Colpermin/Apercap question (IBS) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have IBS and I was given a prescription for Colpermin peppermint capsules. The box only had 40 or so, and at 3 a day they go quite quickly.

I asked the pharmacist if I need a repeat prescription, and I was told that I don't. But they did not have Colpermin in, so offered Apercap instead. I was told that they'd be identical in how they work. The box has 80 in them, and I was given them for the same price, so I thought it would just be a great deal for me.

I noticed that the tablets are far smaller and they seem to be breaking down far too early in my digestive system... I get minty smelling burps and my faeces smell like mint/menthol too. It is uncomfortable.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same response to Apercap? The Colpermin is fine, and I'm going back soon for a checkup... But I might have to fork out and find some more Colpermin instead. They were incredibly effective, but the Apercap is barely working for me.

Thanks.
PINKRIZZO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have IBS and I was given a prescription for Colpermin peppermint capsules. The box only had 40 or so, and at 3 a day they go quite quickly.

I asked the pharmacist if I need a repeat prescription, and I was told that I don't. But they did not have Colpermin in, so offered Apercap instead. I was told that they'd be identical in how they work. The box has 80 in them, and I was given them for the same price, so I thought it would just be a great deal for me.

I noticed that the tablets are far smaller and they seem to be breaking down far too early in my digestive system... I get minty smelling burps and my faeces smell like mint/menthol too. It is uncomfortable.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same response to Apercap? The Colpermin is fine, and I'm going back soon for a checkup... But I might have to fork out and find some more Colpermin instead. They were incredibly effective, but the Apercap is barely working for me.

Thanks.
Hi,have been on both for IBS symptoms,they are basically the same thing different name-the Apercap have to be swallowed right down ,else chronic heartburn ensues,plenty of fluid,which wont stop the burps and bottom burps,or the odour( actually I quite like the results ) but each to their own -try the extra fluid and see how you go !! x
leanne1975
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've had exactly the same problem. I suffer terrible lower back pain and pain in my hip with my ibs , but within two days of taking the colperin I was pain free and had the best month in 9 months comfort wise, but when I went for a repeat prescription I too was given apercap. All my pain full symptoms are back and I've been on them just over a week and still no difference. I'm going on holidays so il go and buy some colperin. Leanne
Smellyfeety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have also been on apercap and these also burst in my stomach. I believe these are a cheap alternative. I never had colpermin popping and burning my stomach. Everytime I take apercap I get minty burps and burning in my gullet! Rubbish alternative in my opinion!
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks.
I have apercap with no issues so I can't help there, but you can get loads of different types of peppermint tablet and don't need a prescription (for most people prescription will actually make it more expensive). You can get them from pharmacies, tescos, holland and barret, amazon etc etc. Just try a few types until you find one that works well. It's just peppermint so they are all basically the same, just with different casings and possibly different quantities so it's not like you're switching between paracetamol and ibuprofen or other painkillers. You may like to mention this reaction to a pharmacist or the next time you see your doctor to see what they say, but judging by what others have said it's pretty common and doesn't say so much about you and is more to do with the tablets.

Also, depending on how your IBS is this may help. My doctor gave me a prescription for taking them 4 times a day, but since my IBS is only really an issues when I have an episode and that is less than 4 times a day I just take one when I am having an episode or expect one might be triggered. It works fine doing that for me and saves on a bunch of tablets. Depends on how yours presents though and may not work as well for you, just might be worth considering.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads