The Student Room Group

Insect bites all over ankles and feet

I have insect bites all over my ankles and feet. They're really itchy and don't seem to be healing well despite me applying special cream. I don't know what could have bitten me and why the bites are only on my ankles and feet! My boyfriend is unaffected however.

Does anyone know what the bites could be from and why they've only picked on me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My bro had something really similar, turned out it wasn't insect bites it was a skin infection, nothing nasty though! go to to drs
Reply 2
I hate to tell you this, but bites all over the ankles and feet probably means fleas in the carpet.
Original post by Clip
I hate to tell you this, but bites all over the ankles and feet probably means fleas in the carpet.

Yep, was going to say the same. OP get some flea spray.....some people live like animals :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Yeah sounds like fleas. For the itching, make up a paste from bicarb of soda and water (1 tsp of Bicarb to a little water) and dab it on the bites. It should stop the itching.
Reply 5
Although if you have a pet the fleas are likely to be coming from them. A vet should be able to give you something to de-flea the animal and your carpet. As far as your boyfriend being unaffected that's not uncommon if it is fleas. They eat me alive but leave my mum completely alone.
Reply 6
Original post by *Boofle*
I have insect bites all over my ankles and feet. They're really itchy and don't seem to be healing well despite me applying special cream. I don't know what could have bitten me and why the bites are only on my ankles and feet! My boyfriend is unaffected however.

Does anyone know what the bites could be from and why they've only picked on me?

I've also got insect bites all over my legs and ankles right now and it's driving me nutty, so I feel your pain, haha! Creams are only very temporary relief and the itchiness is caused by histamine, so if you take daily anti-histamine tablets while they're still active it may help the reaction. When you apply the cream, put plenty on the skin about an inch radius around the bite as well, because that area's also affected.
I don't know what bit me either, but I was in the south of France so it could have been any nasty critter! :tongue:
As for why it's picked on you, some people are just more prone to bites than others. While I was in France with coursemates, some people were absolutely covered in bites whereas others remained unscathed, despite the fact we were all in the same place doing the same things. Maybe we're just really tasty - some people must exude a certain "smell" through the skin that appeals to insects, since you can prevent being bitten by taking garlic capsules (which makes your skin exude garlicness that only insects can smell, and they hate it). If you think The Thing might still be at large, maybe start taking garlic capsules to prevent any more bites! They're available from most health stores. I used them a while ago when my cat had fleas (which loved my blood, apparently) and it was really effective!
Type in google: scabies. I think you might have that!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
This must be really bugging you :awesome:
Reply 9

Possibly fleas from a cat. They can linger in grass at nights, so it may be that. I recommend fixing it by applying ice to numb the pain and reduce any swelling. :smile:
fleas or gnats with a fetish
Reply 11
Sounds like flea bites because I have the same problem. I'm in a constant battle against fleas at my house. Its a time where fleas are most active so I have to keep giving my cats baths and the fleabite stuff you put on their necks. It doesnt solve everything because loads will still be on your carpet so you need to clean the carpet a lot.

Something that works to catch fleas is to get a small bug light and place 3 or 4 bowls (low height) around the bug light and fill it up with soapy water. Do this overnight with all the lights around the trap turned off and in the morning you will see a bunch of dead fleas in the bowl. Ive done this for about 4 weeks straight and they still keep showing up but atleast your killing some. Numbers range from 25-65 fleas a night for me. There are alternative ways of doing this like placing a lamp facing directly down into a bowl but this is a fire hazard in my opinion.
Reply 12
You need to concentrate on killing the eggs not the adults. Get a bug bomb or a goddamn carpet steamer. Seriously.
Original post by Kezzi
I've also got insect bites all over my legs and ankles right now and it's driving me nutty, so I feel your pain, haha! Creams are only very temporary relief and the itchiness is caused by histamine, so if you take daily anti-histamine tablets while they're still active it may help the reaction. When you apply the cream, put plenty on the skin about an inch radius around the bite as well, because that area's also affected.
I don't know what bit me either, but I was in the south of France so it could have been any nasty critter! :tongue:
As for why it's picked on you, some people are just more prone to bites than others. While I was in France with coursemates, some people were absolutely covered in bites whereas others remained unscathed, despite the fact we were all in the same place doing the same things. Maybe we're just really tasty - some people must exude a certain "smell" through the skin that appeals to insects, since you can prevent being bitten by taking garlic capsules (which makes your skin exude garlicness that only insects can smell, and they hate it). If you think The Thing might still be at large, maybe start taking garlic capsules to prevent any more bites! They're available from most health stores. I used them a while ago when my cat had fleas (which loved my blood, apparently) and it was really effective!

Thanks for all the replies. The only pet I have is a hamster but sounds like you can pick them up anywhere then :s-smilie:

I was so worried it could be bedbugs as I've just moved into a furnished flat, but if that was the case surely the bites would be everywhere? I've inspected my bedroom and there's nothing to be found in any case.

Looks like I'll have to declare war against fleas then.
Thanks for all the replies. The only pet I have is a hamster but sounds like you can pick them up anywhere then :s-smilie:

I was so worried it could be bedbugs as I've just moved into a furnished flat, but if that was the case surely the bites would be everywhere? I've inspected my bedroom and there's nothing to be found in any case.

Looks like I'll have to declare war against fleas then.

Have you been spending time outdoors recently? It could well be fleas, but if you've been on holiday or even just been out in the country or near water, while wearing sandals, it could be midges or mosquitoes or something. If it was bedbugs they would be all over your body though. :yep:
I have 8 bites on me at the moment from being out in hills the other day. Two of them are really swollen.

I haven't put anything on them, and I don't plan to. Just avoid scratching them and deal with it. They'll go away soon enough.
Reply 16
You'll probably be able to see fleas if you're getting bitten - when we had fleas, I'd see them on my legs sometimes.

does your house have carpets? fleas love carpets, and will have loads of eggs in there. if someone had a pet in there before you, the fleas could still be there because the eggs last for agggeessss and then 'wake up' when they sense vibrations (like you moving in). they'll live anywhere - floorboards, beds, sofas... anywhere.

we got a flea bomb, and some powder which we put everywhere. the best thing though was we borrowed the neighbour's cat who gave us fleas, and while treating her let her in the house - fleas jump on cat, fleas die. worked a treat.
could be a heat rash, i once thought my feet were covered in insect bites, ended up being a heat rash.
If your wearing sandles as your walking along bugs on the ground probably are able to get your feet and ankles. I realised this, I'm wearing little sandles at the minute and they usually are in the grass and get you as your walking along.
WAt ok i do

Latest