Turn on thread page Beta

Cannibalism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Meiwes

In 2001, 41-year-old Mr Meiwes advertised on the internet for a well-built male prepared to be slaughtered and then consumed.
    The ad was answered by 43-year-old Bernd-Jurgen Brandes.
    According to Meiwes, Brandes agreed to have his penis cut off. Meiwes then flambéed it and the two men ate it together.
    Meiwes then stabbed Brandes repeatedly in the neck until he was dead, dissected the corpse and ate it.
    The whole thing was captured on a camcorder; a recording the jurors will have to watch.
    It’s the claim that Bernd-Jurgen Brandes was a willing victim which really baffles us. It simply beggars belief. What kind of twisted psychological state can drive a man to volunteer to be killed and eaten?

The instinct towards self-preservation drives our horror. On an individual level we don’t want our bodies to be sliced, diced or dismembered in any way whatsoever. At a social level, we know that eating each other would destroy the species. Thus the taboo.

But it’s surprising how these mortal fears can be overcome by other instincts; especially the one that makes us protect our young. Peter Randall, from Sevenoaks in Kent, hit the headlines this week because he wanted to sell one of his kidneys. He needed the money to help fund medical treatment for his six-year-old daughter who has Cerebral Palsy.

So he posted an advert for the organ on ebay with a reserve price of £50,000. Unfortunately for him, squeamishness is institutionalised and his ad was removed by the company.

The sale of body parts is banned… presumably to prevent people like Mr Meiwes – who probably should be institutionalised – from purchasing them for dinner.

ok the above is from a bbc page, and this is pretty old news. What are your views of cannbalism? I have seen and watched some of the most disgusting films in the world (dont ask me which ones), but i still find cannibalism and the underlined bits pretty grewsome...

ReputationRep:
    What are we supposed to say, "oh no cannibalism is great, people make such good meat, big up Jonathan Swift"...

My mate said to me, "you want wierd, go to Korea and eat dogs, that's the extreme of wierd, you just don't go further than that!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    What are we supposed to say, "oh no cannibalism is great, people make such good meat, big up Jonathan Swift"...

My mate said to me, "you want wierd, go to Korea and eat dogs, that's the extreme of wierd, you just don't go further than that!"
    lol, ive eaten dog myself when i went to seoul

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have nightmares now reading about it all again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I'm going to have nightmares now reading about it all again...
    sorry its just that i hardly ever have the chance to dicuss this with anyone, obviously it is pretty nasty stuff, so i think its safer to do it in this forum

ReputationRep:
    all i can honestly say is ,..........ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwww
    its so disgusting...like in hannibal when he eats the guys brain! UGH

ReputationRep:
    Well the instinct for self preservation may overcome that very taboo. Remember that plane crash in the Andes, where a group of people where stranded and had nothing to eat? Hmm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Why eat people when we can eat yummy pigs, cows and chickens?
    Exactly dammit, and they don't have friends and family to worry about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    all i can honestly say is ,..........ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwww
    its so disgusting...like in hannibal when he eats the guys brain! UGH
    Eugh! I remeber that, what was funny was that he was still alive, apart from that, it was disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    sorry its just that i hardly ever have the chance to dicuss this with anyone, obviously it is pretty nasty stuff, so i think its safer to do it in this forum
    (accusingly) you're not sorry at all!

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a museum and I got to play with all the non=PC (readinteresting) stuff including cannibal bowls made out of skulls with inlaid mother-on-pearl and special four-pronged forks for eating brains with. My favourite part was the bone store... oo and the poisonous arrows and swords.

<those were the days>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I worked in a museum and I got to play with all the non=PC (readinteresting) stuff including cannibal bowls made out of skulls with inlaid mother-on-pearl and special four-pronged forks for eating brains with. My favourite part was the bone store... oo and the poisonous arrows and swords.

<those were the days>
    lol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.