The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bord3r
Looks like I'm going to be applying here, wooo :cool:

Their website seems to suggest they like ECs, can anyone shed any more light on this. I might email them and ask.

I think you can probably take this to mean they want their students to be well rounded. Things like sports teams, playing music etc will put you at an advantage. I think they also want to see that you'll have interests whilst you're hear at uni.

I personally am into musical theatre - cool, I know - rehearsals start on Sunday for our annual show!
subscribed :colone:
Reply 42
Original post by My-My-My
I think you can probably take this to mean they want their students to be well rounded. Things like sports teams, playing music etc will put you at an advantage. I think they also want to see that you'll have interests whilst you're hear at uni.

I personally am into musical theatre - cool, I know - rehearsals start on Sunday for our annual show!

Would st.johns ambulance count as an extra-curricular activity?
Reply 43
Original post by AtomicMan

It's more volunteering in my opinion, especially if you can talk about it from a medical perspective such as how you deal with all different types of people e.t.c.

By the way, St John Ambulance is a really great thing to be involved in, I for one love it. You get to meet so many new people and get hands on medical experiences.
Reply 44

The first aid course would be extra curricular, and the volunteering is, well, volunteering. Both are good to have in your PS, and will make you look good to admissions teams.
Reply 45
Hi My-My-My I was just wondering about how you have found the medicine course at Birmingham? I have heard from a few people that the course is taught far more 'intensely' than elsewhere with an unrealistic amount of work to do and hours and hours of lectures, have you experienced this?

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Original post by CharL2424
Hi My-My-My I was just wondering about how you have found the medicine course at Birmingham? I have heard from a few people that the course is taught far more 'intensely' than elsewhere with an unrealistic amount of work to do and hours and hours of lectures, have you experienced this?

I've heard this as well, and I've also heard that B'ham medical students do a lot more exams than other medical schools... :confused:
Reply 47
Original post by SaintSoldier
I've heard this as well, and I've also heard that B'ham medical students do a lot more exams than other medical schools... :confused:

Oh please no. :frown:
Reply 48

Thanks for your help! :smile:

The course is intense, and we do have a lot of lectures. You're expected to read up on stuff you don't understand, prepare for tutorials and anatomy sessions, but what do you expect?? This is medicine, and it's tough, no matter what university you go to. You work your arse off for 5 years but it ain't half worth it!

Original post by SaintSoldier

We have exams twice in the year - Jan and May/June. In your 1st and 2nd year these are mainly written papers. Some short answer (1-10 marks per questions) and others are multiple choice. You have a multiple choice and short answer per module - 12 modules a year. Some modules are combined so you have 1 exam which covers 3 topics. There are other forms of assessment throughout the year including a few essays and presentations, but these tend to be worth less than the main exams.

Original post by Bord3r
Oh please no. :frown:

You want to be a doctor. You're going to have to do exams. I know they're really horrid, but you have to assessed one way or another and they'll continue after medical school, so I'm afraid it's going to be a case of getting on with it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49

You want to be a doctor. You're going to have to do exams. I know they're really horrid, but you have to assessed one way or another and they'll continue after medical school, so I'm afraid it's going to be a case of getting on with it!

True, it's that the thought of doing loads just reminds me of the stresses of exam season.
Reply 50
Original post by Bord3r
True, it's that the thought of doing loads just reminds me of the stresses of exam season.

You've gotten through your GCSEs and AS levels now, so you can do it! You juts have to look after yourself and work well and make sure you take plenty of breaks.
Reply 51
Absolutely, I am more than willing to work as hard as possible and I understand how intensive and how much dedication is required. I am just aware that I often over think how much work I have to do and end up spending far longer on things than necessary, I was just wondering if I'd be more likely to spend 5 years in complete stress lockdown at Birmingham.

Do you know of friends at other medical schools? If they are all the same workload that is fantastic I just don't want to go to a medical school which will be even more stressful than others?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks again for all your help!
Reply 52
You've gotten through your GCSEs and AS levels now, so you can do it! You juts have to look after yourself and work well and make sure you take plenty of breaks.

Yeah, it's more exam day stress than anything else, but this year I'm going to make an effort to get on top of it and manage it better. :smile:
Reply 53
Absolutely, I am more than willing to work as hard as possible and I understand how intensive and how much dedication is required. I am just aware that I often over think how much work I have to do and end up spending far longer on things than necessary, I was just wondering if I'd be more likely to spend 5 years in complete stress lockdown at Birmingham.

You won't experience this. You'll have the best 5 years of your life (the advantage of being a med student, you get an extra 2!). Birmingham is set up really well with the social side of things, a huge amount of clubs, sports, socials etc. so when apart from the few weeks before exams you should have a very well balanced lifestyle.

Do you know of friends at other medical schools? If they are all the same workload that is fantastic I just don't want to go to a medical school which will be even more stressful than others?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks again for all your help!

I have friends at Nottingham and Cambridge. They have both enjoyed their courses so far. Of course, they are both working very hard too! My friend at Cambridge is now moving to London for her clinical years which I think she's looking forward to it as she found the atmosphere in Cambridge very intense.
Reply 54
Ahh fantastic, yes that makes complete sense and has put my mind to rest!
Just out of interest what were your other uni choices and was Birmingham your favourite?

Thanks again!
Reply 55
Ahh fantastic, yes that makes complete sense and has put my mind to rest!
Just out of interest what were your other uni choices and was Birmingham your favourite?

Thanks again!

I applied to Cardiff, Leicester, KCL and Birmingham. I got interviews and offers from Cardiff and Leicester (rejected w/o interview form King's) but chose Birmingham with no hesitation. It had been my top choice from the moment I left the open day. It wasn't too far from home (like Cardiff) and it was bigger city than Leicester, and it just felt right. My only regret is that I didn't apply to or consider either Leeds or Sheffield. Both of these are significantly closer to home and have integrated course structure (I didn't want PBL or traditional), and since coming to uni I've found I get quite homesick, but I wasn't to know this at the time I was applying.
Reply 56
Ahh wonderful, that sounds great. Yeah that seems to be quite a common thing that many people doing medicine advise to be nearer home so you can pop home easily.

As you were looking at Birmingham would you say their course was integrated as opposed to traditional?

And also, what is a standard day like in year 1 and 2? With regards how many hours are spent in lectures/small group teachings?
Reply 57
How would you say prosection is at birmingham?
Dont know if there already is one, but if there is feel free to delete this one. Anyone else applying to birmingham? I probably will :biggrin: Love the campus, the course and the city looks nice. Not too far from london too!

I hear this year they have (finally) removed the GCSE cut off :tongue: They are also introducing MMI interviews for us applicants :redface:

do you have proof of this?
Reply 59
Original post by Stiffmeister
do you have proof of this?

Proof of what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending