The Student Room Group

Textbooks for Higher: Recommendations?

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nerd434
I'm aware that there have been resource threads created for most individual subjects but I was unable to obtain confirmation as to which textbook is actually the 'best' and which provided suffice notes for the course.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which books to purchase for each of the following subjects? For each subject, I'm hoping to purchase a textbook that provides course notes, as well as a textbook that contains questions so that I can initially consolidate the knowledge before applying it to questions.

Where would you recommend purchasing the materials? I'll most likely get them second-hand as the retail textbooks are grossly over-priced in my opinion. (Without being tight!) Also, I'll probably just download all the past-papers online!

Subjects:

Higher Biology -
Higher Chemistry -
Higher English -
Higher History -
Higher Mathematics -
Higher Physics -

Thanks a lot. I'm sure this will benefit others in my situation as well!

I'm actually selling tons of books on ebay ( though it may be by the time of the start of term before i can arrange this) if you are interested i can tell you when i will do this and the books im putting up for sale. I will be selling it for a reasonable price as its just taking up space on my shelf.

However, I only have books for Maths, English and Physics as these were the Highers we have in common.
Original post by nerd434

x

The BrightRed Revision and the Leckie x Leckie success guides are brilliant for the 3 sciences. If you like structure, I'm going to recommend against the BrightRed Maths book, since it sorts everything under the type of Maths involved (Geometry, Algebra, Calculus etc.) instead of by Units. It is good however if you wouldn't mind this way of structuring the book. For English, I just bought the How to Pass Higher English book, and the English Language Skills both by Hodder Gibson as I thought they looked quite good, but can't really comment on them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending