The Student Room Group

Will there be changes to how you apply to university?

Hi Nicola

Thanks for coming and talking to us my question is...

In Scotland you get into university based on what grades you actually get rather than predicted grades. I read about a review of the application system in the rest of the UK carried out by UCAS.

Could you give us an update, will things change? Will my kid sister in a few years have a whole new application system?

Personally I think it would be much better, taking stress and worry out of getting a place of uni on results day.

Thanks
Simon
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by spongepantssquarebob
Hi Nicola

Thanks for coming and talking to us my question is...

In Scotland you get into university based on what grades you actually get rather than predicted grades. I read about a review of the application system in the rest of the UK carried out by UCAS.

Could you give us an update, will things change? Will my kid sister in a few years have a whole new application system?

Personally I think it would be much better, taking stress and worry out of getting a place of uni on results day.

Thanks
Simon

Dear Simon

On the face of it may feel as if it makes sense to apply on the basis of actual rather than predicted grades, but it is not actually that straightforward. You are right and there has just been a review of this issue by schools and universities and the decision has been that in England the system of predicted grades will stay. The main point here is that universities do not only take grades into account when deciding who to admit - it is a much more rounded exercise that takes into account a whole range of information (eg personal statement etc), and moving to actual grades could undermine that. So the same system will apply to your sister as now.

Nicola

Quick Reply

Latest