Turn on thread page Beta

uni life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to accept a university offer but the only thing holding me back is the lad/ladette stereotyped lifestyle of uni. I'm no prude and have myself enjoyed such a lifestyle. It may be a phase but I want a life with more meaning- I'm worried that I won't enjoy uni now.

Does anyone share my fear? or do you have any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)
    I'm probably going to accept a university offer but the only thing holding me back is the lad/ladette stereotyped lifestyle of uni. I'm no prude and have myself enjoyed such a lifestyle. It may be a phase but I want a life with more meaning- I'm worried that I won't enjoy uni now.

What is wrong with enjoying uni? As longs as you balance it right and focus on your work as your main pririty you will be fine. I feel guiltly at the moment because I am not doing that much work but I am sure I will do when I need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    What is wrong with enjoying uni? As longs as you balance it right and focus on your work as your main pririty you will be fine. I feel guiltly at the moment because I am not doing that much work but I am sure I will do when I need to.
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong in enjoying uni, I just feel that by not living the lifestyle anymore, I may be an outcast. I don't want to feel an outsider by choosing a certain way of life but I do want to enjoy uni.

ReputationRep:
    Not every uni student is a trainee alcoholic/layabout/sex-maniac/whatever. Don't be put off by stereotypes, there'll be plenty of others who are like you. I know lots of studnets who are neither lads nor ladettes and they're having a great time. Go for it and don't compromise on your own beliefs (you won't need to).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by researcher)
    Not every uni student is a trainee alcoholic/layabout/sex-maniac/whatever. Don't be put off by stereotypes, there'll be plenty of others who are like you. I know lots of studnets who are neither lads nor ladettes and they're having a great time. Go for it and don't compromise on your own beliefs (you won't need to).
    I'm not a 'typical student' and i'm still really looking forward to going... I don't drink that much, I already have a boyfriend and he is going to a different uni so i won't be a sex maniac, I am planning on working really hard as I want to get a really good degree...but still have a great time... so don't worry- there will be lots of other people like you...just go for it- you will have a great time...

Which uni are u planning to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Thats the joy of uni, there are all sorts of people there. You may have put up with the same people for the last 5 years or so, who are all boring, snobbish, gavish, out all the time etc., but that will change! I think almost verybody can find their niche at uni if they want to, even if its sitting in the common room all night drinking coffee and talking about lib dem politics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)

dont be silly of course there will be that type of cultre..but as with anywhere, there are always all different types of cultures some of which you wont even see.. goth culture? punk culture? drug culture? it just depends whether you choose to a)notice or b)join in or c) focus on groups you want to be a part of

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's not all lgoing to be lads/ladettes. Depending on what uni you pick a lot of them will probably work hard. I and probably the majority of this forum arent lads/ladettes and are mostly going to / at uni! Don't stress about lifestyle, because I guarantee you it won't be like you imagine.

ReputationRep:
    I think the point with most unis is that there are thousands of people, who are all into different sorts of things and from different backgrounds. And while there is a certain "student" culture, you can still enjoy uni life without being one of the "lads/ladettes".

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.