The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

People commuting to DMU!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi, i am moving to Leicester at the end of septermber to go to De montford Uni, where are good places to live ?
Code looks nice but it is 105 plus electricity ! how much would electricity be per week ?
Thank you :confused:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
- shuaib_123 Apparently Bede Hall and Newarke Point.

- Jake Bowman Well at least you got in and it was easy huh!
Reply 42
Original post by Jessicarrrrx
Hello there! I just wanted to see if I could make contact with any fellow commuters? I'm going to be getting the train as it was the best option for me in regards to money, a job and just life in general. It's only 20 minutes away for me so...

Anyway I really wanted to see if anyone else (of course there are lots of commuters, but I mean on this site) doing the same thing?!

I'm a little worried about Freshers week in the DAY! I've made a few friends who have asked me to go out and stay at their halls... etc but in the day it's not so simple as to just get drunk and say hi! :wink:

I look forward to hearing from people!

Hello! i´m commuting too:smile: it will take me about an hour and a half on the bus to get to dmu cuz i live in rugby! :/ couldnt afford to live in halls. i am also worried about freshers too, as i have only just started looking for people to go to freshers with and havent met anyone yet :3
Original post by KillForOreos
- shuaib_123 Apparently Bede Hall and Newarke Point.

- Jake Bowman Well at least you got in and it was easy huh!

Haha yeah, I got pretty lucky.
Reply 44
How's everyone feeling about the night time events? I really want to go to the bar crawl, the ball if people go and the silent disco maybe? :tongue: unsure whether to get the wristband?
Any of you commuters buying it?
I dont want to get it if i end up not having anyone to go with because i dont know anyone from halls!

X
Reply 45
Hi all i'm commuting but its only about a 20-30 minute bus ride from me and i will drive it some days so its even quicker.

Just hoping to make friends quickly who will let me crash at theirs especially for freshers because taxis are well expensive and for some reason my legs cease to work when im completely ****ed so not many taxis will take me anyway.

Should be an interesting week all in all!!!
Reply 46
Where abouts are you commuting from? :smile:
Reply 47
From a village called fleckney its more market harborough way than leicester
Reply 48
Original post by tiamookymoo
I'm Loughborough :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm commuting to Dmu from Loughborough too! :smile:
Original post by Raeee.S
How's everyone feeling about the night time events? I really want to go to the bar crawl, the ball if people go and the silent disco maybe? :tongue: unsure whether to get the wristband?
Any of you commuters buying it?
I dont want to get it if i end up not having anyone to go with because i dont know anyone from halls!

X

Yeah I'd like to go to at least a few but I don't really know of anyone yet. People have added me on facebook but they're more likely and are talking to people that are living in halls like themselves.
I wish i stayed in halls and didn't commute my foundation and first year!
Reply 51
Still trying to decide whether to get the £40 wristband :/ whats everyone else doing for the wristband and events?
Reply 52
Hey, not sure if anyone is still following this thread but just wondering what your all doing for freshers week? Went to the ball last night but everyone seemed to know each other and i was just on my own:/ I am meant to be going to the bar crawl but now im dreading it cause i dont know anyone
Reply 53
Aww Sophia, don't be worried. When lectures start you'll make loads of friends. Pm me and we can swap numbers so we could meet up this week! I commute too xx
Reply 54
Original post by Jessicarrrrx
Aww Sophia, don't be worried. When lectures start you'll make loads of friends. Pm me and we can swap numbers so we could meet up this week! I commute too xx

Ah Jessica :smile: Its ysobella, i didnt make this account incase your wondering why it says sophia lol. Have you been to much freshers stuff? xx
Reply 55
I'll PM you on facebook! xxx
Reply 56
Commuter's Guide
Stay at a friends hall, so make lot of friends.
If you know other commuter's or friends from different uni/city get a cheap hotel room together.
If you’re driving home after a night out remember you have to stay sober.
If you live in the same city or a near by city remember to know the bus time table as this works out a lot cheaper or you could also call for a taxi.
Expand your network. Make lots of friends, social websites are great e.g. Twitter, Facebook, TRS, University Website, Student Union, Linked In + many more.
Join societies, uni gym and sports clubs. That way you will have fun and easily make friends with similar interests.
Make sure you get involved in everything, just because you commute don't let it affect your university life. Commuter's can party hard!
Invite friends over to your house, throw a house party with close friends. Let some stay at your house (if it's okay with house owner obviously.) This way they will feel that they can invite you and let you stay in their room.
Make friends that commute this way you will know what each of you go through and can plan events together.
Get involved, become a course rep, faculty rep, student ambassador, get involved with your student union.
Get a university job or a job in the main city centre. This way you will make friends with students in the whole city.
Make sure your up to date with all the major events. So do follow pages or event groups on Facebook and twitter. Plan a nights out with friends! Buy them drinks.
Have a going out outfit in your car or bag or locker in case your friends randomly decide a night out. Girls always keep a makeup bag in your purse :wink:
Join a commuter’s society or create one. Always let SU. Know of any concerns.
Do present yourself in the way you want people to see you. Be your real self! don't change yourself for others, but don't be overly drunk so that friends think your a handful! Be classy, be yourself and show your personality :smile:
Do your reading on the train/buses. Make sure you keep yourself productive in your journey. If it doesn’t suit you, just relax.
Time management is important, so make sure you keep a diary or however it suits you, but be organised.
know the train time table. download national enquires app. Know bus timing so that you don’t waste your time
Remember your saving money! It’s your education! So remind yourself that when you feel as if your missing out on ‘uni life’ independence’ (but really your being independent by commuting )
If you are driving. Parking fee is expensive so know where to park.
Have an mp3/ ipod to listen to on your journey.
Get the student rail discount card, seasonally/term student ticket (west midlands network scheme), oyster card (London)- ask at the bus station/ train station about deals they might have available.
Reply 57
Original post by Candy_x
I'm commuting to Dmu from Loughborough too! :smile:

I've only just found this forum, I'm commuting from Loughborough too!
Reply 58
Original post by Chloexx94
I've only just found this forum, I'm commuting from Loughborough too!

Awesome! :biggrin: haha sorry completely forgot about tsr :P
Reply 59
Hey peeps! Im doing psychology and criminology at DMU, any one else doing it then let me know guys and im in 2 minds about commuting from birmingham or staying in a student house as its expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending