The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

So you're a fresher who doesn't enjoy excessive drinking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by supersajjad
I don't drink either, I'm sure there will be plenty of other things to do, not to mention we get to view all the crazy societies that are on offer during the week :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yess i look forward to that :smile: and also
http://www.qmsu.org/events/whatsgoingon/
only just spotted this dont know how i missed it
cookout anyone? comedy night etc lol found some stuff.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Daniellejo.
What medication are you on?
I was told by one doctor that I wasn't to drink at all (although I still did :s-smilie:), and then my next doctor told me about a year later that I could, it just made the medicine less effective. Meh, mixed messages.

Lamatrogine (I think) though I should be coming off the medication because I haven't had anything wrong in the last year. But still hate the taste of alcohol.
I don't like drinking much either. And my place at QMUL has been confirmed yesterday :yep:

Thing is, I do like to drink occasionally - maybe the odd Bailey's :gah:
every now and again - but not really every day or even every week. I'm glad I'm not alone :smile:
Reply 23
cool I'm in this club. but yea still looking forward to freshers' week, even minus some/most of the events :]
Reply 24
Don't drink for religious reasons and I'm not really one for clubs. Almost everything at freshers seems to be club/alcohol related :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Original post by Andy_J
I think the same way, I like a drink but I know my limits and slow down once I start getting tipsy. I have never been comatose drunk and I dont plan on being, it just seems like a way to ruin a perfectly good night.

I'm not going to Queen Mary's, but I'm exactly the same.
I'll drink a bit during freshers' week, but I definitely don't fancy getting drunk, passing out or throwing up and then having a hangover the next day... =/ I'd rather just have a few and actually enjoy (and remember!) my evening. Hopefully there'll be others like me and I won't be the only one. xD
Reply 26
Original post by h-94
yess i look forward to that :smile: and also
http://www.qmsu.org/events/whatsgoingon/
only just spotted this dont know how i missed it
cookout anyone? comedy night etc lol found some stuff.

Oh. My. God.

BBQ! :biggrin:

Edit: Am totally ruled by my stomach if you can't tell haha
Original post by Rlh1994
Anyone else in this club?
I'm kind of worried because I don't actually drink at all (I'm not boring, I'm a bit crazy anyway and I just don't like drinking) and so have never really bothered, I might drink some during freshers but probably not; and whilst I can go clubbing and partying it isn't my favourite passtime so I'm a little worried about freshers week going and me not really being involved/not having a good time.

Anyone else like this?

You'll be weaned onto it.
I think most of it is overhyped. Its not like 9/10s of students get so pissed they cant stand up (just some make out its like that because they think its somehow cool). Theyres probs a lot of tipsey people and the like but nothing that would make a sober person feel uncomfortable.
Reply 29
I like a drink but have to know my limits. Ever since I first got so drunk that I literally had to go to hospital and was vomiting for 2 days I've had to be careful - which could be perceived as being boring. Have a drink, have fun, but know your limits is what I would advise to many! I've a feeling that the degree to which alcohol consumption affects your social life will depend on where you go anyway. Still, if you don't want to get hammered you will find some like minded people, although some of them will be bores be warned.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't drink at all ,this is gna be fun ..
Reply 31
Original post by humy369
Don't drink for religious reasons and I'm not really one for clubs. Almost everything at freshers seems to be club/alcohol related :s-smilie:

Join the club lol, don't know what we're supposed to then, i dont even think that there is a point me turning up lol
Reply 32
I am exactly the same , it's not that I hate alcohol, it is more the fact that I don't want to wake up in the morning feeling awful! I am also a pretty bad lightweight, one glass of a weak wine and I have a headache and the room is spinning ( I think it is because I am so skinny). I am glad there are other people who don't mind one or two drinks but don't necessarily want to get drunk! I get a bit worried as once I heard a girl in my class moan about her friend because she didn't want to get drunk, and was thinking, great is everybody going to think the same about me?
that's ok... I'm sure you'll be able to get some E from somewhere...
Reply 34
I'm fairly into partying, but I REALLY don't think I'd be up for clubbing every single day of the week. Even had to cancel something this evening as going out last night and drinking again tonight would have been too much for me. I don't want to waste my time there but I just want to keep it to an enjoyable, moderate amount.
Ah well, hopefully we will both find some like-minded people soon OP. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Rlh1994
Anyone else in this club?
I'm kind of worried because I don't actually drink at all (I'm not boring, I'm a bit crazy anyway and I just don't like drinking) and so have never really bothered, I might drink some during freshers but probably not; and whilst I can go clubbing and partying it isn't my favourite passtime so I'm a little worried about freshers week going and me not really being involved/not having a good time.

Anyone else like this?

Don't worry at all! You won't be the only one and as clichéd as it sounds you don't need to drink to have fun! I don't really drink, have never been drunk, and had an amazing time at uni, also never felt left out or pressured into drinking. There will be so much going on during fresher's week and you'll probably be able to enjoy it all more because you won't spend every morning recovering from a hangover! Good luck at uni and enjoy every minute :smile:
Reply 36
Really don't worry about being pressured into drinking and things! One, QMUL had a lot of students who don't drink for religious reasons, so you will not be alone at all. Two, it isn't really like many of the other environments some of my friends have been in at other universities (Down it fresher, spillage is lickage, all that rubbish). This might be because alcohol is more expensive in London, I'm not sure - but it seems a lot more relaxed. A lot of people I know drink and use drugs, but it's absolutely not a prerequisite for having fun in Freshers' week, and no one will judge you for it (and if they do, they're clearly not worth wasting time on). God, I sound like my mum. However, she does have a point! You'll find plenty to do in Freshers as long as you look. You'll certainly save some money by not drinking, and be able to put that to good use seeing what London has to offer. Definitely check out the societies, some of them I know have non-alcohol socials and things. Have fun everyone!
Reply 37
Original post by Lisacreature
I have to have medication for my epilepsy, which means no alcohol, I also hate the taste of alcohol (either too bitter or too sweet), the only stuff I can drink is Sangria but I doubt they will have that.

It annoys me though because I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't drink excessively.

Same about the Sangria, love the stuff but not keen on much else so I probably won't be drinking much during fresher's. :P
Reply 38
I didn't think I was a drinker before I went to university but it turns out I am. My story is going to apply to at least some of you :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by humy369

If your Muslim you'll be fine, we have a large amount at QMUL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending