Access to Health Professions Help? Watch

ShadowWolf21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone

It's getting closer and closer to when I start my access course and I'm starting to get nervous. Not because of the workload etc, just because I'm so scared that the universities won't accept me even if I pass with the entry requirements they want!

I'm just sort of interested in other people who had experiences with this course (or one similar to it) and got into university? I'm really nervous because I've risked quite a lot to do this, and I'm so adamant that I get to university and study Radiography!

How did you find the workload? Did you manage a part-time job too? What was your university interview like?

I'd really appreciate as much help as possible! I know I'm being a little silly, because I've gotten onto the course and everything, but the career at the end is what really matters to me (and the university course obviously), and I know my confidence will disappear if I don't get into a university in 2013!

Thank you in advance

ShadowWolf21 (aka Emily)
Jaymie452
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi

I did an access course this year, Access to science, and it got me into the University of Birmingham to study Biochemistry which I'm starting next month. I managed to secure a place quite comfortably without having to attend an interview. I had offers from every uni I applied to and with the exception of Aston (which asked for literally full marks in every single unit) they were all fair and achievable offers. I got 36 distinctions out of 45 and Birmingham were asking for 12 distinctions and everything else no lower than a merit so I had a fair bit of room for maneuver. Birmingham was the uni asking for the highest marks (again with the exception of Aston) out of all that I applied to, I applied to Nottingham Trent and they literally just asked me to pass the access course which to be honest would have taken very little effort to achieve.
Quite a few people on my course were applying for NHSy courses like radiography, physiotherapy, dietetics, etc and they all received achievable offers and all (to the best of my knowledge) secured places a a uni. I think the highest a uni asked for was 30 distinctions and that was to study dietetics at Coventry uni.
It very much depends on what uni you're applying to and what their attitude is towards access courses and Mature students as a whole. The careers staff at my college suggested that many Unis actually prefer mature students and would rather offer them a place than your standard 18 year old, which on the whole we thought added up considering the offer we all got.

The workload on my course was fairly intense at some points but it was manageable, the tutors are usually very helpful if you're struggling. I didn't personally have a part time job but a couple of the guys on my course did and they still did well.
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for the reply ^^

I know for a fact that the universities I'm applying to all ask their applicants to Diagnostic Radiography in for an interview. Which luckily I've found out the college has classes to improve your interview confidence and skills!

You've set me at ease, because some people have been telling me some scary stories about access courses, but some people are saying it's not as demanding as A-Levels are portrayed to be (which I've already done).

I think I'm just worried un-necessarily, which is a habit of mine
Jaymie452
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What scary stories did you hear?
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
That universities don't interview access students, they prefer A-Level students. That having part-time work hinders you. How difficult the work was etc. Just those kind of scary things, you know.

As I said, I'm not scared about the work load, more the universities not accepting me!
jami74
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's getting closer and closer to when I start my access course and I'm starting to get nervous. Not because of the workload etc, just because I'm so scared that the universities won't accept me even if I pass with the entry requirements they want!
I got four offers, met them all and will be starting at my first choice in September. I was also really worried about not getting any offers and was surprised when I did. I was very nervous but I checked with the universities that they accepted my access course before I started, definately do this as some access courses are more respected than others.

How did you find the workload? Did you manage a part-time job too? What was your university interview like?
I worked one day a week and also have a family. The course I did was very intense (we did over 90 credits altogether!) but I just kept calm and ploughed on. To be honest I wasn't sure if I would manage but decided that I would just do my best and managed to get through it with good results.

I had four interviews and they were all different. One was an open day complete with refreshments and an 'informal chat', another was a group discussion about a topic unrelated to our subject. One was quite unpleasant because the interviewer just fired questions and ticked boxes and didn't give any encouragement but I'm sure that was down to the interviewer rather than the university because some of the other interviewers looked more friendly. One involved a written test and then the interviewers asked questions about subjects I had been studying. It seems different universities were looking for different things, some wanted to see communication skills, some wanted to see subject understanding and some wanted to see understanding for the related job. I found it really helped to read the relevant forums here to read about other peoples interview experience at the universities I was applying to as it gave me an idea of what to expect.

It's normal to feel nervous before the access course starts. I found the last year to be quite emotional with all its ups and downs but I've enjoyed every minute of it and I'm definately far more confident about my academic ability.
Jaymie452
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jami74)
I got four offers, met them all and will be starting at my first choice in September. I was also really worried about not getting any offers and was surprised when I did. I was very nervous but I checked with the universities that they accepted my access course before I started, definately do this as some access courses are more respected than others.

I worked one day a week and also have a family. The course I did was very intense (we did over 90 credits altogether!) but I just kept calm and ploughed on. To be honest I wasn't sure if I would manage but decided that I would just do my best and managed to get through it with good results.

I had four interviews and they were all different. One was an open day complete with refreshments and an 'informal chat', another was a group discussion about a topic unrelated to our subject. One was quite unpleasant because the interviewer just fired questions and ticked boxes and didn't give any encouragement but I'm sure that was down to the interviewer rather than the university because some of the other interviewers looked more friendly. One involved a written test and then the interviewers asked questions about subjects I had been studying. It seems different universities were looking for different things, some wanted to see communication skills, some wanted to see subject understanding and some wanted to see understanding for the related job. I found it really helped to read the relevant forums here to read about other peoples interview experience at the universities I was applying to as it gave me an idea of what to expect.

It's normal to feel nervous before the access course starts. I found the last year to be quite emotional with all its ups and downs but I've enjoyed every minute of it and I'm definately far more confident about my academic ability.
90 credits?! Mine had like 70 in total but a few were optional. Were they all levels 3? Which access course did you do?
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
I checked them all, and only one asks for a specific access course, the others just mentioned Access to Health Studies (and/or similar names). My access course is called Access to Health Related Studies and I do a Double Life Sciences module which is all Biology-based looking at the course content. Will this be sufficient? It's 60 credits which I hope is enough :confused:

I've applied to:
University of SalfordUniversity of Liverpool
University of Leeds
University of Bradford
Birmingham City University or University of Derby (I can't decide out of these two).

I'm just so nervous, but I really want to be a Radiographer. I've written on a few other threads about why, and someone who works at Bradford University said she could see how enthusiastic about Radiography I was, so if I put this across as well as my knowledge, experience, and then got 45 credits at distinction I should get offers etc. Oh, and my personal statement is important also.
Jaymie452
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ShadowWolf21)
I checked them all, and only one asks for a specific access course, the others just mentioned Access to Health Studies (and/or similar names). My access course is called Access to Health Related Studies and I do a Double Life Sciences module which is all Biology-based looking at the course content. Will this be sufficient? It's 60 credits which I hope is enough :confused:

I've applied to:
University of SalfordUniversity of Liverpool
University of Leeds
University of Bradford
Birmingham City University or University of Derby (I can't decide out of these two).

I'm just so nervous, but I really want to be a Radiographer. I've written on a few other threads about why, and someone who works at Bradford University said she could see how enthusiastic about Radiography I was, so if I put this across as well as my knowledge, experience, and then got 45 credits at distinction I should get offers etc. Oh, and my personal statement is important also.
60 credits is the norm, will definitely be enough.

And if you get 45 at distinction very few unis will turn that down
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jaymie452)
60 credits is the norm, will definitely be enough.

And if you get 45 at distinction very few unis will turn that down
That's reassuring! I'm going to get 45 distinction credits (I'm determined!) but I was just worried they'd see that I was an access student and pick someone with A-Levels over me
Jaymie452
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyone kind of worries about the same thing when on an access course, but it never really materialised for anyone on my course. It does get a bit stressful after you send off your application and waiting to hear from the uni though.
jami74
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
90 credits?! Mine had like 70 in total but a few were optional. Were they all levels 3? Which access course did you do?
I did Access to Medicine and Biosciences. There were some level 2 credits. To be honest it was only at the end when I added them up that I realised how many I'd done but like you say you use 60 for the Access qualification so any more than that is just extra work. I didn't mind because all of the units were relevant to what I will be doing at university so it was good preparation.

That's reassuring! I'm going to get 45 distinction credits (I'm determined!) but I was just worried they'd see that I was an access student and pick someone with A-Levels over me
There might be some courses that prefer A'levels (maybe things like Physics or Maths) but I think for alot of degrees, especially vocational degrees, access courses are happily accepted.
Jaymie452
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Access to Medicine and Biosciences. There were some level 2 credits. To be honest it was only at the end when I added them up that I realised how many I'd done but like you say you use 60 for the Access qualification so any more than that is just extra work. I didn't mind because all of the units were relevant to what I will be doing at university so it was good preparation.

There might be some courses that prefer A'levels (maybe things like Physics or Maths) but I think for alot of degrees, especially vocational degrees, access courses are happily accepted.
What you studying at uni?
jami74
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What you studying at uni?
Pharmacy at Brighton
darreng
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did an Access to Health and Social Care (Science Pathway) last year and I start at UCS in a few weeks studying Radiography :-) My offer was 45 credits at merit or above.
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
Let's hope all goes well for me! I'm more than determined, so that should all pay off I hope! I'm prepared to work my butt off
Soule
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Access students normally apply before A Level students and a lot (not all) respond with an offer fairly quickly, I had 3 out of 5 offers prior to Christmas and 2 of those came within 2 days of me submitting my application. The last 2 did wait until January, but I still got offers from them.

I think unis get extra funding for mature students, or they are set targets to accept a certain number.

In fact, my Access course, only 5 people didnt receive offers of some sort, and that was down to their lack of experience due to applying for paramedics or midwifery.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i
Jaymie452
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Soule)
Access students normally apply before A Level students and a lot (not all) respond with an offer fairly quickly, I had 3 out of 5 offers prior to Christmas and 2 of those came within 2 days of me submitting my application. The last 2 did wait until January, but I still got offers from them.

I think unis get extra funding for mature students, or they are set targets to accept a certain number.

In fact, my Access course, only 5 people didnt receive offers of some sort, and that was down to their lack of experience due to applying for paramedics or midwifery.

Not one person on my course didnt receive an offer
Soule
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thats good going, the 5 were spread over 3 campuses and 120 students.

ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
That's so reassuring! I've already done most of my UCAS application, I'm just writing my personal statement now. Seeing as it's the second time I'm writing one, it'll hopefully be spot on, but I'll let my Access tutors look at it before I send it off. Just to be on the safe side

Thank you all for the reassurances! I'm just panicking because it's a big deal

What did everyone go on to do at university? And where did you go? (I'm nosy like that )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads