Do you ever get asked questions in lectures?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Do lecturers ever ask questions to people in the class?

Is anyone ever 'picked on' to answer something?
lNurl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
depends on the number of students. Usually yes, but it is not like picking on someone, it is general discussion.
But our accounting teacher picks on people who are not listening to her
x-Saffire-x
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In one of my lectures, if you come in late you have to answer a question (which has happened to me and my friends, especially coming back from a mid-lecture break). But I have been picked to answer a question quite a few times in one of my bigger lectures, which I know is rare because there are 50-odd other students there, most of whom have never been singled out
Mr. Andie McPhee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In History in the first semester, yeah. It was a small-ish number (maybe just under 30) and he'd just fire out questions to random people throughout. He was very direct like that; in tutorials he put people on the spot a lot more. I do think it was beneficial in the end though, because it actually inspired me to do the reading and work out of fear that I'd look stupid. Not that he was harsh or anything if you didn't know, but still. Even if I didn't enjoy the module much.

In the second semester we had an even smaller group in History though and the lecturer didn't ask questions during the lectures at all. He was lovely and interacted with the students directly but he was different. It depends on who takes the lecture, really.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It will depend entirely on the lecturer. Some of mine have tried to engage with students by asking questions, even in relatively large lectures. Others, though, couldn't care less and just focus on getting the lecture over and done with.
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
It will depend entirely on the lecturer. Some of mine have tried to engage with students by asking questions, even in relatively large lectures. Others, though, couldn't care less and just focus on getting the lecture over and done with.
This. We have lecturers who start on the hour, finish on the hour and talk constantly for 60 minutes. It's your job to stay awake/make legible notes. However, others do ask questions. Some open it up to the floor so anyone can answer, others do pick on students. One lecturer turned his series of lectures into big Q&A sessions. He made it very clear that those who wanted to answer questions were to sit at the front, while others sat at the back. It entirely depends on the lecturer.
heyimbored
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some do, some don't, generally speaking it's a general question to everyone and you just shout out, but I'm sure some lecturers have games they play. On the modules I have where there are less students in a lecture we get quite a few questions along the lines of 'does anyone know how .... works/happens/starts/whatever', the only time a specific person is singled out is if they answer that initial question (by choice) and the lecturer asks them to expand on it in some way (usually because he's surprised anyone knows and wants to see how much they know). Bigger lectures with 50+ people in generally have less questions, but it varies between lecturers.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends on the lecturer, how many people there are in the lecture, and whether they know your names!

One of my lecturers always picks on people, especially if they look like they are purposefully averting their eyes, as she's learnt all of our names just so she can call on anyone at any time (granted, our lectures are always pretty small). In seminars we are always expected to say something, regardless of the lecturer, even if it's just a one-word answer!

I know someone studying Maths though, who is in lectures of about 250, and he always gets picked on, because for some reason his lecturer remembers his name, and can't be bothered to ask anyone else!
Sequoia Throne
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some lecturers do and some don't, it depends on their teaching style. A couple of our lecturers would ask questions but they wouldn't pick specific people, they would ask a question and then people would shout out any answers and then perhaps go into more detail when asked for their reasons.
heyimbored
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In the case that they're not directed at you then I quite like them, they help to keep you engaged and make you think. If a question was directed at me and I didn't know then I wouldn't be so pleased
xxsinead
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have been in a lecture with 100+ people and we have been asked questions :') Although you usually have to put your hand up to ask and random people are not asked. I'd still always be listening and be prepared because in seminars and tutorials you are asked to be proactive and participate willingly and can be "picked" to answer questions.
cognito_08
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've never been asked anything in a lecture

In seminars I've had some very awkward moments:
"I'm just going to take the register... OK first on the list Aaron Aaadvark—what did you think of the book?"
*silence*
"Anything at all...?"
*silence*
"You can give me any comment about the book, anything you want."
*silence*
Vitamin D
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on the lecturer and subject. In first year Environmental Science we had a lecturer for about 2 weeks that would always ask us questions, I learned to sit at the back
Miahrose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You generally get questions thrown out there, but not really directly to anyone.

Although one of my lecturers picks on people to read extracts from poems, and a friend of mine's lecturer has a list of students enrolled and picks a few randomly to answer questions. They tick off the person if they're there so they don't get chosen again, but an arsey email gets sent if you get called and aren't there without telling the lecturer prior. I think it's just a power thing with that particular lecturer to be honest. Seems ridiculous, especially in a lecture with 100+ people :rolleyes:
thelawstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"total mind**** sir"
Solid.Snake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, some lecturers do this and i hate the ones that do!
As i constantly dread them asking me a difficult question when i know absolutely nothing. From my experience if you don't want to be questioned try to keep a low profile don't sit near the front or sides and don't wear anything conspicuous like brightly coloured clothing/accessories which can lead to you be easily identified.

As long as you make sure to keep up with the work and know your stuff you should be fine!
Compared to me who spends my time in certain lectures cowering away behind the desk hoping not to be asked anything!
username4563104
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is I possible to talk to the lecturer and discuss that I would not like to be asked questions as I suffer from anxiety and I would end up having a panic attack.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by confuseddddd)
Is I possible to talk to the lecturer and discuss that I would not like to be asked questions as I suffer from anxiety and I would end up having a panic attack.
You could send them an email (although many lecturers don't always read emails very quickly due to the vast volume that they get each day), or go to their office hour to discuss it.

Not all lecturers pick on students to answer questions, particularly if your lectures are attended by 100s of students at one time. It's more likely with lectures in smaller rooms with fewer than 50 students I'd say.
username4563104
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thanks for the reply, I just get really nervous when I comes to talking in front of a group of people
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You could send them an email (although many lecturers don't always read emails very quickly due to the vast volume that they get each day), or go to their office hour to discuss it.

Not all lecturers pick on students to answer questions, particularly if your lectures are attended by 100s of students at one time. It's more likely with lectures in smaller rooms with fewer than 50 students I'd say.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by confuseddddd)
thanks for the reply, I just get really nervous when I comes to talking in front of a group of people
It is a good skill to get used to, especially if you have any assessed presentations to do as part of your degree. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (161)
54.95%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.33%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
11.26%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
8.87%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.78%

Watched Threads