Vivid dreams when ill - can someone explain?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Secret.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I've always wondered why we get more vivid and memorable dreams when we're sick/ill

Has it got something to do with temperature? stress levels?
theodor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
melatonin and seratonin relates strongly to the immune system. and i think it is converted into DMT which is the dream hormone, as well as it's synthesised form being used as a drug i've usually heard to be a step up from LSD. so basically a hormone imbalance, you get the same effect after staying up a long time because those hormones build up. its more complicated how DMT is formed, like your brain has to be stimulated with lucid dreams as well as the increased levels of hormones, staying up i guess you overcompensate stimulation when you break through that barrier and find it hard to rest, whilst being ill i guess you have stress, pain and discomfort, and the stress levels simply of having a heightened immune system, trouble sleeping too.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get this too. I think its to do with having a fever.
Cake Faced Kid.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get this too, I always know when I'm going to be ill because I have nightmares. Not sure about the cause though, sorry
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know. I get this crazy thing when I'm really ill, it's not sleep paralysis because it never crosses my mind to try and move, but it's like I'll half wake up with my mind stuck in an infinite loop that it can't break out of.

It's so hard to put into words but it's like my mind continuously tries to compare something unimaginably tiny to something unimaginably large, and the larger that thing is the next tiny thing is even tinier, which makes the next large thing even larger than the last large thing (and so on).

That's not a perfect description, it's too hard to really describe but it's horrible. It's like a sinking feeling like the more you try to break out of it the deeper you go into it, if I ever got stuck in that state for real in the normal sober reality I'd kill myself, no question. Only happens rarely, when I'm very sick with flu or whatever.
Secret.
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
I don't know. I get this crazy thing when I'm really ill, it's not sleep paralysis because it never crosses my mind to try and move, but it's like I'll half wake up with my mind stuck in an infinite loop that it can't break out of.

It's so hard to put into words but it's like my mind continuously tries to compare something unimaginably tiny to something unimaginably large, and the larger that thing is the next tiny thing is even tinier, which makes the next large thing even larger than the last large thing (and so on).

That's not a perfect description, it's too hard to really describe but it's horrible. It's like a sinking feeling like the more you try to break out of it the deeper you go into it, if I ever got stuck in that state for real in the normal sober reality I'd kill myself, no question. Only happens rarely, when I'm very sick with flu or whatever.

OMG! This is exactly it! This happens to me when I'm ill! Literally how you described it, I couldn't put it into better words, its just this small to large feeling and it keeps getting bigger!

WTH is that?! Its weird but definitely wouldn't want to feel it while awake or sober! :P
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Secret.)
OMG! This is exactly it! This happens to me when I'm ill! Literally how you described it, I couldn't put it into better words, its just this small to large feeling and it keeps getting bigger!

WTH is that?! Its weird but definitely wouldn't want to feel it while awake or sober! :P
woh, so I'm not the only one...
Secret.
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
woh, so I'm not the only one...

Yeh its pretty weird
aimster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
@snoochtothebooch + secret

I get that too! It's horrible and I usually wake up suddenly and feeling really sick and close to crying!

Except the small and large things aren't objects, they're weird looking people and they shout, but I don't know what they're saying, they're also in front of a yellow background. Sometimes after I have this dream I wake up in the morning and my thoughts are like shouting at me like the people in my dream, it only lasts for about 1 or 2 hours after I wake up and then everything is back to normal, it's so weird and scary!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
sekibrotom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Omg I get that too! Its like your mind taunting itself, the thought starts off small and you feel like you could easily shake it off but something forces you to stay on that thought and it just gets bigger rapidly making you sink into a tingly panicked sensation of being well and truly ****ed! As if you've just completely permanently ****ed your mind, reeaally weird and it's always such a relief to snap out of it
SiminaM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe you're halucinating. I heard it sometimes happens when you're sick. Dunno... never experienced this.
Bane2k14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SiminaM)
Maybe you're halucinating. I heard it sometimes happens when you're sick. Dunno... never experienced this.

I agree it can happen mostly when ur feeling down and emotions all over the place
SiminaM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bane2k14)
I agree it can happen mostly when ur feeling down and emotions all over the place
I was rather thinking because of the fever. Or maybe the meds are funky. LOL the first one mainly.
Bane2k14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SiminaM)
I was rather thinking because of the fever. Or maybe the meds are funky. LOL the first one mainly.

In relation to what you were saying about fever lol should have outlined that thats how you generally feel when your ill my bad
Marv10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know what you mean I get this. I dream I am trying to do something that I cant actually do so I seem to panic in my dream. Im asleep but it feels like im awake still so the dream feels like its something I have to deal with.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hiya. I'm going to close this thread cos it's super old and that just gets confusing.
For the record fevers can tend to cause vivid dreams and nightmares. It's not so clear why that is exactly, but basically a high temperature messes with your brain a bit. Might be that it changes you dreams cos chemicals and stuff, might be that it makes you more able to remember them cos you keep switching in out out of different types of sleep (so you remember them as more vivid), might be a bit of both. The human body is a complicated and confusing place. If anybody is interested there's a bunch of stuff on google questioning and trying to explain it.

Anyway I'm closing this thread, but please anybody feel free to make a new one if you want to bring it up again.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads