The Student Room Group

A Mum's Viewpoint on Tattoos

Scroll to see replies

Personally, i don't like tatoos either but this mother seems a bit over the top in my opinion! :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
God, stupid woman, ranting on about a tattoo. What about all the parents with dead kids? Does she think that they would care if their child had a tattoo? Of course they wouldn't. It's aesthetic. There are millions of people who would give anything to have their children back, and she's throwing a tantrum over a tattoo? She should grow up, appreciate what she has.

Was reading the comments on the link, and comments on the Facebook version (where I first saw it) and a lot of people feel she is insinuating she'd have preferred it if he'd been in an accident. I kind of feel that she's thinking that, too. I feel so sorry for her son- she's treating him like a stranger just because he got some ink on him that she can't even see and has not seen once!
Reply 22
My mum's always been against tattoos, but when her parents banned her from getting piercings she pierced her own ears five times.

I got my tattoo this year and put it on Facebook (but I don't have her on there, she found out three weeks later through a friend). Her first reaction was "I think I might get one too" it wasn't until I was going home five weeks later and I told her she'd finally get to see it that she was like "Hang on, you mean you really did get a tattoo?"

It took her another few weeks to finally admit she was ok with it but she didn't freak out half as much as I was expecting. Too bad I never got a chance of testing out her reaction to a teenage pregnancy!
Reply 23
Original post by manx1991
My mum's always been against tattoos, but when her parents banned her from getting piercings she pierced her own ears five times.

I got my tattoo this year and put it on Facebook (but I don't have her on there, she found out three weeks later through a friend). Her first reaction was "I think I might get one too" it wasn't until I was going home five weeks later and I told her she'd finally get to see it that she was like "Hang on, you mean you really did get a tattoo?"

It took her another few weeks to finally admit she was ok with it but she didn't freak out half as much as I was expecting. Too bad I never got a chance of testing out her reaction to a teenage pregnancy!

Been there, done that and the reaction is not as you would expect! Me and my housemate got into a discussion about whether our parents would freak out more if we rang home and told them we were engaged, or were pregnant (or, for my male housemate, got his girlfriend pregnant). I decided to actually test this out, to my friend's shock. The plan was to ask my mum which was worse, then to jokingly say "Well, in that case I have good news!" and say the other one.

My mum's response when I asked her which was worse "I don't know, they're both good!"

:eek:
Reply 24
Painful reading. Sounds like she would rather her son murdered someone than got a tattoo.
Reply 25
It sounds like she still thinks of her son as a kid, living under her roof and he should follow all her rules. Then he does something he doesn't like and she realises - no, he's not a child any more, and she can't punish him like one. See, everyone grows up at some point, and the poor writer is only just realising this.

She obviously has the wrong reaction to this - she should try trolling her kid. I dyed my hair as a teenager *bright purple - it looked awesome* and pierced my nose and belly button - my parents just said it looked good and that they all suited me. ¬.¬ So much for my tiny rebellion.
Original post by G550NDH
its on my back. so i just close the door and lock it when im changing clothes !

Same lol There have been a couple of close calls though :ninjagirl:
That woman is unbelievably ignorant. What kind of mother would rather their son lost an arm than get a tattoo? She is completely pathetic, having a tattoo changes nothing about you as a person, its freedom of expression like piercings or dyeing your hair. If I was the boy I would have told her to grow up, and have a word with my dad to see if he could talk some sense into her.
Reply 28
Original post by Newday
Yeah, and her intolerance is probably one of the main reasons why her son got a tattoo. At some point a mom just has to let go and let her son do it his own way...

Indeed. Otherwise, he's better off without her.
Reply 29
Original post by syrettd
Has anyone else read this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo

I can't believe someone can be that distraught about their child getting a tattoo at the age of 21!

I think that the writer loved her son very much, and wanted nothing but the best for him. As she said herself, tattoos had (still have, in fact) a slightly negative stigma attached to them.

Indeed, many tattoos serve as membership markers for gangs, and are commonly associated with the lower classes of society. (Not my views - I know there are honest people out there who got a tattoo simply because they liked the idea, and that's alright with me)

It must have pained her to feel that her own son was somehow associated with that kind of crowd, and the fact that he had never seriously consulted her opinion before carrying out a permanent body modification procedure only served to rub salt in the wound.
Reply 30
Original post by Off_My_Planet
Same lol There have been a couple of close calls though :ninjagirl:

lol once my mum just went into my room without knocking i was half naked so i jumped on my bed and lied there hiding the tattoo. she was like wtf ?
Reply 31
Original post by Jack West
IIt must have pained her to feel that her own son was somehow associated with that kind of crowd, and the fact that he had never seriously consulted her opinion before carrying out a permanent body modification procedure only served to rub salt in the wound.

And that's the entire problem with her outlook. She assumes that her opinion actually matters in this regard. Tattoos, body mods, etc. are more often than not expressions of personal identity. The guy clearly thought about it long and hard and it's important to him. Her opinion in no way matters and I personally think she should look at her own prejudices and values.

I can't see how she can write that way about her son. She's basically stating that her own feelings about her son's body are more important than his well thought through expression of personal identity, ie his feelings about his own body. It's ridiculous and exceptionally self-absorbed.
I think that the writer loved her son very much, and wanted nothing but the best for him. As she said herself, tattoos had (still have, in fact) a slightly negative stigma attached to them.

Indeed, many tattoos serve as membership markers for gangs, and are commonly associated with the lower classes of society. (Not my views - I know there are honest people out there who got a tattoo simply because they liked the idea, and that's alright with me)

It must have pained her to feel that her own son was somehow associated with that kind of crowd, and the fact that he had never seriously consulted her opinion before carrying out a permanent body modification procedure only served to rub salt in the wound.

I see your point, but at 21 I don't think it is any of her business, he shouldn't have to consult her on something like that - or anything really if he doesn't want to.

He is a grown man who can make his own decisions without asking his mum and she should really grow up and stop being so dramatic.
Reply 33

I could understand her viewpoint if this is all her article had said. But that she'd rather he'd impregnated a girl, comparing it to losing a limb in an accident and implying that is better than a tattoo, and saying her son is now a stranger is just too much. She does really needs to sit down and think for a bit longer. Her son is still the same person, and it is an overreaction- and probably hurtful to him- that she claims she doesn't know who he is anymore.
Bloody hell, what a ridiculous woman. In the scheme of things a tattoo, unless it's a massive skull drawn on your face, is completely insignificant and if that made her not talk to her son for 3 days she needs to get a life. No, really, she needs to find other things to care so much about in her life than whether her son went against her (irrational) advice. And lol @ genuinely being worried about "sunscreen and cancer from mobile phones", classic nightmare parent.
Original post by G550NDH
lol once my mum just went into my room without knocking i was half naked so i jumped on my bed and lied there hiding the tattoo. she was like wtf ?

Well, my mum came barging into my room once when I was getting dressed. I turned to face her to hide my back... conveniently forgetting the full length mirror behind me! I ended up backing into it pretty fast.

The lengths I have gone to to hide do seem a bit ridiculous now I stop and think about it :colondollar:
How ridiculous. Just because she repeatedly told him not to get one doesn't mean that he has to forever listen to her when he's a grown adult with his own money. He's his own person and can make his own decisions and just because she says something doesn't mean that he has to live by it like it's his Bible. God, she needs to get over it and stop dramatising.

I think what was even worse was how bad she was trying to make the tattoo out to be, like him getting someone pregnant was even better or that she'd find it easier dealing with him losing a limb in an accident. If he doesn't like it when he grows up, that's his decision to live with, not hers. She doesn't even have to look at it if she doesn't want to.
I just wanted to know what the bloody tat was. She needs to chillax. But my dad despises tattoos and he'd probably react in the same way as that woman.

My mum's got one though and I really like them, so I'm gonna get one when I'm older. I've wanted the one I'm getting for ages and I'm waiting until I'm completely independent to get it, and then it's going on my thigh so it's really easily hidden.
Reply 38
Taken from the Guardian comments, pointing out for my money the most fatuous statement of the article (the ones about losing an arm and getting someone pregnant are clearly hyperbole):

"But what if he wants to be a lawyer?"

"Or an accountant."

Given that he's a student, you can easily tell if he wants to be one of these by finding out if he is studying Law or Accountancy. Given your relationship with him, I would suggest the easiest way to found out would be by writing to the Admissions Department of his FE institution.
Reply 39
Original post by Off_My_Planet
Well, my mum came barging into my room once when I was getting dressed. I turned to face her to hide my back... conveniently forgetting the full length mirror behind me! I ended up backing into it pretty fast.

The lengths I have gone to to hide do seem a bit ridiculous now I stop and think about it :colondollar:

She seems to go in there unannounced A LOT. Maybe she knows and is trying to catch you out? :tongue:

Next time, just casually turn around so she sees your back, and when she goes "You've got a tattoo?!?!?!" Just freak out and pretend you didn't know it was there!

Quick Reply

Latest