This discussion is closed.
jonathan.davis25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I've extensively researched the role of RAF Staff Nurse, the recruitment process and what opportunities are available to me once I am part of PMRAFNS.

I still have some questions, however, which mainly concern the recruitment process and the application process, with a consideration that I will be applying as an airman, rather than an officer.

As I understand it, and can someone please correct me if I am wrong, the application process is as follows:

-Application form (Either internet, or complete it at the AFCO)
-Aptitude Test (Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning, and other reasoning tests)
-Interview
-Medical & Fitness test

What happens after this ? I am getting conflicting information from varying sources - some suggest that you go to OASC for final selection and then go to PRTC if successful.

Can someone clarify the selection process, and when is it recommended that an application be submitted to the RAF? - If possible, I don't want a large gap between finishing university and waiting for pay.

(I'm hoping I won't have any financial responsibility by then - however, I do have little things that I pay out for at the minute which I don't want to end up in trouble over)

If I can't avoid that gap, I'll have to formulate a plan in terms of financing the gap, I'm not going to not apply just because of that!

It is important to note that I will be applying to the RAF as a newly qualified nurse, and therefore won't be applying for Officer selection immediately, I am also a Diploma Student (I couldn't afford to do the degree).
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK - what role do you think you are applying for? I ask this because there isn't a 'RAF Staff Nurse' on the careers website. What do the RAF call the job you think you want?

I thought the Registered Nurse (Adult) role was professionally qualified - isn't that more than a diploma?

Finally - applying to join the Forces can take some time - you certainly can't bank on walking straignt from uni to a job.
jonathan.davis25
Rep:
?
I'm not expecting to leave university and walk straight into the RAF, as I said I'd have to find a back up plan.

The registered nurse (adult role) is a professionally qualified and having a degree or diploma enters you onto the NMC register as a professionally qualified nurse.

What I am asking for at this stage is clarification on the selection and training process.

The RAF trade page for registered nurse (adult) indicates that you can apply before you qualify, it says 'if you are a nurse about to qualify for entry onto the NMC register or if you are already registered'

A diploma in nursing is very different to a college diploma, it's a diploma HE rather than diploma n FE.

Its not the job I think I want the registered nurse role is the job I know I want.
RAF-Recruiter
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are eligible to apply if you are three months or less from receiving your nursing register PIN number. Also, you have to register your interest and be put on the wait list with the Careers Information Line (after speaking to the AFCO.) Once the trade is open for applications, you'll receive the application forms by email which you then complete and submit on-line.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
jonathan.davis25
Rep:
?
Thank you.

Am I able to register my interest at any time and be put on the wait list, and then complete and submit the application form when I am 3 months from qualifying, or do I have to register my interest 3 months or less before receiving my PIN?

Would it reflect badly on my application if, I applied for and was successful at getting another job, and then leaving that job if I was offered a place in the RAF? I know this may sound trivial to some, but being a nurse in the RAF is what I really want to do, but at the same time, I realise that it's not wise to set myself on one job and one job only.

As I understand it, the application process itself can take sometimes months to complete, and therefore, I wouldn't want to be left without a job during this time, but I would (and this sounds kind of selfish) probably leave a job if I was given the opportunity to join the RAF.

Many thanks for your advice so far, it's useful to know how the process works!
RAF-Recruiter
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You need to be eligible to be put on the wait list. WRT working whilst on the wait list and going through your application, no one expects you to put your life on hold. In fact, getting a job would look very good as it shows you are getting out and doing something, gaining life experience etc. You could be on the wait list for months, you could spend months going through the application. Get yourself eligible, get registered then carry on with life! It's not uncommon got someone to take 18 months from registering to entering service.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
jondavis30
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for your reply.

Am I correct in saying that the Min fitness levels for 25/26 yr old male = Run 2.4km in 11 min 11 secs, 35 situps in 1 minute and 44 pressups in 2 minutes?

Is there a specific trade selection process for this role (post AST at the AFCO and post interview at the AFCO?

I think you've told me what I need to know, for now at least! I just want as much information as possible so I can be prepared! If it does take such a time that I'm eligible to enter for officer status rather than airman, am i able to change this part way through the application?

It may be something I'd consider, should I become eligible, but I plan to get the process under way as soon as possible!

Thank you for your help and support!
applicant1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think to be a officer nurse they are looking for experience, as your role will be managing nurses.

You can't make a clean switch during the recruitment process but you could re start your application.

You could however go in as an RN and after a couple of years try to become an officer. I know this is possible but Im not sure of the process.

Just to add my ltd knowledge to the pot.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Hazzaa26
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey, I'm about to start basic training as a reg. nurse.. and i am wondering if someone could please confirm something for me as AFCO have told me different things...Do nurses pass out at halton as AC, like most other personnel? or do they pass out as acting cpl?also are we paid during RTS the pay stipulated on the RAF careers website (which is equivalent to the pay of SAC) or are we also paid NERP?Thank you in advanceH
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hazzaa26)
hey, I'm about to start basic training as a reg. nurse.. and i am wondering if someone could please confirm something for me as AFCO have told me different things...Do nurses pass out at halton as AC, like most other personnel? or do they pass out as acting cpl?also are we paid during RTS the pay stipulated on the RAF careers website (which is equivalent to the pay of SAC) or are we also paid NERP?Thank you in advanceH
You've bumped a three year old thread here, where you're unlikely to get a reply.

I'm pretty sure you don't get acting Cpl until you finish your pre reg nurse training at university, this was the case with my friend who was an army nurse and the only military students I encounter with rank are the ones who've done trade transfers.

As for pay, I can't answer that for you, I think your best bet would be to speak to your recruiter about this.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (279)
15.35%
Uncertainty around my education (284)
15.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (180)
9.91%
Isolating with family (128)
7.04%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (83)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (152)
8.37%
Loneliness (179)
9.85%
Financial worries (75)
4.13%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (167)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
7.21%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.75%

Watched Threads