This discussion is closed.
zug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hello. does anyone know anything about the actual pilot traing? i know a bit about cranwell but nothing about the pilot training ie how long it takes and generally whats included?
eminem_crazy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zug)
hello. does anyone know anything about the actual pilot traing? i know a bit about cranwell but nothing about the pilot training ie how long it takes and generally whats included?
theres a few different threads on it if you look through !
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i was going to do my PPL at cramfield aerodrome
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pilots go through 24 weeks of Initial Officer training, followed by 6 months worth of Elementary Flying Training. This is carried out on Grob Tutors based with University Air Squadrons and you'll collect about 60 hours. You'll do groundschool first, and learn all the basics and general handling (stalls, circuits, spins, aeros, turns) before going onto applied work such as medium and low level navigation, instrument flying, and formation flying.

At the end, you're "streamed" into either multi engine, rotary or fast jet; although this is likely to change soon with the recent defence white paper so that you cannot go ab-initio multi engine.

Rotary pilots go to RAF Shawbury to fly with the Defence Helicopter Flying School. You do a course on the single-engine Squirrel on a squadron ruin by the Army, move to 705NAS with the Navy to do advanced single engine stuff, then 60 Sqn RAF to do advanced twin engined work on the Griffin. You'll spend 2 weeks at SARTU at RAF Valley learning search and rescue techniques.

The whole lot takes up to 14 months. You get your wings then you go to an Operational Conversion Unit which takes 6 months or so to teach you how to fly your final helicopter type. Then you go to your first squadron.

Fast Jet trainees go to RAF Linton on Ouse to do a 135 hour course on the Tucano which takes between 10-12 months. It handles similar things to EFT initially before getting faster and harder, teaching you more advanced instrument flying, formation, advanced formation, low level navigation, target runs, and a pile of other things. You get your wings at the end of it. Then you go to RAF Valley to do a 60 hour conversion onto the Hawk with 208(R) Sqn before moving to 19(F) Sqn across the other side of the airfield to do weaponeering and tactics. That takes another 40 hours before you go to your OCU.

Multis guys do ME Lead In on the Firefly at Cranwell, before moving onto the Beechcraft King Air to do a course on that pre-OCU. I don't remember how long it is.

Hope this helps; email me at [email protected] for help.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads