The Student Room Group

Guys would you ever date a disabled girl?

Thought I would return the favour and create a similar thread and answer this create the question for this girls.

So would you date a disabled girl in a wheelchair, with one arm, one leg, no limbs. Or even someone who has a disability meaning she is infertile and can't get pregnant.

Be honest guys and answer if you would consider starting a long term relationship with such a girl. Or if that happened to your gf would you still be there for her or would you leave her for someone who is good looking and is slimmer/weighs less?

It's not just girls who are supposedly shallow. I've read plenty of threads on tsr about guys leaving their girls or leaving their casual partners because they've had some weight gain or aren't skinny anymore.

Answer honestly guys.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep.

The scenario you raised that bothers me least of all is the infertility. A few years ago, doctors suspected that I might be infertile (long story - Turns out i'm not, woo) so had to go through a bit of time with that idea over my head. I know this situation will probably be the one that would be most offputting to another person (and obviously so, having your own child is a big deal) but to me, it's not that much of a big deal. It's a massive shame, of course it is, but at the end of the day there are over things that can be done (i.e adoption) so that you can have a family.

Not to make jokes, either, but the chances are if my girlfriend lost her limbs, she'd weigh less than other people i'd meet!
Original post by sotrulybeautiful
It's not just girls who are supposedly shallow. I've read plenty of threads on tsr about guys leaving their girls or leaving their casual partners because they've had some weight gain or aren't skinny anymore.

Answer honestly guys.

There a big difference between someone gaining weight and someone losing a arm. Gaining weight suggest laziness or disregard to health.
Reply 3
Depends. Being disable itself isn't at all a problem, but there are certain disabilities where I don't think I could cope with the cosequences of the disability. Being unable to walk, infertile aren't issues since you can live a normal life and cope with them (especially since I don't want children) but there are more serious disabilities which I think would put me off because being in a relationship with that person would be a life changing commitment.
No. I'm sorry, I couldn't. Yes I know I'm a selfish, horrible person - but at least I'm being honest, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of the replies you'll receive in this thread.
Reply 5
No. And If I were disabled I'd honestly expect the same.
I dated a girl for a year who had to wear a hearing aid in both ears for the rest of her life. Was a good relationship until I was threatened to be killed by her father and apparently her family were involved in gang and gun crime in the area :/
Reply 7
No I wouldn't. I would expect the same if I was badly disabled as well.

It doesn't make anyone a horrible person for not wanting to date someone who was badly disabled.
Reply 8
Perhaps if I'd already had extensive dating experience, although I'm looking for an active adventurous girlfriend so a wheelchair user might not fit in with what I want from a relationship. Although I think having one arm or something would really not make much if any difference whatsoever if the girl was pretty.

I was on POF once and a girl sent me a message, we sort of arranged a date and she said right at the last moment, "By the way, I broke my back in a skiing accident and I'm wheelchair bound, I hope this doesn't change things". I had visions of her being wheeled into a café by a helper, who'd sit watching us from the other side of the room. I'm so glad it turned out to just be a mate of mine dicking around.
(edited 11 years ago)
Depends what type tbh. If she was infertile for example then heck yeah :smile:
Original post by spiral87
Perhaps if I'd already had extensive dating experience, although I'm looking for an active adventurous girlfriend so a wheelchair user might not fit in with what I want from a relationship. Although I think having one arm or something would really not make much if any difference whatsoever if the girl was pretty.

I was on POF once and a girl sent me a message, we sort of arranged a date and she said right at the last moment, "By the way, I broke my back in a skiing accident and I'm wheelchair bound, I hope this doesn't change things". I had visions of her being wheeled into a café by a helper, who'd sit watching us from the other side of the room. I'm so glad it turned out to just be a mate of mine dicking around.

Congratulations on your...success?

To OP, no I don't think it would work.
Reply 11
Original post by sotrulybeautiful
Or if that happened to your gf would you still be there for her or would you leave her for someone who is good looking and is slimmer/weighs less?

I'd date a woman with a disability, though it would have to depend on how she is disabled and the extent of it - I don't want to be somone's carer (what a git!). Not too fussed about missing limbs, or being blind or deaf. Being in a wheelchair wouldn't be a big deal, as long she's pretty much independent. My criteria for women is that we have a similar world view, can have fun/enjoy each other's company, and have good sexual chemistry. A disabled woman can hit these marks as easy as a woman with no disabilities.

I don't consider infertility a disability, but I'd have no problem marrying a woman that can't have kids.

Regardless of what ails her, if I loved her, I wouldn't leave her for someone who is better looking. Just because a woman is "good looking" it doesn't make her attractive.
Original post by jeery83
I'd date a woman with a disability, though it would have to depend on how she is disabled and the extent of it - I don't want to be somone's carer (what a git!). Not too fussed about missing limbs, or being blind or deaf. Being in a wheelchair wouldn't be a big deal, as long she's pretty much independent. My criteria for women is that we have a similar world view, can have fun/enjoy each other's company, and have good sexual chemistry. A disabled woman can hit these marks as easy as a woman with no disabilities.

I don't consider infertility a disability, but I'd have no problem marrying a woman that can't have kids.

Regardless of what ails her, if I loved her, I wouldn't leave her for someone who is better looking. Just because a woman is "good looking" it doesn't make her attractive.

What if she lost all her limbs in a nuclear reaction? What if she was blind?
http://www.girlsaskguys.com/Relationships-Questions/533027-would-you-stay-with-your-girlfriend-she-went.html
what if she had cancer?
Original post by indianaussie
What if she lost all her limbs in a nuclear reaction?

Wat
Reply 14
Unfortunately I doubt I could.
Original post by Aisha~~
Wat

like chernobyl or something. idk lol some scenario where all 4 limbs were lost. maybe an explosion.
Reply 16
What if she lost all her limbs in a nuclear reaction?

Do you know what a nuclear reaction is?

What if she was blind?

As I said previousy - not a problem.

what if she had cancer?

Cancer isn't a disability.
Reply 17
If she was infertile it would mean I wouldn't have to wear a condom so they'd be top of the list.

Only joking. Don't ban me from this thread mods pls.

In all seriousness, yeah I probably would. It depends what kind of disability they had.
Reply 18
Depends on the disability... I could handle a girl whose infertile or perhaps in a wheelchair but some things you mentioned would be too much. I don't want to be my g/fs carer for the rest of my life.
Original post by ToastyCoke
No. I'm sorry, I couldn't. Yes I know I'm a selfish, horrible person - but at least I'm being honest, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of the replies you'll receive in this thread.

This

Quick Reply

Latest