The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalai Llama
The style of teaching, as in supervisions etc, really appeals to me, as well as the breadth of the Archeology course. I had no idea that there was going to be a new course until a few days ago and it looks amazing. I was thinking about applying for HSPS this year but I was worried that my UMS was too low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case go for it. :smile:
(With a Plan B, just in case...)

Did you see the Peterhouse thread about the course?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3893107
Original post by jneill
In that case go for it. :smile:
(With a Plan B, just in case...)

Did you see the Peterhouse thread about the course?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3893107

Thanks! And thank you for the thread link, but isn't it inactive now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalai Llama
Thanks! And thank you for the thread link, but isn't it inactive now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but if you have questions I'm sure Peterhouse will still answer them in their Q&A.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4057087
Ask the Admissions Team - 2017 entry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes, but if you have questions I'm sure Peterhouse will still answer them in their Q&A.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4057087
Ask the Admissions Team - 2017 entry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Original post by crazykiwi
I know that AS+A levels are more important, but I was wondering what GCSEs would be good enough. I want to do History if that helps, and I'm choosing my options in March-April, and I want to do:

English Lang.
English Lit.
French
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Drama
History
Citizenship (I'm not too sure about this one, any advice on this course?)

Hello history of art is good A level?
Original post by Lucasta
Hello history of art is good A level?

For which course? And what are your other A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
For which course? And what are your other A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For B.a English or History
Original post by Lucasta
For B.a English or History

And your other A-levels...?

But yes it's perfectly good for a humanities course.

Have a look at
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/subjectmatters.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
And your other A-levels...?

But yes it's perfectly good for a humanities course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

other A level history -french-spanish-english literature
with as level sociology-italian-english Language-politcs
Original post by Lucasta
other A level history -french-spanish-english literature
with as level sociology-italian-english Language-politcs

Why so many ASs? It's completely unnecessary on top of 5 A-Levels (which is also 2 more than required and won't benefit you. It's very much quality not quantity for Cambridge.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Why so many ASs? It's completely unnecessary on top of 5 A-Levels (which is also 2 more than required and won't benefit you. It's very much quality not quantity for Cambridge.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok just 2 as level sociology ,italian?
it's ok?
Original post by Lucasta
ok just 2 as level sociology ,italian?
it's ok?

For arts & humanities courses many applicants will have 3 A-levels and one additional AS (or EPQ). 4 A-levels is fine but don't add extra AS-levels on top. It's too much work in Y12.

So you are currently planning on
A-level: history of art, history, french, spanish, english literature
And AS-level: sociology, italian, english language, politcs

Just to be clear, you are aware that A-levels are 2 year subjects?

Are you at a British school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
For arts & humanities courses many applicants will have 3 A-levels and one additional AS (or EPQ). 4 A-levels is fine but don't add extra AS-levels on top. It's too much work in Y12.

So you are currently planning on
A-level: history of art, history, french, spanish, english literature
And AS-level: sociology, italian, english language, politcs

Just to be clear, you are aware that A-levels are 2 year subjects?

Are you at a British school?

no,sorry,i'm italian,i'm mature student
Original post by Lucasta
no,sorry,i'm italian,i'm mature student

3 A-Levels will probably be enough, no additional AS levels, plus perhaps the IELTS English qualification.

Have you even checked the entry requirements for the courses?

Also have a look at the 21+ thread hosted by Lucy Cavendish college.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2878031
Ask an Admissions Tutor - applying at 21+

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm in the middle of AS levels at the moment and fear that I'm not doing well. I want to apply to Cambridge for Maths but definately dropped a mark in c1 (the only maths exam yet) and did terribly in economics (probably only around 70%). What do I need in terms of ums scores to stand a chance?
Original post by DotDotDot...
I'm in the middle of AS levels at the moment and fear that I'm not doing well. I want to apply to Cambridge for Maths but definately dropped a mark in c1 (the only maths exam yet) and did terribly in economics (probably only around 70%). What do I need in terms of ums scores to stand a chance?

"dropped a mark in c1"? So you think you have 74/75? That's obviously not a problem...

And, regarding economics, don't stress. The only thing they are really interested in for Maths, is your maths.

Get 90+ ish for maths and you will probably get invited for interview. Anything below 90 or even at 90 is extremely unlikely unfortunately unless its stupid modules like D1 D2 pulling the scores down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
"dropped a mark in c1"? So you think you have 74/75? That's obviously not a problem...

And, regarding economics, don't stress. The only thing they are really interested in for Maths, is your maths.

Original post by physicsmaths
Get 90+ ish for maths and you will probably get invited for interview. Anything below 90 or even at 90 is extremely unlikely unfortunately unless its stupid modules like D1 D2 pulling the scores down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - thats made me less nervous. I think I'll do fine in maths it's just the others I'm worried about because I heard they were looking for high (mid nineties ish) ums marks in everything.
Thanks - thats made me less nervous. I think I'll do fine in maths it's just the others I'm worried about because I heard they were looking for high (mid nineties ish) ums marks in everything.

Well it will definately help alot.
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to apply (2017 entry) for LAW
Okay, so I went to a god awful state school (regularly worst in the borough and ofsted was in all 5 years I was there) and i got:

GCSEs:
4 A*s- English language, English literature, Business Studies and RE
7 As - History, Geography, Core Science, Additional Science, Maths, Health and Social, ICT
1 C - German (taken over one year, Bs in speaking and writing, but was only allowed to enter on the foundation paper)

Basically for various reasons to do with poor marking of coursework from teachers and sitting things in year 9 over one year with constantly absent teachers, I should have a lot more A*s than I do.

I now attend a much better state school for 6th form. I currently take: 4 A-levels

English Literature: predicted A, unsure about what I'll get back as a result in the summer, likely a B, bordering A.
Psychology: predicted A, been on A's all year.
Law: Predicted A, As all year
History: Predicted A, As all year

I'm also doing a law EPQ, am sticking up on work experience, super cirriculars this year at various places. I was accepted into both Durham and Cambride for summer schools but had to go for Durham because they're giving me a guaranteed offer.

I feel I'm definitely capable of A*s in Law and Psychology next year, and could most likely manage an A* in history next year too.

Do I have a realistic chance as an applicant for law? And are any of my subjects too "soft" or will I be looked down upon in any way for the subjects I take? Also, should I drop English or keep it on in light of that, even if no matter what I do my grade barely seems to improve and the workload eats away at my time for other subjects?

Thank you if you managed to spare enough energy to get to the end of such a long post ๐Ÿ˜Š
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply