK to joke about the underclass, council estates, benefits, chavs, and Lidl (even though a lot of middle class people go to Aldi and Lidl now, or atleast they do in the north). But, say someone, amongst your friends (these have happened to me haha), "omg, are you eating a burger with a knife and fork, so middle class haha" (FYI the burger was a microwavable rustlers and it was too hot to pick up), now if you turn round and say, "ha, look at you with your pot noodle, working class scumbag" .... reaction would be different.

Perhaps because people don't tend to actively chose to be working class.
Reply 35
Wait what?

Don't know why people are so anti-tory
You say you are middle class and what is benefiial
Things have gotten better since labour (strange, coming from someone who doesn't understand anti-conservative partyism).

I meant things have gotten better since Labour were out, I live in the South so idk if it's different.
Reply 36
Original post by DazA
It scares me to think these people may be running the country one day.

Why would you assume that?

Try getting those charmless blobs elected. It'd fail miserably.

Original post by hb31
I just felt really sorry for them both by the end.
The guy from cambridge was very naive, I felt awful for him when the chairman said he'd "lost" his application form.
They lacked self confidence and social skills, and it was clear that the programme was basically just taking the mick out of them.

It did seem a bit exploitative by the end.
Reply 37
Heh, what were you doing? :tongue:

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Cool, who were you/what were you doing?

I was a speaker in the Oxford Union debate they showed at the beginning. Luckily, they didn't show me actually speaking, just sitting down. I don't think anyone I know would have seen me and thought I was in OCA...
Reply 38
This programme made me fear for our immediate political future. Time to emigrate...
Reply 39
Original post by L i b
Why would you assume that?

Try getting those charmless blobs elected. It'd fail miserably.

...because Boris Johnson is so normal?!
:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending