This discussion is closed.
AboveMyChamberD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How far do you agree that the lifestyle at Oxbridge not only centres around work - as it should at such an academic place - but is engulfed by it? What im asking is, do people at Oxbridge spend (or a significant proportion) of their time working? What's the social life like? Is everybody the school "nerd", who makes up for what they lack in social-skills/fun-seeking by being incredibly smart?
Would you say it's worth signing up for such intense labour, because the quality of conversation is so much more intelligent than at high school, or because people make the most of their free time?

In short, i'm asking do people at Oxbridge get really drunk and do "outrageous things", because i'm having a hard time imagining the smartest people in the country getting totally wasted on Strongbow!!

Cheers (no pun intended)
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AboveMyChamberD)

In short, i'm asking do people at Oxbridge get really drunk and do "outrageous things", because i'm having a hard time imagining the smartest people in the country getting totally wasted on Strongbow!!
Yes. Apparently we're intelligent; but that doesn't mean we're abnormal!
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AboveMyChamberD)
How far do you agree that the lifestyle at Oxbridge not only centres around work - as it should at such an academic place - but is engulfed by it? What im asking is, do people at Oxbridge spend (or a significant proportion) of their time working? What's the social life like? Is everybody the school "nerd", who makes up for what they lack in social-skills/fun-seeking by being incredibly smart?
Would you say it's worth signing up for such intense labour, because the quality of conversation is so much more intelligent than at high school, or because people make the most of their free time?

Cheers (no pun intended)

The vast majority of private school kids (especially boarding school) get wreck headed all the time, and seen as how about half of the students are from such schools, the answer is a resounding yes.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.geocities.com/musicplanet4k/
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd imagine it to be more along the lines of "We got totally wasted and went punting" than "We got totally wasted then stayed in the club until 8am."
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I'd imagine it to be more along the lines of "We got totally wasted and went punting" than "We got totally wasted then stayed in the club until 8am."
True. Most of the Cambridge clubs shut at 2 though so the second option is not technically possible. Drunken punting does happen quite a lot though, but I haven't done it yet
Alex_R
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
After the boat club dinner last night people got wasted and went swimming in very cold water in the fellow's garden.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
After the boat club dinner last night people got wasted and went swimming in very cold water in the fellow's garden.
Whereas after our boat club dinner people got wasted and came into our staircase at 1am :mad: Had to go down and chuck them out several times. Would have been better if they'd gone in the river.

Is your fellows' garden the one with the really long fishpond, Alex? Or is that the Master's? I can't remember; I was only about 6 when I went there.
Alex_R
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Whereas after our boat club dinner people got wasted and came into our staircase at 1am :mad: Had to go down and chuck them out several times. Would have been better if they'd gone in the river.

Is your fellows' garden the one with the really long fishpond, Alex? Or is that the Master's? I can't remember; I was only about 6 when I went there.
It has a swimming pool, a very old, dirty disused one. This is why everyone in the first boat now has illness. Apparently as part of our 2005 500th anniversary appeal we are getting it done up.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alex_R)
It has a swimming pool, a very old, dirty disused one. This is why everyone in the first boat now has illness. Apparently as part of our 2005 500th anniversary appeal we are getting it done up.
Hmmm, I definitely remember a fishpond. Must have been the Master's garden. Boatie dinners are the funniest for drunken stories though. Our second boat had to drink 100 sherries between them - bet they were happy in the morning! :eek:

Are you ill too then Alex? There's some bug going round the Clare medics as well, but I don't think it's the same thing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (169)
24.82%
Better than expected (141)
20.7%
Worse than expected (371)
54.48%

Watched Threads