Turn on thread page Beta

uni life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to accept a university offer but the only thing holding me back is the lad/ladette stereotyped lifestyle of uni. I'm no prude and have myself enjoyed such a lifestyle. It may be a phase but I want a life with more meaning- I'm worried that I won't enjoy uni now.

Does anyone share my fear? or do you have any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I was a prude at uni and I had no problems. If you don't like the party/boozing culture, don't get involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)
    I'm probably going to accept a university offer but the only thing holding me back is the lad/ladette stereotyped lifestyle of uni. I'm no prude and have myself enjoyed such a lifestyle. It may be a phase but I want a life with more meaning- I'm worried that I won't enjoy uni now.

Does anyone share my fear? or do you have any thoughts?

sorry, isn't this the entire point of uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timmy Tapeworm)
    I was a prude at uni and I had no problems. If you don't like the party/boozing culture, don't get involved.
    That's all well and good but if there aren't others who share your view/lifestyle you may feel left out. You may be comfortable in that but I'm not sure if I will. I also don't want to waste time money at uni by not having fun, I just want to have fun by other means -don't know how tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    sorry, isn't this the entire point of uni?
    exactement. Should I even go with such a view?

ReputationRep:
    That's all well and good but if there aren't others who share your view/lifestyle you may feel left out. You may be comfortable in that but I'm not sure if I will. I also don't want to waste time money at uni by not having fun, I just want to have fun by other means -don't know how tho.
    if you have so many doubts don;t go, but what will you do instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    if you have so many doubts don;t go, but what will you do instead?
    ok ok that's my next dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you should perhaps stay at home or somthing. University culture entices late nights and drinking, I am as goodie goodie as they come but since going to uni I've been drinking far too much and going clubbing nearly every week. I also live at home too.

I want to have a few years of this life style so I am not complaining. Are you worried you may be out every night or somthing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It sounds like you should perhaps stay at home or somthing. University culture entices late nights and drinking, I am as goodie goodie as they come but since going to uni I've been drinking far too much and going clubbing nearly every week. I also live at home too.

I want to have a few years of this life style so I am not complaining. Are you worried you may be out every night or somthing?
    I'm worried that I may be the outcast by not living that lifestyle. It'd be good if I went and there were a good few sharing my view and were fun to be with also.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that I may be the outcast by not living that lifestyle. It'd be good if I went and there were a good few sharing my view and were fun to be with also.
    Where are you thinking of going?

ReputationRep:
    At my university you can choose accomdation to meet your needs, a lot of universities do this. My university has a student village called castle irewell, they say if you want piece and quiet avoid it. Parties are going on there 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it that I have these bouts of seriousness and looking at my life and future, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Where are you thinking of going?
    essex

ReputationRep:
    At my university you can choose accomdation to meet your needs, a lot of universities do this. My university has a student village called castle irewell, they say if you want piece and quiet avoid it. Parties are going on there 24/7.
    Good point. I think that's what I'll do next - look into the accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it that I have these bouts of seriousness and looking at my life and future, too.
    I was like this at college, I never went out or anything I was a nerd basicaly, however I managed to achieve the second highest grade in the country in one of my exams, and also got one of the best grades in Manchester for my course (AVCE ICT and AS Bussines Studies). At university I have let things slip, I should still be able to get a 2:1 though but if i had my old attitude I wouldn't be sat here now, I would be revising.

So its probably a good attitude you have.

ReputationRep:
    essex
    Ah, a lovely uni. You'll be ok there - it may seem like it at first, but not everyone wants to get pissed every night

ReputationRep:
    Good point. I think that's what I'll do next - look into the accommodation.
    Don't go for those ghastly towers!

ReputationRep:
    I was like this at college, I never went out or anything I was a nerd basicaly, however I managed to achieve the second highest grade in the country in one of my exams, and also got one of the best grades in Manchester for my course (AVCE ICT and AS Bussines Studies). At university I have let things slip, I should still be able to get a 2:1 though but if i had my old attitude I wouldn't be sat here now, I would be revising.

So its probably a good attitude you have.
    yea, probably but the main reason is I just want to make the most of my years at uni as possible. I'm working the night shift at the mo, I want to make the most of the money I'm earning from this crap job.

ReputationRep:
    Although the majority may be into the going out drinking/partying every night thing, not everyone does. You should be able to find plenty of people with similar opions to your own. For example - most of my flat is out at Come Play down at the union, but I just got back from the cinema and film soc. There is something for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Don't go for those ghastly towers!
    Yea, I've heard about them too, it's great for making loads of mates but I know all they do is party, and you don't get much sleep. But, it's cheap.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.