Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if the contents of this post are not relative to this here forum, I've pasted it from another board I post on. Cheers for any help, Stu.
    ________________________________ _________________________

Morning folks (or indeed evening for myself), I've been up most of the night mulling this over and browsing various websites...

I'm off to uni this autumn after having 2 gap years working in IT, basically I want to do something different.. meet new people etc.

I've got 6 unconditional offers in front of me for the following uni's... bradford, staffs (2), loughborough, coventry and derby.

Well we can ignore bradford, coventry and derby as I just used them to fill the ucas form up :P

That leaves me with 2 choices:

1) Staffordshire uni - Network engineering - 4 year Sandwich course
    2) Loughborough uni - Computer systems engineering - 4 year Sarney as above

This is where the dilemma starts..

The course at staffs looks great, CCNA and CCNP included ... I've had a look at the course material and I'm pretty familiar with it all due to working with networks and completing a few mcp's over the last 2 years.

However Staffs uni is pretty low down in the league tables (70th ish), and overall doesn't have a great reputation... also stafford itself is a dump. Although the accomodation is pretty new, and priced well.

Another major bonus at staffs is on site parking for first year halls of residence students... which means I can take my motor

Right on to loughs...

Good points:
    - Way way way... better reputation than staffs. Rising in the league tables year by year... up as high as 13th iirc. Only 2nd to oxbridge in teaching standards.
    - great campus with loads of sports and clubs on offer etc
    - 15mins from me by train

Bad points:
    - the course looks awful, not what I was wanting at all (was subject to change :rolleyes: )... I don't want to be learning about circuits, lazers and god knows what else! It is very very vague, and I feel it fits the bill of "todays boring computer degree" perfectly.
    - no parking at all... basically I would have to sell my car. (maybe this is a good thing, another 4K capital + ~£2K less p/a running costs ....am I kidding myself thinking I can run this at staffs ? )

Not really looking for a definite answer folks, just your thoughts on the matter I guess.

I mean, is it worth stomaching a pretty shabby course (hell I might even enjoy the course, physics was always abit interesting at ALevel ) ....for a greater uni on the CV + better social life and community...

...bah, Im starting to write dribble now...

Look forward to reading your thoughts !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stubot)
    Sorry if the contents of this post are not relative to this here forum, I've pasted it from another board I post on. Cheers for any help, Stu.
    ________________________________ _________________________

Morning folks (or indeed evening for myself), I've been up most of the night mulling this over and browsing various websites...

I'm off to uni this autumn after having 2 gap years working in IT, basically I want to do something different.. meet new people etc.

I've got 6 unconditional offers in front of me for the following uni's... bradford, staffs (2), loughborough, coventry and derby.

Well we can ignore bradford, coventry and derby as I just used them to fill the ucas form up :P

That leaves me with 2 choices:

1) Staffordshire uni - Network engineering - 4 year Sandwich course
    2) Loughborough uni - Computer systems engineering - 4 year Sarney as above

This is where the dilemma starts..

The course at staffs looks great, CCNA and CCNP included ... I've had a look at the course material and I'm pretty familiar with it all due to working with networks and completing a few mcp's over the last 2 years.

However Staffs uni is pretty low down in the league tables (70th ish), and overall doesn't have a great reputation... also stafford itself is a dump. Although the accomodation is pretty new, and priced well.

Another major bonus at staffs is on site parking for first year halls of residence students... which means I can take my motor

Right on to loughs...

Good points:
    - Way way way... better reputation than staffs. Rising in the league tables year by year... up as high as 13th iirc. Only 2nd to oxbridge in teaching standards.
    - great campus with loads of sports and clubs on offer etc
    - 15mins from me by train

Bad points:
    - the course looks awful, not what I was wanting at all (was subject to change :rolleyes: )... I don't want to be learning about circuits, lazers and god knows what else! It is very very vague, and I feel it fits the bill of "todays boring computer degree" perfectly.
    - no parking at all... basically I would have to sell my car. (maybe this is a good thing, another 4K capital + ~£2K less p/a running costs ....am I kidding myself thinking I can run this at staffs ? )

Not really looking for a definite answer folks, just your thoughts on the matter I guess.

I mean, is it worth stomaching a pretty shabby course (hell I might even enjoy the course, physics was always abit interesting at ALevel ) ....for a greater uni on the CV + better social life and community...

...bah, Im starting to write dribble now...

Look forward to reading your thoughts !
    Firstly I don't think you will be able to afford to run a car- and why would you need one anyway- so take that out of the equation... i think that the most important thing is the course- you need to be happy to do it for 3-4 years, so pick the course which you think is the best. Make sure you like the uni and the accomodation before choosing it obviously, and look at the cost of the accomodation in halls and when you move out for 2nd year.Don't worry too much about the ranking- i mean none of the unis you have chosen are in the top 20 so it dones't really matter between staff and loughborough... just go with your gut feeling... and i am so glad that other people who have taken 2 gap years will be at uni- i thought i would be the only one!!!

ReputationRep:
    Go to lougborough and then leave your car at home, as it's only 15 mins away you'll be able to come home and use it and then if you can afford the running costs you'll be able to take it in your second year. I agree with ^^ though, you shouldnt let parking define your ujni choices!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    Firstly I don't think you will be able to afford to run a car- and why would you need one anyway- so take that out of the equation... i think that the most important thing is the course- you need to be happy to do it for 3-4 years, so pick the course which you think is the best. Make sure you like the uni and the accomodation before choosing it obviously, and look at the cost of the accomodation in halls and when you move out for 2nd year.Don't worry too much about the ranking- i mean none of the unis you have chosen are in the top 20 so it dones't really matter between staff and loughborough... just go with your gut feeling... and i am so glad that other people who have taken 2 gap years will be at uni- i thought i would be the only one!!!
    Last time I check loughs was top20 I'm sure ...18th or 13th ?

Anyway, cheers for your thoughts thus far

ReputationRep:
    Sell the car, and go to Loubrough, the course may actually be better in practise.

Derby isn't that bad but the reputation isn't exactly what I would called solid.

ReputationRep:
    Im more interested in your two gap year. What made you take them, did you have the offer of a cushy job, did you feel like you missed out by not going to uni straight away, and does it bother you that your gonna be at least one, more likely two years older than those around you?

ReputationRep:
    I had no interest at all in uni whilst doing my ALevels (never really crossed my mind for more than a split second) ... I always planned on getting a job in IT after bitting and bobbing part time whilst at college.

I got the IT job, which turned out to be ok... but working a 40hour week at my age and been stuck in the same old town... just made me think "live a little".

Don't get me wrong, I will do my damdest to get a 2:1 or better at uni... but I'm as much looking forward to the lifestyle change.

The 2 year age gap does bother me slightly as I've never really mixed well with immature ppl... but I look a tad young for my age so should fit in well

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you sound like a typicaly good I.T student. You seem to have the right attitude and I am sure you will get a 2:1.

I didn't want to go university either but in my second year on my AVCE as I was scoring almost top marks in everything my tutors told me it would be a waste if I didn't go to university. I am now in my second year and am fullying enjoying it. I had just turned 20 when I started university, to ber honest you will find a lot of older people there so the majority thing isn't too much of a problem.

I have actually begun to really like the university style, always having studyig to when bored etc, being able to go out weeknights, the lie ins, the late nights. I don't want it to end.

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck hope all goes well

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's doing animatronics at Staffs and he's happy there - he's in his final year of a 4 yr sandwich course and is now 25 so also a 'mature' student. I'm not sure how close his subject is to what you'd be doing but if you'd like to be put in touch with him, let me know as I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

I visited Loughborough last week and was very impressed with everything I saw. Haven't a clue on its non-arts courses though. Find out a bit more about the course and if it still doesn't sound like what you're after, go for the course rather than the uni.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.