Turn on thread page Beta

Universities with the an 'old boys network' system watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm considering going to the University of Edinburgh this Septmeber. I was wondering if graduates of the University of Edinburgh benefit from an 'old boys network' system which Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol and Durham graduates seem to?

ReputationRep:
    An old boys network is not a tangible thing that you can say one university has and another doesn't.

Its about who you know full stop. Whether thats at school college or university is irrelevant. 10 years down the line if you get a job, contract etc. over someone else because you know somebody involved in the decision making process, then you will have benfitted from the so called "old boys network".

It is only generally refered to regarding public schools or good unis because it is wrongly assumed that only people from these establishments will be in the position to do somebody they know a favour like this. That for example all cambridge graduates will go into high paid jobs and form some sort of mutually beneficial network running across the country, an old boys network. The reality is that you can benefit from such a network wherever you study.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, anymore comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winifred)
    Thanks, anymore comments?
    St Andrews probably more than Edinburgh.

(Original post by Winifred)
    Hi, I'm considering going to the University of Edinburgh this Septmeber. I was wondering if graduates of the University of Edinburgh benefit from an 'old boys network' system which Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol and Durham graduates seem to?
    in reality this is rarely exists any more and mostly in a few outdated companies who favour oxbridge candidates, you wont find it anywhere else to the level you may be expecting.

if you are lucky you may happen to make a few contacts towards your chosen career path but the reality is that even in the third year most people will still have little idea what they want to do and so will neglect networking oppotunities

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.