Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Still feeling slightly bitter about my applications. Straight A's at AS and predicted AAA at A'level and didn't get into a top 10 uni.

Got rejections to study Economics from Oxford, Bath (AAB) and York (ABB). I'm thinking it is due to not having the full A'level in Maths.

Did anyone else apply this year to study Economics without having A'level Maths? If so, where did you apply, for what course and what offers have you received.

If you could also say what your predicted grades were, what subjects you studied at AS and what grades you got + what your GCSE grades were it would be cool. Interested to know whether i've been particularly unlucky and have the right to feel bitter - want to lay this to rest. If it is just bad luck then i might take a gap year and reapply so it would be good to know.

Myself:

GCSE's 5 x A* - 1 x A - 3 x B
    AS'levels - Physics, Business Studies, Geography, Maths (Dropped Maths at A'level) - achieved AAAA

Application: Oxford (rejected after interview), Bath (rejected), York (Rejected), Manchester (ABB), St Andrews (ABB)

My application choices were very limited as most good universities require the A'level Maths.

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    well i only applied to 2 courses for straight economics:

Economics - Edinburgh -rejected
    Bsc Economics - Birmingham BBB
    Bsc Business Economics and Finance BBC (though i have the option to do straight economics, as u do economics in the first year)
    BA Business Economics - Leicester BBB (same as above)
    BA Business Economics - Reading 280 points (same as above)
    BA Business Economics - Keele 260 points

Gcse's:
    2*A's
    6*B's
    3*C's

disapointed with them as the majority of B's were high B's so i was kinda pissed off

AS Results were bad, but due to a blip i believe as all my jan marks were excellent,
    Economics C (only because i flopped the last paper and got U, which im obviously retaking)
    ICT B (few marks off an A)
    English Language D

Predictions: BBC

so i don't think u will be descrimnated against for not having the full a level, the only reason i believe for my rejection at edinburgh is my relatively low grades
    if you have a good PS showing your desire for economics backed up with a good reference, you should be okay but it all depends on the uni i guess
    i'm not worried by the maths content because Birmingham have the option to study theoretical modules, and i will take some time out to brush up on my maths in the summer anyway

good luck..
    you can do do economics at a good-ish uni and get a good class of degree and then maybe move on to do masters
    so your prospects after the degree should be fine u just got to be optomistic and be willing to work that extra bit

i gotta run , late for college lol

ReputationRep:
    i applied to do eco with out maths

got rejected from bath york and lse(acc n fin) and offers from st ands , leics and exeter. my predicted grades are A A A/B A in eco politics, eng lit and general studies respectively. gcses 2A*s 6As and 4Bs.

all the courses i applied to though were in the arts department and only required a B at gcse maths and i got an A. ECON got rejected form bath and york like us to! hmmm maybe there's a consipirency lol!

ReputationRep:
    i think this year yorkand bath r rejecting any1 without a level maths. which i think is silly to be honest..most people that do hav a level maths will probablyget offers from say ucl and warwick as well, so y wud they accept a bath offer? there r quite a lot of people on this board with offers from bath for econ but i havent seen a single one yet that is planning on accepting it as a firm.
    this is so unfair on those without maths - the uni is gna end up witha slightly empty course i think wen there r loadsa ppl who wud hav taken it if theyd been given offers! lol just my opinion anwyay...
    got my rejection from lse yday so im going ucl! yaay so happy!
    whose gna b joining me?

ReputationRep:
    I applied with only AS Maths and only picked up AS economics this year.

Got offers from all the unis I applied to which involve economics but they are all BA's and joint honours.

* Economics and Development Studies - BBB - Sussex
    * Economics and Development Studies - BBC - Swansea
    * Economics and Development Studies - BBB - Manchester
    * Economics and Development Studies - BBB - SOAS

* Development Studies - BBC - UEA
    * Development Studies - BBC - Leeds

ReputationRep:
    I did AS Maths

Oxford- E&M (rejected after interview)
    Warwick- Industrial Economics (AABb)
    Nottingham- Industrial Economics (ABBe)
    Southampton- economics and finance (ABB)
    Essex- Economics (cant remember)
    Bath- Economics (rejected)

ReputationRep:
    TO take on econmics at university degree, is it necessary to take econmics or business studies at A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shopaholicjenni)
    TO take on econmics at university degree, is it necessary to take econmics or business studies at A level?
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    no
    Thank

ReputationRep:
    Economics - ever so slightly useful but definitely not necessary. Business Studies - irrelevant, a different subject.

ReputationRep:
    mind you you get an advantage if you do economics at alevel because some courses eg economics at manchester...let you have a lower grade requirement if you do economics at alevel!

ReputationRep:
    mind you you get an advantage if you do economics at alevel because some courses eg economics at manchester...let you have a lower grade requirement if you do economics at alevel!
    I see, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I see, thanks
    np

ReputationRep:
    But with out A-Level Maths, some Unis won't give you an offer at all. Some universities do like you to have Economics, I know last year some Oxford PPE offers were given out including an A in Economics if you studied it.

But in general, you can certainly get a First without studying Economics at A-Level, which I think most people care about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    But with out A-Level Maths, some Unis won't give you an offer at all. Some universities do like you to have Economics, I know last year some Oxford PPE offers were given out including an A in Economics if you studied it.

But in general, you can certainly get a First without studying Economics at A-Level, which I think most people care about.
    yep maths is with no doubt the most important subject for doing economics at uni

ReputationRep:
    If u wanna get into a top uni and do Economics ...having Business Studies a-level would do u no good.
    Mathematics A-level is essential and Economics and Further Maths A-level are v.useful...do as many maths modules as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    If u wanna get into a top uni and do Economics ...having Business Studies a-level would do u no good.
    Mathematics A-level is essential and Economics and Further Maths A-level are v.useful...do as many maths modules as possible.
    I understand i have to take maths if i wish to study econimcs at a top uni, thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    I understand i have to take maths if i wish to study econimcs at a top uni, thank you very much
    This isn't always true. My friend applied for economics at top uni's and only had a B in GCSE maths and got 6 offers (including Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff and Manchester). Though you are at an advantage when you have maths to A2, unless the uni states it, it's not mandatory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    This isn't always true. My friend applied for economics at top uni's and only had a B in GCSE maths and got 6 offers (including Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff and Manchester). Though you are at an advantage when you have maths to A2, unless the uni states it, it's not mandatory.
    O, so it really depends on the entry requirments of specific uni's, did your friend take econmics alevel?

ReputationRep:
    The tip top places for economics all demand maths: Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick UCL. Economics is a mathematically intensive course, the majority of people who read it are going to have at least A-levels. Yes, so they may let you in but can you imagine catching up on a full two years worth of mathematics in the first term? Horror...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.