Turn on thread page Beta

female colleges watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if theres any truth in the idea that applying to one of Cambridge's all-girl colleges drastically ups your chances of acceptance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by featherbrain)
    does anyone know if theres any truth in the idea that applying to one of Cambridge's all-girl colleges drastically ups your chances of acceptance?
    would've thought so since about 8 of us girl engineers got pooled there

ReputationRep:
    Probably not - the women's colleges get lots of open applications allocated to them, thus they possibly end up as competitive as at least some of the mixed colleges. According to the New Hall admissions secretary, they were swamped with applications this year. Be careful in assuming a women's college is automatically less popular - Newnham in particular is becomming more popular every year.

ReputationRep:
    Going to Camdridge was what I always considered an unattainable dream! I'd not really considered me actually going there, much as I'd like to! I certainly wasn't expecting an offer at the end of December, but even so, going there is still a bit of a dream .
    Ashamed as I am to admit it, one of my reasons (though obviously no where near my main ones) for applying to Newnham was the wrong assumption I automatically increased my chances by 50%, it didn't take too long to realise I was incorrect! I do however think it's fair to say you have better, even if only slightly, chances at a womens college, but would stress the fact this is not valid reason for picking a college when there are far more important things to consider!

ReputationRep:
    Just like to point out that I met some people at interview here who applied to Hilda's because they thought it was easier to get in. Not one of them got in. I think it comes across really easily, and I assume it's a similar story at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    people should realise that even if you find an "easy" way in then you still have to cope with a very tough course once you get there.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    people should realise that even if you find an "easy" way in then you still have to cope with a very tough course once you get there.

MB
    I don't think that there is an easy way in!! I was pooled to New Hall from St Johns, and received an offer without interview. Next Tuesday and Wednesday, they have a two-day open day for offer-holders to look round! Personally I thibk that this is a good idea, because you can see for youself whther or not you think that it is an environment that you'll thrive in!

ReputationRep:
    Just realised the major drawback of a female college - had enormous spider in my room and had to deal with it myself. I couldn't run to a boy and beg him to do it. A cliche I know, but it was all big and leggy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade)
    I don't think that there is an easy way in!! I was pooled to New Hall from St Johns, and received an offer without interview. Next Tuesday and Wednesday, they have a two-day open day for offer-holders to look round! Personally I thibk that this is a good idea, because you can see for youself whther or not you think that it is an environment that you'll thrive in!
    Indeed, I'm hosting an offer holder (i.e. they will sleep on my floor)

ReputationRep:
    but you've got underfloor heating,right? i hope so seeing as i'm gonna b one of the ones sleeping on it!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you'll bake!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.