The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Should have applied!
I'm planning on applying after A2, to make up for the C's :/
Reply 782
A thirteen-year-old in college, eh? A school in which "no one in our school has ever got an A", and yet you were only "one of the top achieves [sic]", eh?

I smell a :troll:
Original post by BJack
A thirteen-year-old in college, eh? A school in which "no one in our school has ever got an A", and yet you were only "one of the top achieves [sic]", eh?

I smell a :troll:

It's actually for my friend who doesn't have the student room.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Then it will depend on your A2 results.
Original post by Llewellyn
Then it will depend on your A2 results.

Let's say I get a minimum of 90% in both;
- Philosophy
- Politics
- Psychology
Original post by Polymetric
Let's say I get a minimum of 90% in both;
- Philosophy
- Politics
- Psychology

Yes.

To be frank you AS levels were of a high enough standard to get an interview. I know it's too late now, but if you do as well this year there isn't any reason why you shouldn't apply (GCSEs almost won't matter once you have A levels)
So I've applied to King's for Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, and was wondering if I have much of a chance at getting admitted!

GCSE's: 2A*s, 3As, 5Bs, 1D

AS: 5As (one is General Studies though), with an average of 83% UMS in my three most relevant subjects (English, History, Classical Civilisation).

Thoughts?

Bear
Original post by Carys_eaton
I am currently in college, my GCSE grades were

Maths- A
English Lit- A*
English Lan - B (I'm retaking it next week)
Physics - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A*
History- A
Geography - A
Religious Education - A
French B- Getting it remarked, and my teacher but me on the wrong exam for one (foundation) where I couldn't get above a C
IT - DiDa- Pass

My school achieved satisfactory at ofsted, and I was one of the top achieves there. I would like to study natural sciences at Cambridge.

A- Levels:
Biology
Chemistry
English Lit
Maths
Critical Thinking
General Studies
Thanks xx

Most emphasis is put on AS grades, your GCSEs are not going to make much difference for Natural Sciences. However you do need to be getting consistantly high A/A*s in all your science AS - you will need to work harder on those subjects at AS to get the necessary grades, as A-levels are a big step up on GCSEs.

However at this point we can't really give you much information about your chances as you haven't taken AS yet.

Your choice of A-levels is ok but could be improved - applications obviously focus on the sciences you've done; taking either Physics or Further Maths would improve things. Critical Thinking and General Studies are not even going to be looked at, English lit is only going to factor in as a 4th subject and even then not very strongly.
Woo power to the Classical Civilisation!

Your GCSEs could be stronger, may I ask what your 'D' was in? Is it a subject relevant to your degree? Though, your AS Levels seem to show that your GCSEs aren't illustrative of your academic potential at least (well done by the way! 5As!)

Other than the D at GCSE (and perhaps the large amount of Bs you achieved), the only concern that I'd have if I was in your shoes was the low percentage at AS. As you probably know, Cambridge want A*AA or above, and an A* is typically 90%+. You aren't showing that you're that close to the 90% threshold at the moment, but that isn't to say that wont change this year! What are your predicted grades, may I ask?

You have a chance, of course you do, you have 5As at AS, three of which are in very relevant/closely linked subjects, and subjects which are very respected. I'd stop worrying about your grades if I were you, and if you are invited to an interview, work on showing them how much potential you have and your passion for your subject to make up for the low UMS (by Oxbridge standards let me emphasise! You've amazingly, amazingly well you should be so proud of yourself) at AS.

I hope I helped. X
GCSE:
- English Lit : A
- English Lang : A
- R.E : A*
- Drama : A
- History : A
- Chemistry : B
- Physics : C
- Biology : C
- Maths : C

AS Level
- Philosophy : A 94%
- Politics : A 91%
- Psychology : A 98%
- English Lit/Lang : A 89%

Is there any point applying for Philosophy with such utterly poor GCSE's?

Thwarted by the science subjects! My only Bs and Cs were in 2Bs in Bio and Physics and a C in Chemistry! Damn things!

Please, please apply! Your UMS scored are fantastic, and while your GCSEs aren't necessarily that GCSEs results that a lot of Oxbridgers tend to have, your AS levels are right up there with the average/to high UMS for those applying to humanities subjects.

DEFINITELY apply if thats what you want! AS/A2 is 10x more important than GCSEs. x
Hey :biggrin: yeah, you have to love the class civ (y)

My D was in ICT... (ooops :colondollar:), so not relevant in any way shape or form, but still bad ^^.

As to my predicted grades - I don't actually know, I haven't been told and didn't really think to enquire!

I'm hoping I will be able to boost my UMS with January resits and A2 - "fortunately" I achieved over 90% in all my paper 2 exams and over 70% in all my paper 1s, which is good from a resit point of view (and at least shows I can achieve high percentages?). Of course, resits at this stage means nout :P.

I was wondering, do you think a strong interview (I can hope :P) would make up for my sub-optimal UMS scores? I have done a fair amount of reading around the subject too, so I think I will be able to come across as having a strong interest and a real passion for the subject... IF I get an interview, which is likely thanks to the extremely small amount of people applying for the subject!

Bear
Original post by misanthropicbear
Hey :biggrin: yeah, you have to love the class civ (y)

My D was in ICT... (ooops :colondollar:), so not relevant in any way shape or form, but still bad ^^.

As to my predicted grades - I don't actually know, I haven't been told and didn't really think to enquire!

I'm hoping I will be able to boost my UMS with January resits and A2 - "fortunately" I achieved over 90% in all my paper 2 exams and over 70% in all my paper 1s, which is good from a resit point of view (and at least shows I can achieve high percentages?). Of course, resits at this stage means nout :P.

I was wondering, do you think a strong interview (I can hope :P) would make up for my sub-optimal UMS scores? I have done a fair amount of reading around the subject too, so I think I will be able to come across as having a strong interest and a real passion for the subject... IF I get an interview, which is likely thanks to the extremely small amount of people applying for the subject!

Bear

I think your predicted grades is very important because the entry requirements at Cambridge specifically ask for A*AA so it would be pretty important to have been predicted at least one A* (especially as, though half of many of your exams were near the 90% threshold, the averaged out closer to 80).

Do you have any extenuating circumstances for the resits? Be careful with resits because Cambridge (so I've heard) don't like too many of them 2/3 max.

Being an applicant myself I can't give you any successful/unsuccessful applicant advice personally but I can pass on what I've been told from several friends that are there! They have all stressed the importance of the interview and to make sure that you revise you subjects you are studying so you can be prepared for any questions they may fire at you. It is important to remember though that your application is viewed in its entirety, not just on the interview and academic merit is just as important.

I should think you'd get an interview,as like you say, ASNAC is very under-subscribed compared to other subjects at Cambridge! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! uJst be yourself, if its meant to be, its meant to be! Whatever happens you should be incredibly proud of yourself! x
Original post by hogwartian1993
Thwarted by the science subjects! My only Bs and Cs were in 2Bs in Bio and Physics and a C in Chemistry! Damn things!

Please, please apply! Your UMS scored are fantastic, and while your GCSEs aren't necessarily that GCSEs results that a lot of Oxbridgers tend to have, your AS levels are right up there with the average/to high UMS for those applying to humanities subjects.

DEFINITELY apply if thats what you want! AS/A2 is 10x more important than GCSEs. x

The whole oxbridge thing has kind of consumed my life. I feel if I don't end up at Cambridge, I've failed. Will my GCSEs pull me down in such a selective subject as Philosophy?
i think you've got it in the bag. For the most part; you might be called in for an interview and they'll ask you WHAT HAPPENED! If there was something going on then - let them know. none is impervious to change. If they have doubts they'd probably test you - exams! Your AS scares (UMS) are amazing and you should focus on that. move on and live life mang...
The whole oxbridge thing has kind of consumed my life. I feel if I don't end up at Cambridge, I've failed. Will my GCSEs pull me down in such a selective subject as Philosophy?

This is the thing with Cambridge; its finding the courage and fortitude of character to be brave enough and apply. If you're anything like me, the idea of failing at something is enough to make your blood run cold (I imagine my Boggart to be the same as Hermione Granger's to some extent). What you have to realise though is there are going to be many, many more situations like this in your life and, win or lose, it is what makes you who you are. Being able to apply to Cambridge is an enormous achievement in itself, and whether you get rejected or accepted the fact you had the academic and strength of character to apply is admirable.

Although it may feel it right now, not getting into Cambridge doesn't equate to failure, and its unhealthy to apply with that mindset. There are days when I imagine what it will feel like if/when I get that rejection letter in the post, but its part of life. Do all you can do, be all you can be and if they don't want you when you know you're so passionate and dedicated to your subject then you really must see it as their loss.

Don't make your life revolve around the Cambridge dream, I know people who have and its nearly destroyed them. Most that apply don't get in and most in the country dont have the academic merit and courage to apply; please be proud of yourself for what you've achieved and what you've accomplished, not one decision from one university among a vast, vast array of prestigious institutions for Higher Education in the UK. Your results prove your excellence, don't rely on Cambridge to validate you.

Your GCSEs are one facet of your application, its impossible to say whether or not they'll make or break it. Just focus on what you can do and can achieve now instead of lingering on the past. You're in a good position, just focus on that. x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 796
Original post by misanthropicbear
So I've applied to King's for Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, and was wondering if I have much of a chance at getting admitted!

GCSE's: 2A*s, 3As, 5Bs, 1D

AS: 5As (one is General Studies though), with an average of 83% UMS in my three most relevant subjects (English, History, Classical Civilisation).

Thoughts?

Bear

It all depends what you mean by "much of a chance". 50% of ASNAC students get an offer, one of the best ratios there are. Your AS show progression from GCSEs. However you will need to out-perform the 90-95% average students at interview (if there are lots of them). For now all you can do is read as widely around the subject as you can and try to get an academic practice interview from somebody who knows something about your subject.
Reply 797
Minor point but next time call it King's College to avoid confusion with KCL which is usually the one that gets the plain "King's" nickname. I came on here thinking it was going to be a KCL thread.
Reply 798
Hi guys, i am really worried about cambridge university medicine entrance for 2014 because of my gcse grades:
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Maths- A*
Ict- Distinction(A*A)
Geography- A
English Literature-B
English Language -C
Music -C
I really want to cambridge but because I got C in English Language the Gcses doesnt look really great. And also English is not my first language, I came to UK in 2009 but I tried my best though😔. I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths in my AS and I try really hard, i will be able to get straight As or even 2 or 3 A*. Do you guys think that I should hope for cambridge for medicine 2014 entry or i dont stand a chance and should focus for other universities.... Please reply.... I really need help
Reply 799
Hi guys, i am really worried about cambridge university medicine entrance for 2014 because of my gcse grades:
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Maths- A*
Ict- Distinction(A*A)
Geography- A
English Literature-B
English Language -C
Music -C
I really want to cambridge but because I got C in English Language the Gcses doesnt look really great. And also English is not my first language, I came to UK in 2009 but I tried my best though������. I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths in my AS and if i try really hard, i will be able to get straight As or even 2 or 3 A*. Do you guys think that I should hope for cambridge for medicine 2014 entry or i dont stand a chance and should focus for other universities.... I know its abit early but i really need to know. Please reply.... I really need help
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending