The Student Room Group

Missed my AAB offer - now what?

Hello,

Today was results day for Cambridge International Examinations students, and unfortunately, I found out that I missed my AAB offer - I ended up getting ABC. Given the recent changes in the number of AAB+ students being admitted into unis, is it practically impossible that I may still be admitted into my firm choice?

-Daniel
Reply 1
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that!

What course and what uni is your firm? I might be able to say the likeliness of you being accepted is.
Original post by ellasmith
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that!

What course and what uni is your firm? I might be able to say the likeliness of you being accepted is.

Hey - thanks for the reply. My firm choice was the University of Birmingham for Computer Science with an industrial year. I actually gave them a call today. Thing is I had swine flu for a few weeks during exams so I actually told them about that. They asked me tol send them my doctors reports tomorrow too. I also said that I visited Birmingham and really really want to study there, so I said that if they do not admit me on to the course I originally applied for, I'd be willing to study a similar course if they can offer me that, and if not, I told them I will also call through clearing. The lady asked my name three times, so I suppose that is a good sign? Perhaps they'll be glad that I care so much and feel bad for me haha.
Reply 3
Original post by Prisonbreak94
Hey - thanks for the reply. My firm choice was the University of Birmingham for Computer Science with an industrial year. I actually gave them a call today. Thing is I had swine flu for a few weeks during exams so I actually told them about that. They asked me tol send them my doctors reports tomorrow too. I also said that I visited Birmingham and really really want to study there, so I said that if they do not admit me on to the course I originally applied for, I'd be willing to study a similar course if they can offer me that, and if not, I told them I will also call through clearing. The lady asked my name three times, so I suppose that is a good sign? Perhaps they'll be glad that I care so much and feel bad for me haha.

If you have mitigating circumstances you might be okay! They seemed to be pretty accommodating of your circumstances from the impression you're giving! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by ellasmith
If you have mitigating circumstances you might be okay! They seemed to be pretty accommodating of your circumstances from the impression you're giving! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Best of luck :smile:

I hope you are right. I actually live in Turkey and I went just to visit Birmingham individually, I absolutely fell in love with the place so missing my offer was very disappointing indeed, but I will keep trying until all hope is lost. Thank you for the replies :smile:
Reply 5
I hope you are right. I actually live in Turkey and I went just to visit Birmingham individually, I absolutely fell in love with the place so missing my offer was very disappointing indeed, but I will keep trying until all hope is lost. Thank you for the replies :smile:

Heya, guess what.. I'm going for CS at Birmingham Uni too!! :P Results are tomorrow for me though - I really doubt I'll be able to get the entry requirements because my physics exam was just shockingly bad.

I'ld just keep calling them. That's my plan tomorrow after results.

Did you go to the CS open day?
Hello,

Today was results day for Cambridge International Examinations students, and unfortunately, I found out that I missed my AAB offer - I ended up getting ABC. Given the recent changes in the number of AAB+ students being admitted into unis, is it practically impossible that I may still be admitted into my firm choice?

-Daniel

The AAB+ cap only applies to UK and EU student. If you're paying international fees then they may well be able to be more flexible with the entry requirements if they feel that you would succeed on the course and they have room to teach you.

Good luck :smile: hopefully you'll log onto Track tomorrow morning and find they've accepted you - and if not then there is always clearing and your grades are very good (even if they're not what you hoped for) so you would have other options (although I appreciate it isn't as easy to work through clearing from another country without the chance to visit places first :frown:)
Original post by Xaerion
Heya, guess what.. I'm going for CS at Birmingham Uni too!! :P Results are tomorrow for me though - I really doubt I'll be able to get the entry requirements because my physics exam was just shockingly bad.

I'ld just keep calling them. That's my plan tomorrow after results.

Did you go to the CS open day?

Hey, how were your results? Did you get in? I'm still waiting to hear from Birmingham, I gave them a few phone calls and emailed them some details (had swine flu during exams so sent them doctors reports etc) and they told me they are still considering me.. Fingers crossed!

I live abroad so I couldn't make it to the CS open day, but I made an individual visit last september.

Original post by PQ
The AAB+ cap only applies to UK and EU student. If you're paying international fees then they may well be able to be more flexible with the entry requirements if they feel that you would succeed on the course and they have room to teach you.

Good luck :smile: hopefully you'll log onto Track tomorrow morning and find they've accepted you - and if not then there is always clearing and your grades are very good (even if they're not what you hoped for) so you would have other options (although I appreciate it isn't as easy to work through clearing from another country without the chance to visit places first :frown:)

Well, the interesting thing is that I have lived abroad in Turkey most of my life and so even though I have a British passport, most unis I applied to through UCAS classified me as an overseas student. Birmingham and York however classified me as a home student, which was interesting. I do hope that they will still accept me..Waiting is nerve racking! It's 14.40 in the UK now and I am still waiting to hear from them!

Fingers crossed..
Reply 8
Hey, how were your results? Did you get in? I'm still waiting to hear from Birmingham, I gave them a few phone calls and emailed them some details (had swine flu during exams so sent them doctors reports etc) and they told me they are still considering me.. Fingers crossed!

Not the best :s I'm in the same situation as you.. I've phoned them and sent details via email - Birmingham is the only University I found to be worth the money that I'd be paying, so I'm not doing clearing and rejected my insurance offer.. - I keep hoping to see 'accepted' on my UCAS track :P
Original post by Xaerion
Not the best :s I'm in the same situation as you.. I've phoned them and sent details via email - Birmingham is the only University I found to be worth the money that I'd be paying, so I'm not doing clearing and rejected my insurance offer.. - I keep hoping to see 'accepted' on my UCAS track :P

I got rejected. It hurt :frown: It was my dream to study at Birmingham but I suppose it wasn't meant to be.. My insurance accepted me but I may ask them to release me and go into clearing. Not sure if I should go to Newcastle, York, Liverpool or Nottingham now..Any opinions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending