The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shazz_alm
So ive got these results i am applying for engineering(I am an international student)
GCSE: 3A*, 2As
AS: B(1% off an A:mad:!)

Is it impossible to get into cambridge with a B? I also don't think they're ONLY looking for good grades, (albert einstein and hawking were average and they got in) I am passionate about what I study and I am also an applied math tutor for failing students in my school and my teacher reference WILL be strong so should I give it a go or just apply somewhere else? And also, if I tell them I'll resit will that raise my chances of getting in? Please don't sugarcoat the truth just tell me

The key thing about Cambridge is that in your top 3 AS-levels (for humanities), or most relevant AS-levels (for sciences), you need to get an average of ~90% or more. As they take the 3 most relevant, this might include the B. To be honest, more information regarding your other percentages is needed to see if you would be a competitive applicant
That's the only AS subject offered at my school, but is it crucial that I have 3 when I apply? Don't remember reading that anywhere on the website..

Yes, you typically need four to apply, unless there are significant extenuating circumstances, you would be rejected with only one AS level at B. This would be the same for pretty much most of the other top 100 UK unis :confused:, most places will want 3 A-levels and an additional AS-level, and you would struggle to even get into points unis with those grades, sorry :frown:
No British University will make you an Offer for a degree with only one A level.

Do your research. If you look on 'Admissions requirements' you will see 3 grades (ie. AAB) - that is THREE A levels minimum.
What?
Original post by NedStark
What other qualification did you do? And what year are you in?

going to senior year this september, but i am doing 4 A levels in june 2014.. Isn't that the same as most UK applicants, doing A levels in senior year? Like maths a levels needs 2 years to finish but phys,chem,and computer science needs only one
Original post by smile:D
Yes, you typically need four to apply, unless there are significant extenuating circumstances, you would be rejected with only one AS level at B. This would be the same for pretty much most of the other top 100 UK unis :confused:, most places will want 3 A-levels and an additional AS-level, and you would struggle to even get into points unis with those grades, sorry :frown:

but my friend (1 yr older than me) got accepted into queen mary and southampton without even doing any A level or GCSE :s-smilie: she applied for foundation year i think, does cambridge have a foundation year?
don't think anyone understands me here. In june 2014 Im doing: A2 Maths, A level Physics, A level Chemistry and A level Computer Science. So I AM going to have completed 4 A levels by the time I start uni!
but my friend (1 yr older than me) got accepted into queen mary and southampton without even doing any A level or GCSE :s-smilie: she applied for foundation year i think, does cambridge have a foundation year?

lol, no.
You can stop answering now I've made up my mind i won't apply

Yep, that would be a foundation year- Cambridge doesn't do those....:erm:
International Foundation courses are NOT degree courses. They are preparatory courses that improve your English and teach you what you should have learnt from doing 3 A levels.

There are such programs in Cambrride - but they have nothing to do with the University.

For example -http://www.camre.ac.uk/International/Foundation%20Programmes/UFIFP.asp
OR
http://www.abbeycambridge.co.uk/subjects-and-courses/university-foundation-programme.aspx

Neither guarentee that Cambridge, or any other British University, would be interested in accepting you. Your parents money would be better spent on a course that would give you 3 top grade A levels.
You can stop answering now I've made up my mind i won't apply

If you are doing those a levels next year then you can apply. There's really no point in not applying cos you won't loose anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are going to be sitting 4 A levels next summer, you might be better off applying once you have your grades. You'd need at least A* A* A A to be a competitive post-results applicant, I think.
I'm confused, so you got aaab in your as and you're asking whether you can apply?
So ive got these results i am applying for engineering(I am an international student)
GCSE: 3A*, 2As
AS: B(1% off an A:mad:!)

Is it impossible to get into cambridge with a B? I also don't think they're ONLY looking for good grades, (albert einstein and hawking were average and they got in) I am passionate about what I study and I am also an applied math tutor for failing students in my school and my teacher reference WILL be strong so should I give it a go or just apply somewhere else? And also, if I tell them I'll resit will that raise my chances of getting in? Please don't sugarcoat the truth just tell me

....................... :confused:

No, I don't think you'd get in with only 5 GCSEs and 1 AS to be honest. That's the un-sugarcoated truth.
Original post by ash_bash95
I got 2A*'s and 8A's at GCSE and 3A's at AS level (with an A in A level maths which should be able to push up to A*) I'm doing further maths this year at A level, I would like to apply to cambridge to do chemical engineering, is it worth my while with these grades to apply, honestly?

Your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge, to be honest, they don't really care about them. Whether you got an interview would all depend on the percentages of your As at AS, ~90% or more and you'd stand a good chance :h:
out of curiosity how do my GCSEs rank along side others that are trying to get into oxbridge?
6A*, 3A, 2B???
Deleted Post
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Millerman
out of curiosity how do my GCSEs rank along side others that are trying to get into oxbridge?
6A*, 3A, 2B???

Cambridge count your best 8 gcse's only. So 6A* and 2A are more than good enough for it. Btw I have similar grades as you (I got 6A* 4A and a B and one short course A* and one short course B) . It's your AS ums which matters much more and depending on the course you are applying for they also look at what other things you have done to expand your knowledge on the course you are applying for.

Edit: Also I found this as well: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Deleted Post
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending