The Student Room Group

No contract - handing in notice?

Anyone know the protocol for this? I've been working at a small family business since the start of July and it's unbearable. I've told them today I'm leaving as I have a new job, but she's insisting I have to work out a weeks notice.

I never signed a contract nor have I ever seen one, nobody else there has one and it seems everyone else before me who's quit has just left (and there have been a lot) no notice given.

As I have no contract, do I have to work the notice out? My dad says to just leave but I don't want a terrible reference and awkward questions at interviews for 'proper' jobs in a few months. Will a two month gap on my cv (between uni job and home) look awful?

If there's nothing I can do... When did my notice start? Would I have to work next Thursday for example?

Sorry for all the questions, I was just so excited to quit today only to find I have to go back :frown:
Reply 1
The legal answer is you have to work a week's notice;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Resigningorretiring/DG_175837

The realistic answer is that they are highly unlikely to take you to court over it. However, if they want you to work the notice and you refuse then they'll probably give you a bad reference.

Your call.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending