Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!!

I've got a cold and would like to know if Vicks is any good as I have heard that you shouldn't use it due to something it contains.

ReputationRep:
    Vicks have a big range now, did you just mean the rub?

What symptoms?

runny nose
    blocked nose
    sore throat
    cough (productive/unproductive?)
    headaches
    achy muscles

How long has is been going on for? Have you tried anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Vicks have a big range now, did you just mean the rub?

What symptoms?

runny nose
    blocked nose
    sore throat
    cough (productive/unproductive?)
    headaches
    achy muscles

How long has is been going on for? Have you tried anything yet?
    I meant the rub.

Symptoms are:
    Runny nose
    Tears
    Blocked nose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wigman15)
    I meant the rub.

Symptoms are:
    Runny nose
    Tears
    Blocked nose
    Vicks rub will help tonight I suppose but get some decongestant tablets tomorrow (or you might even have some - sudafed is a popular brand name version). That should help with nose and eyes. Take ibuprofen (as long as you're not asthamatic) instead of paracetamol if you feel the need for a pain killer.

Don't bother with mixes or syrups because they are useless. I like to mix=up 1/2 lemon, tablespoon of honey and a fizzy co-codamol when I'm feeling under-the-weather (it's also good if you have no apetite - honey )

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in Boots on the pharmacy - obviously it's something I miss at uni!

ReputationRep:
    Vaporub is good for colds; I have used it since I was small, but I rarely use it nowadays. The stuff in our cabinet has a best before date of Oct 2002!

Today actually I stuck a teaspoon of the stuff into a bowl of boiling water and inhaled the vapours for a while. I poured the stuff down the sink, but unfortunately I was told that this blocks the sink.

Sometimes I take the lid off and put my nose to the container and inhale like crazy.

Before going to bed, rub some on your back, chest and throat. If you're brave enough, stick a load on your nostrils.

To torture someone, stick the stuff on an unsuspecting victim's eyes.

J.

ReputationRep:
    Vicks makes me feel worse. When I get a cold, I find that the best way to feel better is to sit in a cold room and have an ice lolly. Vicks just makes my nose stream and my eyes water. It makes me feel like commiting suicide!

ReputationRep:
    I think Olbas oil is really good its also very cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)

Before going to bed, rub some on your back, chest and throat. If you're brave enough, stick a load on your nostrils.

J.
    Would you be able to sleep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    You would suffocate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Of course - I might do it tonight! Breathing through the nose with Vicks on it really does keep your nose clear, giving a good night's sleep. I think on the tub it says not to do this though. Make sure not to put too much on!

J.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.