Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    This isn't always true. My friend applied for economics at top uni's and only had a B in GCSE maths and got 6 offers (including Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff and Manchester). Though you are at an advantage when you have maths to A2, unless the uni states it, it's not mandatory.
    I was under the impression Nottingham wanted A-Level Maths? Was this for a straight Economics degree or combined?

Anyway, if you were to apply to the top 6 universities for Economics in the UK without A-Level maths, you wouldn't recieve to many offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    This isn't always true. My friend applied for economics at top uni's and only had a B in GCSE maths and got 6 offers (including Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff and Manchester). Though you are at an advantage when you have maths to A2, unless the uni states it, it's not mandatory.
    BUT mandatory or not, when you're there you'll struggle without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    BUT mandatory or not, when you're there you'll struggle without it.
    I actually got specifically told by the Eco deparment that people with weak GCSE maths often struggle with the course; I also met someone who had gotten in to read History & Economics and dropped the Eco part because he felt he couldn't do the maths (and he had a good Maths GCSE, just didn't have maths A-level). So it definitely matters. Of course, if there are mitigating circumstances for a poor GCSE grade (crap school/illness etc) that's a different matter. Nevertheless, if you are poor at mathsm you really should think twice about about Economics courses at the top universties because, even if you get in, you may find it was a waste of time because you struggle to cope with the course. I'm told, for example, that Warwick's Economics course uses maths at an equivalent level to Further Maths AS in the first year. So it's pretty advanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    I was under the impression Nottingham wanted A-Level Maths? Was this for a straight Economics degree or combined?

Anyway, if you were to apply to the top 6 universities for Economics in the UK without A-Level maths, you wouldn't recieve to many offers
    Will you get many offers for top uni's for economics without econmics GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shopaholicjenni)
    Will you get many offers for top uni's for economics without econmics GCSE?
    Economics GCSE won't affect anything. Infact it doesn't matter what GCSEs you have, obviously Maths and English but to be honest they are just grades.
    With regards to Economics you probably won't even need the A-level, I certainly havent got Economics at GCSE or A-Level and plan on taking it up at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what Eco course you apply to. For example, Nottingham's straight economics can become a BA or a BSc depending on which options you go for. More quantitative, with more maths, and it becomes a BSc, but weaker maths students can go for other routes. Many unis offer booster maths classes for people who do economics but didn't do maths A level. I wasn't weak at GCSE maths, I just decided not to do it to A level because there are other subjects I had more of a passion for. I'm willing to work hard to grasp the maths if I'm at a slight disadvantage, and if I get 0 offers, well that's life, and I go into clearing. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Economics GCSE won't affect anything. Infact it doesn't matter what GCSEs you have, obviously Maths and English but to be honest they are just grades.
    With regards to Economics you probably won't even need the A-level, I certainly havent got Economics at GCSE or A-Level and plan on taking it up at degree level.
    I'm not sure if you need econmics a-level to take on the course at university

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    could someone please help me out here as i'm really don not quite understand what AS/AL to takes recording to this statement from bristol university.

"Economics A-level is not a requirement. General Studies A-level is never included in the terms of conditional offers. In making offers we take account of the subject mix. We are much more likely to make you an offer if you are studying Further Mathematics within the context of four recognised A-level subjects; however, we are unlikely to make you an offer if you are studying Maths, Further Maths and only one other subject, especially if that subject is a science and your GCSEs are weak in the humanities. We do not accept Economics and Business Studies as separate A-levels. "

Further Mathematics within the context of four recognised A-level subjects, what are the 4 recongnised AL subjects? Is this confusing or is it just me which is dumb and can not understand? :confused:

Thanks to everyone who gives a reply

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    could someone please help me out here as i'm really don not quite understand what AS/AL to takes recording to this statement from bristol university.

"Economics A-level is not a requirement. General Studies A-level is never included in the terms of conditional offers. In making offers we take account of the subject mix. We are much more likely to make you an offer if you are studying Further Mathematics within the context of four recognised A-level subjects; however, we are unlikely to make you an offer if you are studying Maths, Further Maths and only one other subject, especially if that subject is a science and your GCSEs are weak in the humanities. We do not accept Economics and Business Studies as separate A-levels. "

Further Mathematics within the context of four recognised A-level subjects, what are the 4 recongnised AL subjects? Is this confusing or is it just me which is dumb and can not understand? :confused:

Thanks to everyone who gives a reply
    so u could do something like.........further maths, economics/history/geog/politics/english............just not business studies together with econ.......
    i don't c whats wrong with science.....i think they'd prefer chem to physics for example though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    so u could do something like.........further maths, economics/history/geog/politics/english............just not business studies together with econ.......
    i don't c whats wrong with science.....i think they'd prefer chem to physics for example though.
    I see, so they dont want business studies with econmics together, but they dont mind the one. Science can be any chem, phys, or bio.

ReputationRep:
    I see, so they dont want business studies with econmics together, but they dont mind the one. Science can be any chem, phys, or bio.
    economics is generally regarded as a stronger subject than business studies, so if ur deciding between the 2....go for econ! science......i don't think physics or bio would be much use to be honest if u plan to do econ. i suppose u could say the same for chem, but chem is probs the best out of the 3. i do maths, chem, econ. i really enjoy all 3, except maths sometimes. u definitely dont need F.maths for economics degree. just make sure all ur subjects r strong and u get good grades!

ReputationRep:
    economics is generally regarded as a stronger subject than business studies, so if ur deciding between the 2....go for econ! science......i don't think physics or bio would be much use to be honest if u plan to do econ. i suppose u could say the same for chem, but chem is probs the best out of the 3. i do maths, chem, econ. i really enjoy all 3, except maths sometimes. u definitely dont need F.maths for economics degree. just make sure all ur subjects r strong and u get good grades!
    I wish i could choose between BS and econmics, but my sixth-form do not offer the course- econmics. Thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    I wish i could choose between BS and econmics, but my sixth-form do not offer the course- econmics. Thanks for your advice.

ah i c......in which case it would be wiser to do F.maths. good luck! if u have any more probs just ask. i'll try and help!

ReputationRep:
    ah i c......in which case it would be wiser to do F.maths. good luck! if u have any more probs just ask. i'll try and help!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Some universities won't accept business studies all together, LSE for instance.

Best A-Levels for Economics... Maths naturally, possible Further Maths. Other than that, most subjects are fine. I suppose doing Economics may be helpful as well. Remeber Economics is an essay based subject, the sciences are fine too, but doing Maths/Phy/Chem/Bio at A-Level isn't going to give you an edge over other candidates.

If I had gun pointed to my head and asked what the best 4 A-Levels for Economics were... Maths, Further maths, Economics and History.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities won't accept business studies all together, LSE for instance.

Best A-Levels for Economics... Maths naturally, possible Further Maths. Other than that, most subjects are fine. I suppose doing Economics may be helpful as well. Remeber Economics is an essay based subject, the sciences are fine too, but doing Maths/Phy/Chem/Bio at A-Level isn't going to give you an edge over other candidates.

If I had gun pointed to my head and asked what the best 4 A-Levels for Economics were... Maths, Further maths, Economics and History.
    If you're thinking of taking econmics as a postgraduate course they will not accept you if your taking business stuides, even if you sixth-form doesnt offer the course of econmics, they will still not accept you? Isnt there modern history and some other type of history too?

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking of taking econmics as a postgraduate course they will not accept you if your taking business stuides, even if you sixth-form doesnt offer the course of econmics, they will still not accept you? Isnt there modern history and some other type of history too?
    At postgrad your degree is far more important. I'm not sure how much attention they pay to A-Levels, but I'm sure its minimal.

... and you shouldn't select your A-Level just to further your chances in Econonics. Study the A-Levels yoiu are actually going to enjoy, if you have a genuine love for the subject, it will shine in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    At postgrad your degree is far more important. I'm not sure how much attention they pay to A-Levels, but I'm sure its minimal.

... and you shouldn't select your A-Level just to further your chances in Econonics. Study the A-Levels yoiu are actually going to enjoy, if you have a genuine love for the subject, it will shine in the interview.
    I see, thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Applied for Economics without maths at Oxford (as part of PPE) Bath, Southampton, Manchester and Surrey.

Rejected from Oxford, Bath for straight Economics and Economics with Politics, which I thought was slightly harsh :rolleyes:

I am predicted AAA, with AAAB at AS and 10 As+A*s at GCSE, and was told by Bath at the open day one of their main deciding factors is A Level Maths, and they don't credit candidates for taking A Level Economics. This to me seems bizzare

ReputationRep:
    I applied to do straight economics in most places without A2 Maths (although I did have AS Maths). My choices were really limited.

I got offers from all but one which was Bath.

Oxford (which was PPE admittedly) AAB
    York ABB
    Exeter ABB
    Edinburgh BBB
    St Andrews ABB

It was quite difficult because most of the really well-known unis for econ like LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol all specified Maths usually at A. But i dunno whether id've wanted to go to them anyway...

I did French, Geog, Hist, Maths and Econ ASs (dropped Hist and Maths but got As in them both. Maths was a real struggle, only did it cos of wanting to do economics - and by the sounds of it it really does play a part in degree econ) I got 10A*s for GCSE and I am predicted AAA but the economics im worried about

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.