AnimalLover5011
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi! I hope to study either Bio-Veterinary science or Animal science but I'm not sure which one would be best in order to persue a career in animal health. Plus, if i do well enough, i really want to study vet medicine/science (only if i feel that i can do it) i would love to study veterinary medicine as a first degree but i don't meet all the entry requirements but i do have plenty of work experience with animals <3

Thank-you to all!!!!!!!!!!
RosieH7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm sure both degrees would be pretty relevant so i'd advise you to look into the different courses/uni's, they can differ quite a lot so choose one you really like!

Why don't you meet the vetmed requirements?
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If year heart is set on vet med, and I assume your grades are the issue here, you'd be better off resitting A Levels to get there. If you don't have the right (or any) a levels, many unis offer foundation/pre-vet courses to guarantee you a place on vet med, if you meet their requirements (have a look at Notts, Liv, RVC). Fees are very high if you do vet med as a second degree:

(Original post by kookabura)
If you are 100% sure that you want to do vet med and it is only one grade you drop, then you might be better resitting that one exam and reapplying. It would give you a pretty empty gap year, resit in January, then have the rest of the year to travel/work/earn money/work experience etc. Plenty of people do this, and are often successful.

Basically I wouldn't say planning on the second degree route is the best option. It does 'work' as a route into vet med, but it is expensive and long, with no guarantee of getting in. I don't know how much you have looked at it, but everywhere except Nottm and RVC charge full fees for grads - so currently £18-23000 ish per year. RVC and Nottm currently charge the same as normal undergrads (so £9000 atm), but there is nothing to say how long that will stay like that and it means that they are really, really competitive for grads. Nottm take virtually no grads each year, RVC do take quite a few, but not that many compared to the number that apply, and more and more people are even redoing alevels now to be competitive, as well as their degree.
This is just so that you are aware of this situation so you don't pin your hopes on vet med as a second degree as many can't afford the fees. You cannot get a tuition fee loan for a second degree and there is limited scope to earn that amount during you studies.

There are plenty of different jobs in animal health etc. that you could possibly do with animal science / biovet. Like the persona has said above, each is very different so best to look up unis individually. Also, go to open days to get feel for the course and place. And perhaps ask (or maybe read on their prospectus) question like "what fields have previous graduates gone into with this degree?".

Good luck with choosing the right course for you
AnimalLover5011
Rep:
?
(Original post by RosieH7)
I'm sure both degrees would be pretty relevant so i'd advise you to look into the different courses/uni's, they can differ quite a lot so choose one you really like!

Why don't you meet the vetmed requirements?
I dont meet the entry requirements because i didn't get good enough grades i always study and go to extra tutoring classes but with exam nerves i do not achieve the grades i believe that i should of deserved!! However, it's one of those things that has been with me for many years and isn't going to stop me from eventually becoming a vet or going into a different career with animals!!! Thank-you for your post
AnimalLover5011
Rep:
?
(Original post by SilverstarDJ)
If year heart is set on vet med, and I assume your grades are the issue here, you'd be better off resitting A Levels to get there. If you don't have the right (or any) a levels, many unis offer foundation/pre-vet courses to guarantee you a place on vet med, if you meet their requirements (have a look at Notts, Liv, RVC). Fees are very high if you do vet med as a second degree:

This is just so that you are aware of this situation so you don't pin your hopes on vet med as a second degree as many can't afford the fees. You cannot get a tuition fee loan for a second degree and there is limited scope to earn that amount during you studies.

There are plenty of different jobs in animal health etc. that you could possibly do with animal science / biovet. Like the persona has said above, each is very different so best to look up unis individually. Also, go to open days to get feel for the course and place. And perhaps ask (or maybe read on their prospectus) question like "what fields have previous graduates gone into with this degree?".

Good luck with choosing the right course for you
Thank-you very much for this post, I hadn't really considered re-sitting a-levels! Is it possible to resit 2? I haven't looked into this option so any extra information would be very much appreciated! I have had experience helping animals in a boarding home since i was 14 so experience is something i'm not very worried about, especially with other work experiences as well!
RosieH7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep, you can resit whatever modules you want as far as I know.
Do you qualify for any 6 year vet courses?

good luck! there's loads of stories of how long it can take people, and money but i'm sure you can achieve it one way or another!
ponyvet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think it matters too much on the title of your degree as many ani sci and biovet courses have similar content. What I think is most important is that you choose a course that has a strong scientific nature and a university with a good reputation for science. A PhD will also give you the edge in a lot of places if you are to follow an animal health careeer. One of the scientists at work (very well respected animal health research establishment) told me that these are the factors they look for in job applicants.
Hope you get sorted x
SilverstarDJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AnimalLover5011)
Thank-you very much for this post, I hadn't really considered re-sitting a-levels! Is it possible to resit 2? I haven't looked into this option so any extra information would be very much appreciated! I have had experience helping animals in a boarding home since i was 14 so experience is something i'm not very worried about, especially with other work experiences as well!
Plenty of people in my sixth form college were allowed to stay on for an extra year because they didn't get the right grades, without having to pay (in England). Have you asked your college and other local ones if they could take you? Otherwise I believe there are private colleges designed for adults without Alevels where you have pay to re do your alevels but this is a cheaper route than doing a degree.

Some grad entrants have needed to re-do a levels as well as getting a 2:1 in their degree to remain competitive for the cheaper grad courses so if you want to do vet med it's easier to re-do a levels anddo it as a 1st degree.

On another note, you seem to want a job with animals, and I am not certain you want to do vet med above all the rest; there are more reasons for wanting to be a vet than a love of animals. So you many want to think about: why do I want to do vet med rather than another animal related job? Have you had work exp. at a vets practise? Can you see yourself there? Think of all the other animal related jobs you could do: vet nursing, animal behaviourist, zoo keeper, conservationist, farm stockman, working in boarding kennels/cattery/animal shelter, in a laboratory studying animal disease etc.... the list goes on! Have you thought of doing any of these jobs perhaps?
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
your quote from me confused me, since it was in a thread name I didn't remember every writing it!! i'm easily confused!!

Anyway....

From your post I'm not sure what point you are at in terms of A-levels/applying for uni etc. Firstly, you need to be 100% sure you want to be a vet - have you done any work experience? You need to make sure you have done plenty, both for yourself so that you know this is the career for you, but also the uni's will expect several weeks of work experience at least.

If vet med is what you want to do, then you need to try everything you can to get in first time round. Doing another degree first, as other people have said, really isn't a good way of planning on doing it. It will be min of 7 years at uni plus a min of £63,000 tuition fees (assuming fees of £9000, when in reality they are likely to increase, and also that you get into Nottm or RVC as a grad).

So...as people have said, first I would look at what you can do to get in first time round. And only if all that fails start going down the grad route. In terms of what degree to do for that - it really doesn't matter from the getting into vet med point of view - animal sci or biovet sci would be equally good. Instead look in more detail at the course for each uni you are looking at and see what they actually cover and offer on the course, and see which appeals to you more.
SilverstarDJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kookabura)
your quote from me confused me, since it was in a thread name I didn't remember every writing it!! i'm easily confused!!
Sorry about confusing you! you just summed up a good point in that other thread that I felt it easier to just C&P here :P
AnimalLover5011
Rep:
?
Plenty of people in my sixth form college were allowed to stay on for an extra year because they didn't get the right grades, without having to pay (in England). Have you asked your college and other local ones if they could take you? Otherwise I believe there are private colleges designed for adults without Alevels where you have pay to re do your alevels but this is a cheaper route than doing a degree.

Some grad entrants have needed to re-do a levels as well as getting a 2:1 in their degree to remain competitive for the cheaper grad courses so if you want to do vet med it's easier to re-do a levels anddo it as a 1st degree.

On another note, you seem to want a job with animals, and I am not certain you want to do vet med above all the rest; there are more reasons for wanting to be a vet than a love of animals. So you many want to think about: why do I want to do vet med rather than another animal related job? Have you had work exp. at a vets practise? Can you see yourself there? Think of all the other animal related jobs you could do: vet nursing, animal behaviourist, zoo keeper, conservationist, farm stockman, working in boarding kennels/cattery/animal shelter, in a laboratory studying animal disease etc.... the list goes on! Have you thought of doing any of these jobs perhaps?
I understand what you are saying- there is more to being a Vet than just wanting to help animals! However, I really enjoy science (biology in particular), i have had an interest in medicine for a while and have a thorough admiration for animals! I like the idea of working in a lab studying animal disease but i am worried that it would be difficult getting a job and whether the pay would be suitable (enough to afford to keep 2 horses). What course would I have to study for this job? Apologies for the continuous questions...
SilverstarDJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I like the idea of working in a lab studying animal disease but i am worried that it would be difficult getting a job and whether the pay would be suitable (enough to afford to keep 2 horses). What course would I have to study for this job? Apologies for the continuous questions...
I can't quite answer your questions fully as I've not looked into this thoroughly but would advise you to look online for job offers in lab work - that'll give you an idea about how much of a salary you could get when you first start off and also later when you perhaps could pursue managerial roles in labs / senior positions. You could also see how many jobs are available. Also, on animal science etc. the uni stats site / the official university's website can offer you a % of students that find jobs (I think in 6months?) of graduating. For vets from Liverpool I think this is 95-ish% but you could look that up for other courses too.

Glad you have other reasons for being a vet - all seem pretty valid.

Another thing to mention, although I can't comment from personal experience, I do know that being a vet is really demanding in all sorts of way, and not to mention the unsociable and probably long hours. You will be often exhausted, especially when you first start out and its a steep learning curve.It is worth noting it may be quite difficult to spend a enough time with both horses even if you can afford to keep them and tend to their basic needs. I do know vets who own horses, so it is not impossible by any means, but it is worth bearing in mind the demands you might encounter in what sometimes can be a draining and stressful job at times!
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry about confusing you! you just summed up a good point in that other thread that I felt it easier to just C&P here :P
haha...it's fine! i've copied and pasted comments around threads before. saves keep repeating the same thing!
JLouise1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi, i was wondering what i need to get at AS to apply for uni doing bioveterinary.. is CCC in biology chemistry psychology good enough?
Thanks x
AnimalLover5011
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=JLouise1994;39045146]Hi, i was wondering what i need to get at AS to apply for uni doing bioveterinary.. is CCC in biology chemistry psychology good enough?
Thanks x[/QUOTE

Send enquiries out to universities that do this course then see what their answer is. You could be in with a higher chance of getting onto this course with animal experience (lab work/kennels/vet clinics/etc) !
Good Luck :-)
caitlyn04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi! I hope to study either Bio-Veterinary science or Animal science but I'm not sure which one would be best in order to persue a career in animal health. Plus, if i do well enough, i really want to study vet medicine/science (only if i feel that i can do it) i would love to study veterinary medicine as a first degree but i don't meet all the entry requirements but i do have plenty of work experience with animals <3

Thank-you to all!!!!!!!!!!
same here i didnt get on to a levels so now im doing a btec applied science and a level psychology before doing animal or bioveterinary science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (56)
28.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.69%
No I am happy with my choice (108)
55.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads