The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hmmm a general answer as nobody else has replied yet!
i thought pretty much everywhere had GBR and BPS approval, otherwise they're wouldn't be much point in offering the course as nobody would want to do it! i think most of the courses are similar though in content as you do need to cover the basic areas for BPS so only have differing options in 3rd year really, when its based on the research interests of the lecturers?!
the way in which they teach it could also be different - you might want to consider the number of hours a week, the tutorials, how you're assessed - whether its exams or essays as to how "heavy" it is (i suspect this won't differ vastly between most reputable unis though!)
some courses are however biased towards certain aspects of psychology though due to the lecturers in the depts e.g. bristol is experimental, york cognitive etc so perhaps thats what your teacher is referring to?
look through the topics on the course, go round the dept and take a look at Keele and if you like it then don't let her (or him!) put you off since I doubt there is much difference between courses (cept perhaps the enuthiasm of the lecturers, who can either make it fun or deadly deadly boring(!) something which you probably won't know til you get there!)
Reply 2
Cheers Sarah.

Know what you mean about GBR but at Sheff Hallam u had to do extra year to get it!

Keele seems to be more restricted cos you have to do dual honours AND you have to pass your final dissertation to get GBR. So not a lot of choice , mainly methodologies and the usual! Northampton,( my insurance ) which my teacher was comparing it with, has much more choice cos I would do Psych as major and MARKETING as minor . But I think Keeles the better uni and I did like it, liked N'ton too tho!! I've ruled out Cov, Wolves , Staffs and Derby. So its down to these 2!! I wanna stay an hour from home so choice was limited. Knew I wouldn't get the grades for B'ham or Aston. Hopin to get BB.

Jon
Reply 3
The dissertation thing would be the same at every uni. I know at Durham, where I'm at, if you fail a module twice you can still finish the degree but you end up with an ordinary degree not Hons and not BPS accredited - dissertation's are usually double modules so makes sense that you'd loose GSR.

As for only offering it as a joint honours, seems a bit unusual! when i looked round, most unis allowed you the option to take some modules in another area with the majority being in psychology (durham only offers 4 modules of psych so i'm doing all of those and 2 from different depts - its only 1 module more of psych than you'd get at Keele, northhampton would probably be similar with the minoring in marketing)

maybe if you look on the Keele part of the website you might have more luck finding a psychologist who could tell you specifically about the course? least you have it narrowed down to two!!

good luck with your decision and exams!
Reply 4
Keele only offers Dual honours apart from a couple they offer as single. They're famous for it apparantly!! One of the only dual honours courses that gives GBR. There is compulsory Complementary Sudies in the first year where you can take Applied Psych and a couple of other modules. Thats probably the way to go.

Latest