I FAIL to meet the english requirement of LSE, will I still have a chance? Watch

This discussion is closed.
a5a09
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys, I am an international student. LSE require me to get a certain grade in a english test (IELTS) but unfortunately I failed to achieve that level which means I will be absolutely miss my offer. Does it mean that I will be 100% rejected by LSE? Did anyone who failed the english test but still get into LSE? I have sent an e-mail to LSE to ask already and I am still waiting for their reply.
jo1692
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can re-apply next year, really work on your English in the meantime and re-take the IELTS exam, if you still want to go to LSE.
a5a09
Rep:
?
(Original post by jo1692)
You can re-apply next year, really work on your English in the meantime and re-take the IELTS exam, if you still want to go to LSE.
Thank you for your reply. I have thought of that before, however, I am not going to do it as my parents don't want me to re-apply next year. Does it mean that I have no chance to get into LSE this year?
jo1692
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a5a09)
Thank you for your reply. I have thought of that before, however, I am not going to do it as my parents don't want me to re-apply next year. Does it mean that I have no chance to get into LSE this year?
To be honest, the answer to that only LSE can judge, not students on an online forum. So I would phone/email LSE. But unfortunately I think it looks pretty unlikely. Universities tend to be strict about the IELTS exam results because they can afford to be as they have plenty of international students who attain the right grade.
ProsStudent28Int
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a5a09)
Hi guys, I am an international student. LSE require me to get a certain grade in a english test (IELTS) but unfortunately I failed to achieve that level which means I will be absolutely miss my offer. Does it mean that I will be 100% rejected by LSE? Did anyone who failed the english test but still get into LSE? I have sent an e-mail to LSE to ask already and I am still waiting for their reply.
Hi,

I can't be sure, you need to call LSE and ask them, but from what I can see, they are pretty "nazi" about it, so I don't think they will let anyway in with less than 7 in all four bands. This is a little strict compared to other elite unis, which normally ask for 7 overall of 6.5 in all four bands. There are extremely few unis asking for 7 in all four bands.

If you look at the graduate IELTS requirements, they are ironically lower at LSE, compared to undergrad, which I find very strange, having lower requirements when you study at a higher level. It should be other way around, especially since 1st undergrad year at most unis count for very little toward the final overall grade, after three years, and I think one year is plenty of time to "perfect" someones English.

But, it's LSE, they are strange and not logical.
Blue25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a5a09)
Hi!

Well it's good that you asked LSE. Hmm, have you considered taking the TOEFL? I think there is a three month rule as regards the IELTS so if ever you want to take it again, it will be beyond Sept/Oct and you may not be able to register.

You can take the TOEFL if you want. I mean, it is not the IELTS so the three month rule does not apply to you. And if you achieve the required score for the TOEFL vis-a-vis LSE, then good.
a5a09
Rep:
?
Guys, I really need help. My offer still remain as conditional though I failed my IELTS. Do I still have a chance of getting an unconditional offer from LSE?
TheUltimateProof
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Call them up. They may not have received your English result yet and so it might be unclear to them or they may still be considering you. Best of luck.
TheUltimateProof
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a5a09)
Guys, I really need help. My offer still remain as conditional though I failed my IELTS. Do I still have a chance of getting an unconditional offer from LSE?
See above
Spairos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a5a09)
What results did they ask you for and what results did you have?

Do you have time to resit the test? If yes, (and if there are still places left, also considering 2 weeks for the results to come out) apply tommorrow.
a5a09
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spairos)
What results did they ask you for and what results did you have?

Do you have time to resit the test? If yes, (and if there are still places left, also considering 2 weeks for the results to come out) apply tommorrow.
Hi, the exam is fully subscribed already so I can't resit it anymore. They require me to get 7 in overall and in all components. Unfortunately I got 6 for writing and 6.5 for speaking, though 7.5 for both listening and reading and 7 in overall.
wallacefvdd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a5a09)
im facing the same situation with you, still writing for their reply. Can i ask where are you from? which course you have applied? and have you received any reply yet?
Econla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think this ultra-strict english requirement is stupid to say the least.
I'm in the same situation but with UCL (graduate degree). I took the TOEFL and scored above the minimum for each section, but overall I scored only 4 points below the minimum required. Guys...WTF....I mean, they selected you from a competitive pool of applicants considering your grades, your honors, and all that stuff, and finally they decided that you would be a perfect student for its programme. I understand that proficiency in english is important since you'll be breathing english for all the time that your programme lasts. For this, they have to ask you some minimum level of english proficiency. However, they should also apply some level of criteria when an applicant like you and me, filtered before by themselves, don't get exactly the minimum that they ask for just a marginal difference.
I took a look to other top universities to see what level of english they ask for and I was impressed by some universities like Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton and many other that ask for english proficiency levels much lesser than top UK universities. For example, the three mentioned before set a minimum between 80 and 90 in TOEFL which translates to a 6.0 or 6.5 in IELTS, and we are talking about highly prestigious institutions.
censorshipsuks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am in the exact same situation with u, except that I took the TOEFL. The requirement is 107 with 25 minimum in each section.
I got 114 but 24 in speaking...so I failed by one point despite scoring perfect on all other sections. I mean...the speaking section is just weird. I lived in US for 4 years, but it is just really uncomfortable speaking to a computer.
Seriously, I mean, wtf...
While LSE requires 7 with minimum of 7 in IETLS, it doesn't make sense that it requires 107(25) on TOEFL. A 7 on IETLS is only converted to a 92-103 in TOEFL....Even if convert all four component of my TOEFL score individually, I still got a 9/9/7.5/8-9 according to the table, http://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/suppl...son_tables.pdf
Even my lowest speaking section still passes the 7 mark.

I guess I should have taken IETLS instead.
I emailed LSE, but they just respond that they will reconsider my application along with all others in the same situation.

I guess a good news is I knew someone got in without passing the IETLS.
Econla
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by censorshipsuks)
I am in the exact same situation with u, except that I took the TOEFL. The requirement is 107 with 25 minimum in each section.
I got 114 but 24 in speaking...so I failed by one point despite scoring perfect on all other sections. I mean...the speaking section is just weird. I lived in US for 4 years, but it is just really uncomfortable speaking to a computer.
Seriously, I mean, wtf...
While LSE requires 7 with minimum of 7 in IETLS, it doesn't make sense that it requires 107(25) on TOEFL. A 7 on IETLS is only converted to a 92-103 in TOEFL....Even if convert all four component of my TOEFL score individually, I still got a 9/9/7.5/8-9 according to the table, http://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/suppl...son_tables.pdf
Even my lowest speaking section still passes the 7 mark.

I guess I should have taken IETLS instead.
I emailed LSE, but they just respond that they will reconsider my application along with all others in the same situation.

I guess a good news is I knew someone got in without passing the IETLS.
I know what you're talking about when you compare TOEFL with IELTS. I have seen that comparison tool before and you're right. Same happened to me, my toefl overall score is within the range that they ask for IELTS, but they still insist that they want exactly the same level required for the respective test or above.
In my case, I scored above the minimum for each section but didn't reach the overall score by 4 points.....I mean if someone scored 4 points more than me in for example Reading, so the overall score achieved the minimum, does it means that he or she would be better prepared for the programme??....Come onnnnn. Let's cut the bullsh**. I fulfilled the minimum for each skill, but they still want 4 more points overall???.
I wonder if Einstein took the TOEFL or some of that craps. Have you heard him speak in english?. I think that with luck he could have achieved 15 in that section. Would LSE or UCL reject such a brain for not achieving EXACTLY what they ask as an "appropiate level of english"??????. Nowadays, I think they would. Is that rational???
Econla
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just adding a few words:

UCL's Motto: Cuncti adsint meritaeque expectent praemia palmae (Latin) or in English: Let all come who by merit deserve the most reward.

P.S: ....but if you score in TOEFL or IELTS a few points below our minimum requirements, then please stay at home
nick29
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey guys,

I am an international student from Romania and I am looking to apply in UK. One of my choices was initially the Economics degree at Warwick. I got 104 in my TOEFL, reaching or exceeding the minimum scores for each section. However, they ask for a 105 overall score. So what do you think? Does it worth to take my chances and apply? Or I will just waste one of my 5 available options?
Econla
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go ahead, probably they will invite you to take a pre-sessional english course or maybe not and they just admit you directly with that score. Some universities are more flexibles. As you can see LSE and UCL are clearly not the case, but I do not know if Warwick is so dumb .

good luck
censorshipsuks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Econla)
just adding a few words:

UCL's Motto: Cuncti adsint meritaeque expectent praemia palmae (Latin) or in English: Let all come who by merit deserve the most reward.

P.S: ....but if you score in TOEFL or IELTS a few points below our minimum requirements, then please stay at home
Actually, I just got an email from UCAS saying that my place for LSE is confirmed despite failing TOEFL by 1 point.
So I guess failing by a few mark really won't prevent you from getting accepted.
censorshipsuks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nick29)
hey guys,

I am an international student from Romania and I am looking to apply in UK. One of my choices was initially the Economics degree at Warwick. I got 104 in my TOEFL, reaching or exceeding the minimum scores for each section. However, they ask for a 105 overall score. So what do you think? Does it worth to take my chances and apply? Or I will just waste one of my 5 available options?
I failed TOEFL by 1 point (I scored 114 exceeding the overall requirement but I only scored 24 in speaking failing the requirement by 1 point), but I still manage to get accepted. So go ahead. I don't think a few point matters.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (262)
54.24%
18-20 years old (no) (63)
13.04%
20-25 years old (yes) (81)
16.77%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.86%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.18%